R1 as a second router

• Administrators

So the setup would be modem > dlink > R1? I’d recommend doing modem > R1 > dlink if possible in AP mode as I assume you want it for the WiFi. That’d let the R1 control all your devices and QoS would still function correctly. Either way an Ethernet cable from the router port 1 into LAN port of the router upstream

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So the setup would be modem > dlink > R1? I’d recommend doing modem > R1 > dlink if possible in AP mode as I assume you want it for the WiFi. That’d let the R1 control all your devices and QoS would still function correctly. Either way an Ethernet cable from the router port 1 into LAN port of the router upstream

Yes, that's how I would like to set it Dlink to R1 Only wants to use the Host filtering for now.  So it would be Dlink's LAN port to R1 WAN Port correct?

6 hours ago, SM961 said:

Yes, that's how I would like to set it Dlink to R1 Only wants to use the Host filtering for now.  So it would be Dlink's LAN port to R1 WAN Port correct?

yes, that is correct!

• Administrators
11 hours ago, SM961 said:

That's fair enough, just keep in mind that you'll be subject to local congestion with that setup. Yes exactly!

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's fair enough, just keep in mind that you'll be subject to local congestion with that setup. Yes exactly!

Question? Every morning I turn off my routers I had put the R1 in the Dlink's  DMZ but When I plugged everything back in the morning the R1 has a different WAN IP. how can I stop the R1 from getting a new WAN IP whenever I plug everything each morning? Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Firstly there's no need to unplug everything at the end of the day, routers are designed to consume little power. However, you can prevent this by setting a static IP on the Dlink for the R1, then put that IP in the DMZ. 

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Firstly there's no need to unplug everything at the end of the day, routers are designed to consume little power. However, you can prevent this by setting a static IP on the Dlink for the R1, then put that IP in the DMZ. 

Do I set the static IP from here right?

Screenshot - 2019-05-05T102347.679.png

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No I would recommend to do so on the Dlink, give the R1 a static LAN IP address and then put that IP in the Dlink DMZ.

Okay, got ya! 

How do I set a static IP on the R1?

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No I would recommend to do so on the Dlink, give the R1 a static LAN IP address and then put that IP in the Dlink DMZ.

How do I set a static IP on the R1?

• Administrators

You need to do this on the Dlink, it depends on their interface, look at the WAN IP first on the R1 device manager then go to the LAN settings on Dlink and reserve/set the same IP as static and make sure it's in the DMZ.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You need to do this on the Dlink, it depends on their interface, look at the WAN IP first on the R1 device manager then go to the LAN settings on Dlink and reserve/set the same IP as static and make sure it's in the DMZ.

Okay, So this should stop the R1 itself from getting new IP address every time I reboot, correct?

9 minutes ago, SM961 said:

Okay, So this should stop the R1 itself from getting new IP address every time I reboot, correct?

yes. The R1 get's it's ip address from the dlink dhcp table, that is why Fraser says that you need to give the R1 a static ip address for the R1 on the dlink. 

• 11 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 12:55 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Exactly as above!

Should I keep the DHCP enable or disable  on the R1?

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, SM961 said:

Should I keep the DHCP enable or disable  on the R1?

Definitely keep it enabled otherwise you will have to set static IPs for every device and for any new device you want to connect before they could get internet.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Definitely keep it enabled otherwise you will have to set static IPs for every device and for any new device you want to connect before they could get internet.

I can't access the router because I disabled the DHCP how do I reset the R1? is the pic below correct?

Screenshot - 2020-05-02T141436.480.png

• Administrators

You will need to set a static IP on the PC you're using to try and access the interface. https://kb.netgear.com/27476/How-do-I-set-a-static-IP-address-in-Windows

IP address: 192.168.88.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.88.1

Leave DNS as it is, that should then allow you to access the interface.

• Zennon changed the title to R1 as a second router