V2.3.2.40 Not Ready For Prime-time

Hello,

As much as I love the new interface and the functionality of V2.3.2.40 on the Netgear XR500 it falls extremely short of actually working as a router should.  I have spent since the beginning of March of 2019 to attempt to upgrade my router to V2.3.2.40 with very little luck.  There is something happening with the 2.4GHz, DNS, and WPA2 (AES) security settings.  I have had to hard reset this router a multitude of times.  My IoT devices and iPhones refuse to connect saying that there is no internet connection, wireless connections constantly drop.  If I change my DNS settings to anything other than Get Dynamically from ISP, it chokes, if I keep WPA2 (AES) it chokes, if I enable 20/40MHz Coexistence, it chokes.  In the main instructions it states to first make sure the cable modem is connected then connect the router in order for it to be successful.  This has never worked.  EVER.  I first have to start the router and then restart the cable modem.  EVERY TIME.  It has been nothing but a constant battle with this router.  My background is in multimillion dollar streaming infrastructures for large networking corporations and I do happen to know a few things about router configurations and networking and as much as I appreciate all the hard work that all you have done, I would really like the basics to be nailed down first before you move on to the lower priorities.  PLEASE FIX THIS.  THIS IS NOT A CHEAP ROUTER AND THE PROMISES THAT YOUR COMPANY HAVE MADE, HAVE NOT MATCHED ITS PERFORMANCE.

Guest Killhippie
5 hours ago, Jackaloopt said:

Hello,

As much as I love the new interface and the functionality of V2.3.2.40 on the Netgear XR500 it falls extremely short of actually working as a router should.  I have spent since the beginning of March of 2019 to attempt to upgrade my router to V2.3.2.40 with very little luck.  There is something happening with the 2.4GHz, DNS, and WPA2 (AES) security settings.  I have had to hard reset this router a multitude of times.  My IoT devices and iPhones refuse to connect saying that there is no internet connection, wireless connections constantly drop.  If I change my DNS settings to anything other than Get Dynamically from ISP, it chokes, if I keep WPA2 (AES) it chokes, if I enable 20/40MHz Coexistence, it chokes.  In the main instructions it states to first make sure the cable modem is connected then connect the router in order for it to be successful.  This has never worked.  EVER.  I first have to start the router and then restart the cable modem.  EVERY TIME.  It has been nothing but a constant battle with this router.  My background is in multimillion dollar streaming infrastructures for large networking corporations and I do happen to know a few things about router configurations and networking and as much as I appreciate all the hard work that all you have done, I would really like the basics to be nailed down first before you move on to the lower priorities.  PLEASE FIX THIS.  THIS IS NOT A CHEAP ROUTER AND THE PROMISES THAT YOUR COMPANY HAVE MADE, HAVE NOT MATCHED ITS PERFORMANCE.

Having a background in multimillion dollar streaming infrastructures I'm sure you know that trouble shooting helps, like a factory reset using the small hole at the back of the router can help, can I ask if you have tried that?  I have the same router, I use a 63 digit ASCII password and I have no issues whatsoever, either with DNS or with the 2.4Ghz frequency band or AES. I assume you have tried changing the routers mac address to match the original router you had as that may help. What is your setup? i.e. Modem or router in bridge mode, then XR500? Have you tried contacting Netgear support as if you have tried a hard factory reset, reloading the firmware then resetting again and if nothing still works then it would look like you either have a hardware issues or bad networking cables, which is unlikely but can happen. Contacting Netgear would have been my first port of call here.

As I stated I have none of your issues and I beta tested this device and have had two hardware revisions, so I can assure you 2.4Ghz, DNS,  and AES all work and yes with an iPhone too. I am a bit confused as to your  20/40 coexistence issue as it is ticked by default, so if you disable this setting and force it to run at 40mhz you are just being rude to your neighbours and pretty much causing issues to your own Wi-Fi on 2.4Gh like collisions and dropped packets. Leave everything as default. Factory reset the router, turn off the modem connect the WAN port on turn the modem to the WAN port on the router and start the setup. As I have said try changing the routers mac address if needed to your previous routers one, as  some modems have problems with new routers being connected.

Also I understand your frustration but there is not need to shout (Caps) and I would try contacting Netgear support if you have no luck as they built the router and your warranty is with them, as a professional I'm sure you know that's your first port of call with potential hardware issues anyway...

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming as well. You can enable smart connect or disable it. 

I as well have had no problems with my XR router. 

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I would reiterate what has been said here so far. I have never heard of issues with the particular features you're mentioning so that is strange. What browser are you using? Are you using HTTPS? Do you have browser extensions? Have you tried with an incognito browser?

its funny you talk about iPhone not connecting. Ive got a few Apple devices and don't have an issue but my companion popped up and she has an old iPhone 5 and it refuses to join the network. to get around it I set up a guest network and hey presto it joined. 

I can't quite work out why my old iPad 2 and mini work fine yet, iPad pro and macbook connect too but her iPhone just refuses to connect to the main network. 

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Newfie said:

its funny you talk about iPhone not connecting. Ive got a few Apple devices and don't have an issue but my companion popped up and she has an old iPhone 5 and it refuses to join the network. to get around it I set up a guest network and hey presto it joined. 

I can't quite work out why my old iPad 2 and mini work fine yet, iPad pro and macbook connect too but her iPhone just refuses to connect to the main network. 

Do you have smart connect enabled by any chance? Some older devices have trouble with smart connect so could be why the guest network worked as you can't use smart connect with it.

Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, e38BimmerFN said:

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming as well. You can enable smart connect or disable it. 

I as well have had no problems with my XR router. 

Same here,  (iPhone that is, UPnP is still hosed as is the network view in table view mode) Apples guide on Wi-Fi. for now.  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202068

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do you have smart connect enabled by any chance? Some older devices have trouble with smart connect so could be why the guest network worked as you can't use smart connect with it.

I do, thats great now i know why. Its fine on the guest network.