Linking another router to my nighthawk XR500

Long story short, I wanted another router as a single access point for everyone in the house to keep the number of devices down on my device manager page, however, after  linking the 2 successfully and giving WiFi through the Linksys router, all the devices connect and have internet. The problem I’m having, is that all the devices still populate my XR500 device page. They just say LAN instead of WiFi. Am I doing something wrong or is that what it’s supposed to do?

Edited by jungleyi
Misspelled

This is how I have mine setup. You need two different subnets. Google cascade routers lan to wan. The second routers ip setup static in the first routers subnet. Make sure to put this ip in the dmz of the first router. This way you will not have double nat. Mine xr500: 192.168.10.1. So 2nd router set wan to static and ip to 192.168.10.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.10.1 dns 192.168.10.1. Lan on 2nd router 192.168.1.2-50. Connect cat6 to lan on xr500 to wan on 2nd router. Put 192.168.10.2 in dmz of xr500. I turned off everything on xr500. Wireless qos readyshare ect. Just left on upnp. Only have ps4 wired to xr500. Even turned off dhcp and set a static ip of 192.168.10.3 on my ps4. So In my device manager on the xr500, I only have PlayStation and other router. Rest of house on 2nd router.

• Administrators

This is expected behaviour when connecting an AP to the router. You're essentially extending the wireless network of the router and so the router still gives them IP addresses. If you didn't want this then you would put the AP router into router mode but then as others have suggested you may get a double NAT depending on how you choose to setup.

@Sunaikinti Your example is great but my Linksys WRT32x isn’t cooperating with me. I can set a static ip on the 2nd router and put it in the DMZ on the XR500, however, the LAN side of things is where I get stumped. The 2nd router is showing an internet connection through the XR500, but after connecting to the 2nd router with my phone, I get nothing. This is more frustrating than its worth. I have about 15 devices in my home and I just wanted them on a second router. I appreciate your help. Your directions are very clear to understand, but for some reason it’s not complying. I know it’s my fault, but nonetheless it’s frustrating. 

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, jungleyi said:

@Sunaikinti Your example is great but my Linksys WRT32x isn’t cooperating with me. I can set a static ip on the 2nd router and put it in the DMZ on the XR500, however, the LAN side of things is where I get stumped. The 2nd router is showing an internet connection through the XR500, but after connecting to the 2nd router with my phone, I get nothing. This is more frustrating than its worth. I have about 15 devices in my home and I just wanted them on a second router. I appreciate your help. Your directions are very clear to understand, but for some reason it’s not complying. I know it’s my fault, but nonetheless it’s frustrating. 

Do other devices get a connection through the 2nd router in AP mode?