You guys might be interested in the new beast on the market!

purpleandgold33

Just now, purpleandgold33 said:

It basically is for the Ps4! 

yeah but i dont like those weir side buttons. Better off just getting a scuf probably. I mean I had the elite controller when they dropped that, and it was great but that was xbox only. They make a scuf thats shaped like the xbox controller for ps4 as well. Thats onr of my biggest gripes of the playstation controllers is that their design is weird feeling, but all personal preference. I think youll find that most peopel would agree, but they like the PS consoles enough to overlook those things

Almost got this.  Only reason i didn't was that i'm playing more single player and mmo's at the moment than shooters.  Plus this close to the next gen systems, i'd like to know if it will be compatible to the ps5 when that comes out.  Alot of money right now if you're buying a new system in possibly 2 years.  

But, it does look like a great controller and still may...   the big selling point for me is the replaceable nodes.  The only part of a controller that has ever broken for me is the left thumbstick nodes where you can't run or it hesitates.  And sadly no one has ever fixed one properly either when sent off.  Terrible experience with Battle Beaver on that issue.  Wasn't even considering another high end controller for that reason.  But, with this controller if you're node goes out... they sell replacements.  At least for me that is a pretty huge selling point.  Pop your node out, pop the new one in. 

I do have a question for you that i was concerned about as well.  I know they have the software but do you know if it's compatible with a MAC computer?  

11 minutes ago, bbursley said:

yeah but i dont like those weir side buttons. Better off just getting a scuf probably. I mean I had the elite controller when they dropped that, and it was great but that was xbox only. They make a scuf thats shaped like the xbox controller for ps4 as well. Thats onr of my biggest gripes of the playstation controllers is that their design is weird feeling, but all personal preference. I think youll find that most peopel would agree, but they like the PS consoles enough to overlook those things

There are no side buttons on this. This controller is basically the swagg scuf except its made by astro. It's a nice controller so far. Definitly different from the ps controller. I want to send it in to battle beaver for tighter sticks. I think they will add the tighter springs for the sticks. Every stock controller has loose sticks which makes it harder to aim. Less range of motion.

I meant the buttons youd use like a scuf. I dont like how those are placed lol. to close to the handle. The elite had ones sit more into the middle, but with a slight curve to them so that they were comfortable to access but also not in the way.

image.png.d0e75f2bfc2be5ae72b51d3fcc87965b.png

3 minutes ago, Urge said:

Almost got this.  Only reason i didn't was that i'm playing more single player and mmo's at the moment than shooters.  Plus this close to the next gen systems, i'd like to know if it will be compatible to the ps5 when that comes out.  Alot of money right now if you're buying a new system in possibly 2 years.  

But, it does look like a great controller and still may...   the big selling point for me is the replaceable nodes.  The only part of a controller that has ever broken for me is the left thumbstick nodes where you can't run or it hesitates.  And sadly no one has ever fixed one properly either when sent off.  Terrible experience with Battle Beaver on that issue.  Wasn't even considering another high end controller for that reason.  But, with this controller if you're node goes out... they sell replacements.  At least for me that is a pretty huge selling point.  Pop your node out, pop the new one in. 

I do have a question for you that i was concerned about as well.  I know they have the software but do you know if it's compatible with a MAC computer?  

Whats up Urge yes the modules you can move around and make it an xbox controller. Yes, this software is compatible with mac here's the link https://www.astrogaming.com/customer-service/firmware-and-software/software.html The controller comes with a 6month warranty. Which I stated in the vid. Also, logictech is pretty reliable in my opinion based on their engineering and the Asto A40's. the BEST headset on the market. I wanted a Swagg scuf but their were too many negative complaints from various different youtubers on scufs being shit and how the paddles on the back break to easy. Plus I son't think the paddles are in the right location like this controller.

7 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Whats up Urge yes the modules you can move around and make it an xbox controller. Yes, this software is compatible with mac here's the link https://www.astrogaming.com/customer-service/firmware-and-software/software.html The controller comes with a 6month warranty. Which I stated in the vid. Also, logictech is pretty reliable in my opinion based on their engineering and the Asto A40's. the BEST headset on the market. I wanted a Swagg scuf but their were too many negative complaints from various different youtubers on scufs being shit and how the paddles on the back break to easy. Plus I son't think the paddles are in the right location like this controller.

Got the Scuff Vantage and that was a nightmare.  Got my money back within a week. 

