Is this Normal???

CrossFitKila717

Hey all, 

My setup is Gateway (set for IP Passthrough) - Duma R1 - PS4, Xbox, laptop & Wifi router all hardwired to the Duma.....the WiFi router is set to AP mode. I thought all I should see under Network Devices would be just the modem (Gateway) - Duma - PS4 & Xbox - WiFi router? Just curious as to why I’m seeing EVERYTHING that’s connected wirelessly to my router that’s in AP mode? It may be affecting my distribution? 

And what’s the top portion of devices showing offline? So weird!

Thanks!

FE1C169B-42EA-4B1F-9FAF-0FCA7EB45DB7.jpeg

• Administrators

That's normal as the AP router doesn't give the devices IP addresses, the R1 is doing that. AP is just extending WiFi coverage essentially unless put in router mode. If those devices aren't currently using internet then they will appear offline.

Why does it show “2” WNDR4500v3? That’s my WiFi router of course but somehow reading it twice? 

Also, out of curiosity, does it change the way the Duma handles the extra load / congestion with it showing all devices versus only showing the router (if it was in routing mode)? I ask because of course my flower petals have ALL devices equally divided, in this case 9% going to each device.........whereas when my router is in routing mode, I’ve only got 3 devices on the flower, showing 33%. 

Okay that's interesting... The only reason that it would show the router twice is if it had two separate MAC addresses. Perhaps it's forwarding the MAC addresses of devices connected to it, but they appear as if they're the router itself rather than the devices connected to it? How many devices are connected to the wifi router?

5 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Okay that's interesting... The only reason that it would show the router twice is if it had two separate MAC addresses. Perhaps it's forwarding the MAC addresses of devices connected to it, but they appear as if they're the router itself rather than the devices connected to it? How many devices are connected to the wifi router?

So, weird thing is that the “XBOX ONE” & “M” are connected via the WiFi router (WNDR4500V3), yet it shows them connected to the LAN?

Is the WiFi router connected via ethernet? If so, everything connected to the WiFi router will also be seen as Ethernet. The WiFi on the Device Manager tree refers to the internal WiFi in the R1.

What I mean is, DumaOS doesn't know how devices are connected to the WiFi router, it can't see that. All it knows is that the WiFi router is connected via ethernet, so it assumes that everything below that is ethernet too.

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Is the WiFi router connected via ethernet? If so, everything connected to the WiFi router will also be seen as Ethernet. The WiFi on the Device Manager tree refers to the internal WiFi in the R1.

What I mean is, DumaOS doesn't know how devices are connected to the WiFi router, it can't see that. All it knows is that the WiFi router is connected via ethernet, so it assumes that everything below that is ethernet too.

Ahhhhhhh, got it. Makes sense. Yes, the WiFi router is in AP Mode & connected to Duma via Ethernet. 

But......the question is, does it affect device distribution/congestion control due to it seeing them as all separate devices versus only seeing just the WiFi router “if” it was placed in router mode?