Connecting directly to r1

dav581005

Hi all I am from the UK and my current service provider is plusnet is there any way to connect to the internet directly through my r1 as in not having the isp router at all I have all my log in information and am allowed to use any router I want if there is no way to do this with the r1 can any one recommend a cheap but good router to replace my isp router which is I believe a rebadged hub 5 from bt 

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, Macusa69 said:

Hello Frayser,

Any advantages by using this method ? connecting directly to the R1 through pppoe?

It's not so much an advantage, more a requirement for certain connection types. If you have Internet access but you haven't got PPPoE enabled, you don't need it.

I was thinking more that it's less routers in the mix especially since my isp router doesn't have a bridge mode so my r1 is in the dmz but my internet connection is only ever going to be as good as my worse component so even if I have a perfect connection through my r1 it is still got to go through the isp router which may negatively effect the connection 

• Administrators

Keep in mind that with PPPoE enabled on the R1 that the overall bandwidth speed is limited. So if you have higher speeds than ~120mbps then I would recommend keeping your existing setup and you'll still have a good connection like that. ISP router is just routing everything straight to the router (assuming its' WiFi, UPnP/port forwarding is disabled).