Hybrid VPN + XR500

Very slow bit rate using the VPN hybrid on the XR500 ... I use NordVPN via OpenVPN  for example :

No VPN

3193476308053103-IxIgtXg2.png

Hybrid VPN on XR500

3193477366536632-uUFiQWf2.png

VPN directly on my PC via the NordVPN application with the same server !

3193478139881013-93pxfjut.png

is there a problem with openVPN ?

• Administrators

This is expected behaviour when running the VPN through the router. To help with this I would suggest you select the closest server to your actual location (if possible) as well as utilising the Hybrid aspect of the VPN and just applying it to the specific services/applications needed thereby allowing the rest of the device to use your normal connection at regular speeds.

Okay ! But I was scared when using the service it does not work for real protection! In the meantime I'm ironed on my old firmware with the DHCP60 V.32 option that does not have the VPN hybrid ... pending an update or V.40 version with DHCP60 option! Regarding the consoles put with the VPN hybrid why do not we have the opportunity to simply use the services?

• Administrators

Yes it should protect you just fine, would suggest inputting the VPN DNS into the network settings as well to be safe.

Understood, we have contacted Netgear to try and get a firmware version for that. It's to do with how the consoles handle traffic, encrypted traffic would be the easiest way I could explain it but it's not encrypted per se.

I think you'll need to disable the VPN to log into the interface.

It may be possible to add some kind of exception into your VPN software but that would vary from software to software.

The problem is that the VPN sends your traffic outside of your local network, and so trying to connect to a local IP from outside of your network isn't going to work.

I Know !

I tried with remote management but I do not have the ping-ping auto application that allows me to know my ping and geolocation of the server !

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 10:14 AM, Fuzy said:

Very slow bit rate using the VPN hybrid on the XR500 ... I use NordVPN via OpenVPN  for example :

No VPN

3193476308053103-IxIgtXg2.png

Hybrid VPN on XR500

3193477366536632-uUFiQWf2.png

VPN directly on my PC via the NordVPN application with the same server !

3193478139881013-93pxfjut.png

is there a problem with openVPN ?

On 6/1/2019 at 7:15 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

This is expected behaviour when running the VPN through the router. To help with this I would suggest you select the closest server to your actual location (if possible) as well as utilising the Hybrid aspect of the VPN and just applying it to the specific services/applications needed thereby allowing the rest of the device to use your normal connection at regular speeds.

Ive only just set this up (VPN), and am already bothered. My internet speed is 1000Mbps down/40up. When I run xbone thru the xr500 I get, about 300Mbps, which of course is way more that anyone needs, yet when I turn on the Hybrid VPN (express) I get 26Mbps.
Thats 26. Seriously. 26. Im going to keep toying with it of course but at first glance this seems a little ridiculous.

• Administrators

I don't think you'll be able to get much more unfortunately but some things I could suggest are:

• Connect to the VPN using UDP instead of TCP
  • Select the closest possible server to your actual location
  • Disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat options

• Administrators

I don't think it's OpenVPN specifically but that will be part of it, I believe it's mostly down to restrictions on the router. Have you tried the above suggestions to see if speed can be boosted?