Believe Astro is great as well.    Have the A50's and it's the best headset i've ever owned.  Quality work!  I read somewhere that Astro was originally going to make controllers before they went the headset direction.  These controllers are a lot of money.  If any one is gonna put quality into it, it's definitely them.

And thanks for the mac response.  When i get back into shooters more often that will def make it worth a heavy consideration.

2 minutes ago, Urge said:

Got the Scuff Vantage and that was a nightmare.  Got my money back within a week.  Astro is great as well.    Have the A50's and it's the best headset i've ever owned.  Quality work!  I read somewhere that Astro was originally going to make controllers before they went the headset direction.  These controllers are alot of money.  If any one is gonna put quality into it, it's definitely them.

And thanks for the mac response.  When i get back into shooters more often that will def make it worth a heavy consideration.

Yep agreed $200 is a lot of cake! Which is why I've never bought a pro style controller until now. A really good cheap alternative is the strikepack dominator. If you use it in tournament mode you are not cheating. It has the paddles on the side. I did a review on that too. 

3 minutes ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Yep agreed $200 is a lot of cake! Which is why I've never bought a pro style controller until now. A really good cheap alternative is the strikepack dominator. If you use it in tournament mode you are not cheating. It has the paddles on the side. I did a review on that too. 

I"ve actually thought about that just for the jump paddles.  I just wish they didn't have a mod pack on it.  Decided against it just cause i didn't want to give money to support a company that puts a pure cheat device out.  I know some use it with just tournament mode which is fine... but there are a lot of damn cheaters out there who can get this cheap for the mods.  If it wasn't for that this would have been a great buy to stay on budget.

4 minutes ago, Urge said:

I"ve actually thought about that just for the jump paddles.  I just wish they didn't have a mod pack on it.  Decided against it just cause i didn't want to give money to support a company that puts a pure cheat device out.  I know some use it with just tournament mode which is fine... but there are a lot of damn cheaters out there who can get this cheap for the mods.  If it wasn't for that this would have been a great buy to stay on budget.

Just use it in tourney mode. That's what i did. I hate cheaters. But they are always going to be there no matter what. the thing works great. $40 is a no brainer for a budget!

2 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Just use it in tourney mode. That's what i did. I hate cheaters. But they are always going to be there no matter what. the thing works great. $40 is a no brainer for a budget!

Astro all the way if i get another controller...  when you get some time in with the new beast please keep us updated.  I'd love to know your thoughts after playtime.

3 hours ago, Urge said:

Astro all the way if i get another controller...  when you get some time in with the new beast please keep us updated.  I'd love to know your thoughts after playtime.

Oh I got a good 20 hrs on it already! So far so good. The gripes I have about it are on the vid. More pro then con for sure!

Picked the Astro C40 up a few days ago, and it's amazing.  It was fun stomping rooms with a standard controller but smacking a few more people every lobby with this baby is pretty nice. :D No complaints what so ever. 

• 2 months later...

Interested in how the Astro hold up over time.

I have a Scuf Impact controller and it's made up of just Sony parts. So just like the standard controllers the left stick gets thrashed. Usually you can fix it by spraying some contact spray in them and they get going again. (it happens because it doesn't register forward properly) I have a number of home built controllers with remap boards, paddles and scuf style sticks. Servicing them means opening them up all the way and it wears parts like flatcables etc after a few times. Scuf sticks wear out in 3 months and since you need to spray the analogs often anyway I thought I was clever by getting a Scuf with removable sticks. Same thing happened, but some contact spray acidentally got into the L3 botton putting it to always on and had to replace the stick. First nightmare was getting the security screw out. Then I just put in the mainboard of a regular DS4 and now I am using it again. I live in Asia and returning a Scuf controller is also a pain.

So Scuf is definitly not worth 200 bucks though. I can play just as well on my home built controllers and the extra 2 paddles don't do much most of the time.

Friends of mine have Nacon and Razer controllers and they are also reporting a lot of issues with those, inconsistency etc.

IMHO either the Strikepack or making your own are the best options. For the latter you need to be a bit handy but YT is full of guides and you only need very basic tools for premade sets. My latest is a regular DS4 with a textured backplate, paddles, remap board for the paddles and a set of Xbox Elite thumbsticks. Could even add triggerstops, simply 2 holes in the triggers and add screws. Same functionality as a pro controller and half the price :)