Netduma R1 keeps dropping internet connection

Graham

My Netduma keeps dropping it's connection every ten minutes or so I then have to reboot it to restore the connection which works for another 10 mins or so.

My physical setup is BT Router/Modem > Ethernet cable to port 1 on the Netduma then I am using the wired LAN and WIFI of the Netduma for my office kit.
I can't link my Netduma directly to the WAN connection as it's via copper now RJ45 however the BT Router has internet when the Netduma fails.
Attached is the log file of the Netduma.

One other thing I noticed is the time on the Netduma is 1 hour behind my PC time but I can't see a way to change this and not sure if it's part of the issue or not.

log-1561023079025.txt

• Administrators

Is the BT hub in router or modem mode? If possible could you put this in modem mode please, otherwise put the router WAN IP address found in System Information into the BT hub DMZ and then disable the BT WiFi please. How often do the disconnects occur? Is it on both wired and wireless devices?

I've now added then Netduma to the DMZ the BT hub is in router mode I cannot disable the WIFI as it's used by devices in the house. the netduma lives in my outside office and provides wried and wireless to my office devices. Disconnects are occuring less often since turning off IPv6 and setting the IP of the netduma to static I'll update tomorrow at some point with how it's working.

Yes theoretically it would be better to have the Netduma in the house and the BT Hub in the office, but of course if the BT Hub has better wifi, I can understand why this wouldn't be ideal.

Trust me the BT WIFI is crap however it's a copper modem so I can't use the Netduma to connect to the ISP as it's a cable modem.
So I still have the dropout issue it now runs for about an hour or so no issue before dropping.
I have left downloads running over night as well and they finish and are large downloads with my bad speed the link must be re-establishing itself after a while.

Attached is the latest log file

log-1561385244897.txt

yes for both wired and wireless. The Netduma hasn't crashed and the Netduma wired and WIFI is still working but for some reason it can't get to the BT Hub and I cannot connect to the BT Hub GW 192.168.1.254. once I reboot the Netduma the link comes back instantly and works again.

The issue may well be with a setting on the BT hub but I have no idea what could be causing it. 

OK a correction to my previous post. the Netduma just stopped again and while my laptop was still connected to the WIFI network I was not able to ping my wired NAS which is on the same subnet so when the Netduma has the problem it is also affecting the local Layer 2 network. again a restart and connectivity is back.

• Administrators

Just to confirm the IP for the router you have set to static is the WAN IP located in device manager correct? Not the LAN IP? Can you see on the BT hub if the R1 router gets downtime please?

Is that "always use this IP address" switch greyed out and unusable? I don't know why that would be set to "no" if it was on static anyway.

It says there's no port forwarding although as you said, it's in the DMZ right? So that shouldn't matter.

Always use this IP has the following text 'If enabled, the BT Smart Hub will always attempt to give the device the same IP address every time it connects.;' so DHCP related.

Yes the R1 is in the DMZ

• Administrators

I meant on the BT hub does it have a list of the devices connected and how long they've been connected or anything like that? If so does the hub register the router as going down/having a smaller uptime than other devices connected to it?