Understanding Congestion Control

AsNCo

Hi. I've been meaning to ask this question for a long time.

Basically, how does the Congestion Control work?
There are Anti-Flood and Device Prioritisation.

So my question now is this.

1) If I set my Bandwidth to 100 Mbps up and down,
and I then set the Anti Flood to 50%, does it mean that all devices will be allocated 50Mbps of maximum up and down speeds as a whole am I correct?

2) Does the Device Prioritisation further divide the speeds?
For example, if the above question is true, then pretend I have 5 devices connected (each with 20) and Share Excess is turned off, will it mean that the current speed of 50Mbps up and down will be further divided by 5 giving each device a maximum up and down of 10 Mbps?

the sliders dont represent 100 mbps they help control how much of your internet can be used while gaming 

if you have 50 down and like 50 up just for example and you move the sliders to just say 70% that means everybody is limited to 70% of your internet

the deivce control at the bottom is for upload only you can control which device gets a certain percentage of the upload of your connection

if you untick share excess means that one device you select to have most of the upload is gonna have it and no other device will be able to use the rest of the upload 

hope i made sense with answering some of your questions 

Here is answer straight  for NETDUMA wiki

1.Anti-flood is a feature of the router that restricts the total amount of bandwidth that devices in your home can use. Counter-intuitively this will reduce your ping and consequently lag because it stops packet queues growing locally.

If you don't throttle using anti-flood other devices can saturate your local connection causing large queues. The time spent in those queues increases your ping significantly and manifests itself as lag.

So in the scenario you have describe you are allowing devices in your network to use the 50 Mb bandwidth of you total bandwidth keeping the left 50 free of any traffic available for you gaming. Sort of like having one lane on a highway just for you all the time.

2. Here is answer straight  for NETDUMA wiki

Device prioritisation is a feature on the router that allows you to allocate a certain percentage of your upload bandwidth to specified devices in your house. As upload bandwidth is usually only about a quarter of your download, but is usually needed just as much. Device prioritisation is important as you can prioritise devices that need bandwidth the most for example your streaming PC and game consoles.

So following that example if you keep Share Excess un tick then device priotization will share your 50 mb upload between the devices. The amount of upload each of those devices will get its set by those numbers in circles witch represent percentages.

Best answers up there indeed.
I read through the wiki on the router but I still didn't get it but your example here made it very clear. Thank you very much.

Archived