Help becoming the next YouTube sensation

daz

Ok that was just a joke but hope I got your attention lol, my son loves watching channels like zebra gamer and his birthday's coming up (only 7) and he really wants to make some videos for YouTube so was wondering what is the bare minimum kit we need to get him, he plays switch , Wii u and Wii and we just want him set up to play games and talk nonsense commentary (no facecam)  we also don't have time to be editing videos for him so what he records will be uploaded virtually raw.

So what capture card will do the job nothing fancy?

What microphone ?

And what other kit is needed?

Any kind of headset would work. Since there won't be facecam, it doesn't really matter if it looks silly. As N3CR0 says, a capture card is needed.

There's software out there like OBS studio which is essentially just click to record, click to save, drag and drop to upload. There are lots of free/open source video editing tools out there which should suffice for simple trimming.

2 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Any kind of headset would work. Since there won't be facecam, it doesn't really matter if it looks silly. As N3CR0 says, a capture card is needed.

There's software out there like OBS studio which is essentially just click to record, click to save, drag and drop to upload. There are lots of free/open source video editing tools out there which should suffice for simple trimming.

I thought there wasnt any headsets for the switch?

34 minutes ago, daz said:

I thought there wasnt any headsets for the switch?

Oh right... So are you going to need to record voice chat or just game audio? On the switch, voice chat will be combined into the main channel if it's available at all. If not it will require their smartphone app.

You could connect a headset with a splitter like the ones available here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/microphone-splitter/s9efzajgq8ro4ab

Put the audio side into the switch's headphone jack or the TV, and put the microphone side into the computer. You can then record the audio alongside the footage/audio from the capture card. This will allow you to balance the voice after recording, so it's not too quiet or too loud.

• 3 weeks later...

The Elgato HD60 gets my vote as well, you can pick up a mic off ebay cheap enough but dont go for really cheap. I guess its all down to your budget. The Elgato comes with software that enables you to do rough edits etc (get rid of the bits where you get wasted). Its also pretty simple to upload to youtube once done as well. Im not sure about twitch but ill have a look and get back to you.