Had duma for years still can't get to work properly.

wolfeman

Hello,

I have had a few discussions in forums over the time i've had Netduma.  Jack plus others have been suggesting fixes and optimal settings and I appreciate all their insight.

However, months ago I just gave up and unplugged my Duma from my ps4 and connected back to my ISP router/modem combo because I get better connection MBPS from there. I love being able to geo filter etc which is why I purchased Duma, I play mostly CoD and wanted to eliminate the laggy play as much as possible. I followed the optimal setting and tweaked everything to advice given but my duma is basically halfing my internet speed or worse. I cannot figure out why? The only reason I can think of is that im running 70/70 DL-UPL filter as suggested for gameplay. I don't think it should be messing with my speed that much if its the optimal setting.... I am attaching some photos of my speed test today, you can see in the background that my yellow ethernet cable is hooked up to Duma in two and my ISP for other two ( the higher speeds)

image4.jpeg.3725da6da9d5697824be738749ff7a5e.jpeg

The speed difference is significant. My speed package is 25mbps from centurylink. 

Maybe someday I will get to enjoy the wonders of dumaos. lol

image3.jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

image1 (4).jpeg

3 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

I suppose the first thing is to ask the obvious questions:

• Is Bandwidth Allocation being used? 
  • Has Share Excess been Enabled on both the Download and Upload?

All my bandwidth is allocated evenly at the moment.

I am not sure where to find the share Excess option.

My other settings are as follows.

LAN:

ipv6 off

DHCP on

UpnP off

Port forward off, but I have isp router in DMZ

WAN:

ipv6 off, dhcp on

Anti Buffer bloat- when high priority detected. 70/70

(not sure why I cannot find the tab that has preemptive ect...) I know I set that to whatever Jack recommended.

14 hours ago, wolfeman said:

My other settings are as follows.

LAN:

ipv6 off

DHCP on

UpnP off

WAN:

ipv6 off, dhcp on

Anti Buffer bloat- when high priority detected. 70/70

(not sure why I cannot find the tab that has preemptive ect...) I know I set that to whatever Jack recommended.

Pretty sure that the tab with preemptive etc was in the old version of the operating system. Are you using the latest version? If so, that's why you can't find the tab.

Okay well we can rule out the problem being that you're on an old version then.

Regarding that previous post, why is UPnP off? Seems like it should be on to me.

21 hours ago, wolfeman said:

Do you mean you've got your R1 in the ISP router's DMZ? Because that's the way round it has to be.

In case this isn't how you've got it set up:

• Go to System Information in DumaOS, write down the WAN IP
  • Go to your ISP router, put the WAN IP you wrote down before into the DMZ

Just checking that's what you did.

I can turn upnp on again and see what happens. 

I have tried so many things that I cannot remember why I do stuff. haha

Yes I have the Duma WAN IP in the isp router DMZ.

I gotta run out for a bit, when I get a chance I will go into my ISP router and give you my current settings there.

Thank you for your time so far.

21 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

No problem. I hope we can get it sorted out. I'll be leaving the office in a few minutes but i'll be back tomorrow and I reckon @Netduma Fraser will be on tonight so maybe he'll have some ideas.

Alright, here are my ISP settings. I will just go down the tabs in order in the advanced settings.

DHCP: Enabled

IPv6 Lan: Disabled

DHCP Reservation: Enabled and auto dhcp enabled

WAN settings: ISP protocol (auto select) Selected-DHCP

DNS host mapping: My isp router is there centurylink technicolor c2000T

Dynamic DNS: Disabled

Dynamic routing: Disabled

Static Routing: IPv4 selected, nothing inputed

No ports forwarded

DMZ: Enabled with DUMA WAN

IPv4 Firewall: disabled

IPv6 Firewall: Enabled, block traffic in, allow traffic out

NAT: Enabled

UPNP: Enabled; UPnP NAT-T state Enabled. There is a device in the NAT-T list.

I also have the wireless function off to allow devices to be used by the DUMA.

So does the modem not have a bridge mode? I'm wondering if this has something to do with double-NAT but I doubt that would mess up your speeds this badly.

Maybe we're already past this point but just check you've followed the steps in this guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maxmimum-bandwidth-speeds

I'm also beginning to wonder if the age of your device might be involved here. You say you've had duma for years so maybe it's just failing hardware. If that's the case we'll have to see what can be done...

I mean that speed decrease is pretty crazy.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:50 PM, Netduma Alex said:

So does the modem not have a bridge mode? I'm wondering if this has something to do with double-NAT but I doubt that would mess up your speeds this badly.

Maybe we're already past this point but just check you've followed the steps in this guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000076586-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-maxmimum-bandwidth-speeds

I'm also beginning to wonder if the age of your device might be involved here. You say you've had duma for years so maybe it's just failing hardware. If that's the case we'll have to see what can be done...

I mean that speed decrease is pretty crazy.

Yes under WAN settings where I have autodetect selected and it is defaulting to DHCP there is a drop down bar and some options are either just Transparent bridging(TB)- or TB 0/32, TB 8/35 or TB 0/35. 

I did some googling in the past as to which bridge mode to try and boy did that open up a can of worms. I believe I crashed my whole internet after switching to the bridge modes and made a post on this forum about it. I cant really remember how I fixed it or even what caused my issues. I am not very savvy when it comes to internet technical things.

I have definitely followed the optimal settings guide more than once.

As for the age of my Duma, I don't think it's that old. I could always provide a serial number but I don't think its more that 3 years old. Could be though.... lol

• Administrators

Did you enable UPnP? I wouldn't be surprised if this was partially to blame for the issue, without UPnP or port forwarding the router doesn't know exactly where to send traffic, which in turn could effect the speedtest.