Nintendo switch not detected in geofilter on the netgear nighthawk XR500

hi i have a quick question does anyone know why my Netgear XR500 is not detecting my Nintendo switch in the Geoblock settings even though it is detected as a Nintendo switch? I have also tried setting it as a Nintendo WII with the same results. I have also tried factory reset with the same results.

try setting it as a console, that corrects the issue with a pc so I assume it will work in your case......This is under review and should be sorted soon in a fiuture firmware update!

I Have tried setting it as an xbox/ps4  and also tried changing it to WII as others have suggested with the same Result  it works fine with an actual xbox so i assume it must be a problem with duma os not detecting switch traffic which is strange.

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, mark11111112 said:

I Have tried setting it as an xbox/ps4  and also tried changing it to WII as others have suggested with the same Result  it works fine with an actual xbox so i assume it must be a problem with duma os not detecting switch traffic which is strange.

Hmm, seems strange. We do allow you to manually add items to Traffic Prioritisation since it's not perfect - maybe try clicking 'add device' and adding all the Switch ports to it and see if it works when you're gaming.

the problem with that is Nintendo switch different games use different ports and Nintendo suggest opening ports 1 - 65535 (https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22272/~/how-to-set-up-a-routers-port-forwarding-for-a-nintendo-switch-console) which is a huge security risk. I tried adding ports 1 - 65535 to the QoS but no dice. I have even tried different games tetris 99, poken tournament DX,  splatoon 2, and nothing comes up.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Please try this: 

1. Hard turn off the switch (hold down the power button and you'll have the option to shutdown)
  2. Remove device from the Geo-Filter
  3. Set device to PS4 or Xbox in the Device Manager
  4. Flush the cloud in the Geo-Filter Map options
  5. Wait 2 minutes
  6. Re-add device to Geo-Filter
  7. Turn on the Switch and search for a game - keep in mind it will only show icons on the map when you're searching for a game

• Administrators

Interesting, with the Geo-Filter enabled for the game does it still allow you to get matches? May be a silly question but I always thought tetris was a single player game, do they have a matchmaking system?