What are max the bandwidth speed on XR500?

Hi,

In few months I will be moving to the new apartment, with new internet connection. That's one of the reasons why I am going to buy a router with NetdumaOS, but I don't know which one at the moment. I thought about XR500, but then I watched a YT clip about setting bufferbloat on this router - the guy must have changed max speed on his modem to 100/100 because his XR500 couldn't handle 500/200 speed with Anti-Bufferbloat switched on (window said "Congestion Control Disabled!" as shown in attached img). I'm planning to have 300/20 or 500/30 or 1000/40 internet speed, but I don't know if XR500 will handle it without turning off QoS, Geofilter, AB, etc. What are the limitations of Nighthawk routers in terms of speed? Should I buy XR500 or XR700 considering my needs? And if there's a need to reduce max speed - can I do it just for my PS4 or for all devices in the network? I will be connecting new router to ISP's router in bridge mode.

Thanks for help

Zrzut ekranu 2019-06-10 o 01.53.38.png

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, michalm7362 said:

Hi,

In few months I will be moving to the new apartment, with new internet connection. That's one of the reasons why I am going to buy a router with NetdumaOS, but I don't know which one at the moment. I thought about XR500, but then I watched a YT clip about setting bufferbloat on this router - the guy must have changed max speed on his modem to 100/100 because his XR500 couldn't handle 500/200 speed with Anti-Bufferbloat switched on (window said "Congestion Control Disabled!" as shown in attached img). I'm planning to have 300/20 or 500/30 or 1000/40 internet speed, but I don't know if XR500 will handle it without turning off QoS, Geofilter, AB, etc. What are the limitations of Nighthawk routers in terms of speed? Should I buy XR500 or XR700 considering my needs? And if there's a need to reduce max speed - can I do it just for my PS4 or for all devices in the network? I will be connecting new router to ISP's router in bridge mode.

Thanks for help

Hi, welcome to the forum! The XR500 can easily handle high speeds, but Anti-Bufferbloat would throttle it as it's meant to. It's worth saying that with such high speeds, you won't really require Anti-Bufferbloat - it's built to eliminate congestion / saturation on your network, but with so much bandwidth to spare it's unlikely you'll ever encounter those problems. If you find QoS is limiting your speeds just let us know.

Ultimately both the 500 and 700 can handle Gigabit speeds, and you shouldn't need to do anything special to get that working :)