XR300 - VPN Client not available?

Hello! I'm trying to follow the instructions on this page, but I don't see the "VPN Client" option (step 4). https://kb.netgear.com/000053077/What-is-a-gaming-VPN-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Router

Am I missing something? I don't need Hybrid VPN but I would like to be able to route my outbound connections through my VPN provider at the router. Thanks!

Hi @Netduma Alex - it has "VPN Service" (the thing that allows you to create a tunnel to your router's network remotely), but not "VPN Client" as described in the article I posted. I need the article's function, not what I can see on the router right now and yes, I'm running 1.0.3.34_10.3.27 which appears to be the latest firmware version. Ideas? The article specifically calls out the XR300 but I can't figure out how to access what it's telling me.

vpnservice.jpg

• Netduma Staff
17 hours ago, gcharma said:

Any luck with this? For what it's worth I borrowed an XR500 to see if it had this function, and it doesn't either... makes me think the whole page is either intended for a different product line or just plain wrong.

@Netduma Alex

We just had a look in the office to get to the bottom of it - I think Netgear removed this feature from the XR300. I'll see if I can dig out the reason why for you though it's likely a technical limitation of some kind.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators

I think what has happened here is that in the very early days when we were developing DumaOS for the NG routers - the settings pages were literally what you'd see on a normal NG router and that included the VPN Client in the place they mentioned. Since we've both changed the settings to make it flow with the rest of the software and remove features that DumaOS provides, VPN Client was one of them. This was to be replaced with Hybrid VPN which Netgear decided wasn't to be included on the XR300. So basically that whole article is incorrect as the VPN is not located there at all - it seems someone just assumed without looking into it that it would be the same on these new routers.