Slow Speeds on Gigabit Internet

Hi. I have a netgear CM1000 Docsys 3.1 cable modem. When my desktop PC is connected directly to my cable modem, I get speeds of 950+ Mbps download, 40Mbps upload. When I connect my CM1000 to my Netduma R1, and then my PC to the Netduma R1, my speeds are only 153Mbps down and 40Mbps up. I am using Cat5e cables. I was originally using 1.3.6 firmware on the netduma and was experiencing these issues even with super turbo mode enabled, so I tried to upgrade to DumaOS to see if that might help. I upgraded successfully to DumaOS and disabled QoS per the instructions. I am getting the exact same speeds as before, ~130Mbps down and 40Mbps up. I have also disabled IPv6 on the WAN and LAN tabs. I do not know what to do at this point to increase my speeds. My cable modem's settings are limited. My ISP is Comcast Xfinity. Please let me know what I should do. 

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! The Netduma R1 speeds are limited; you won't be able to reach such high speeds through it, but you should be able to get around 300mbps or higher. If you have a laptop or another PC, try a wired speedtest on that just to make sure it's nothing to do with the network card inside your device limiting the throughput.You could also try a higher-tier Ethernet cable like a CAT-6 though I doubt that's the solution.

If you factory reset the router, then input your speeds in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu and allow the router to auto setup (before disabling QoS) what speeds do you receive then?

Speeds are identical with QoS enabled after a factory reset and inputting my speeds into the anti-bufferbloat menu. No improvement. I previously used my Netduma R1 on a google fiber connection in a different city (I just moved) and was getting 400-600Mbps down, so that certainly doesnt explain why I am getting ~140Mbps down in a new city. The only difference between my setup in the old city and the new is the use of the CM1000 Docsys 3.1 cable modem, and the ISP (comcast vs webpass/google fiber). I also ran a speedtest on a laptop using a wired connection and got the same results. 

• Netduma Staff
20 hours ago, absolutetruth said:

Speeds are identical with QoS enabled after a factory reset and inputting my speeds into the anti-bufferbloat menu. No improvement. I previously used my Netduma R1 on a google fiber connection in a different city (I just moved) and was getting 400-600Mbps down, so that certainly doesnt explain why I am getting ~140Mbps down in a new city. The only difference between my setup in the old city and the new is the use of the CM1000 Docsys 3.1 cable modem, and the ISP (comcast vs webpass/google fiber). I also ran a speedtest on a laptop using a wired connection and got the same results. 

I have a feeling it could be due to the AQM (active queue management) built into these Docsis 3.1 modems. Do you have another modem or router lying around you could check this with?

I've raised this up to our development team so we can properly investigate how our QoS is interacting with Docsis 3.1 QoS.

Comcast requires a docsis 3.1 modem in order to use their gigabit internet service, which I have. I would be unable to use any non-docsis 3.1 modem on their service, nor do I have one lying around. How could the AQM be conflicting with the QoS on the netduma R1 even when I have the QoS on the netduma R1 disabled?

• Administrators

I think what Jack means is that the AQM could be restricting the amount of bandwidth getting to the router.

How long have you had this new modem?

Do you have a PPPoE connection now compared to when you had Google Fiber?

Comcast doesnt use PPPoE. I do not know what type of connection I had with Google Fiber. The CM1000 was purchased when I moved to a new city one week ago for use with the gigabit comcast internet. I have used no other modem with the comcast gigabit.

• Administrators

Sometimes an ISP takes a bit of time to negotiate the connection properly with a router, as it's so new this could be the case. With QoS completely disabled you still see the issue which indicates a problem upstream. I'd give it a few more days, see if it settles, if not call the ISP and see if there's anything they can do on their end.

I contacted comcast. As far as they are concerned, there is no issue as I am getting the speeds I pay for when connected directly to the modem. They say its a router issue and there is nothing they can do. It has been one week since installation and the problem has not improved.

• Administrators

That sounds like a standard response. If it is the cause it could resolve itself soon. I'm concerned by the AQM, I'm thinking that could be a cause. Do you have a spare router you could use to put in between the modem and R1? Then just the speed direct to the spare router then through the R1.

• 10 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:09 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Hi, welcome to the forum! The Netduma R1 speeds are limited; you won't be able to reach such high speeds through it, but you should be able to get around 300mbps or higher. If you have a laptop or another PC, try a wired speedtest on that just to make sure it's nothing to do with the network card inside your device limiting the throughput.You could also try a higher-tier Ethernet cable like a CAT-6 though I doubt that's the solution.

If you factory reset the router, then input your speeds in the Anti-Bufferbloat menu and allow the router to auto setup (before disabling QoS) what speeds do you receive then?

Ahh that matches what I'm seeing. I can't get much past 300mbps compared to the 900/900 (approximate) I can get when direct connected to the line from the fiber terminal.

From my home testing with R1. I max out at about 420 Mbit with turbo mode on and QoS on. 

When I enable super turbo mode and disable QoS I am able to reach connection max, 580mbit. But I have read somewhere that even with that it will max at 700ish mbit.

Realisticly speaking though it you have a 1Gbit connection I would just get another router that works ok with gigabit speeds. R1 is outdated and for example the wifi throughput is too slow to be used with a 1Gbit fiber line. What you can use your R1 for is use it as a standalone geofilter for a PS4 etc. What you do is connect your new router to the modem. Connect the R1 to your new router and set it in DMZ to avoid double NAT. Then configure the R1 in super turbo mode, set bandwidths to 1000/1000 100%. Connect your console to that. Leave wifi active so you can alter the geofilter by your phone or use a loopback cable from your new router to the R1 so you can reach it that way.

11 hours ago, Bert said:

From my home testing with R1. I max out at about 420 Mbit with turbo mode on and QoS on. 

When I enable super turbo mode and disable QoS I am able to reach connection max, 580mbit. But I have read somewhere that even with that it will max at 700ish mbit.

Realisticly speaking though it you have a 1Gbit connection I would just get another router that works ok with gigabit speeds. R1 is outdated and for example the wifi throughput is too slow to be used with a 1Gbit fiber line. What you can use your R1 for is use it as a standalone geofilter for a PS4 etc. What you do is connect your new router to the modem. Connect the R1 to your new router and set it in DMZ to avoid double NAT. Then configure the R1 in super turbo mode, set bandwidths to 1000/1000 100%. Connect your console to that. Leave wifi active so you can alter the geofilter by your phone or use a loopback cable from your new router to the R1 so you can reach it that way.

Yep. I just got the R1 last week and ran it with wifi disabled and my Orbi mesh setup as AP only. At that time I had 200/200. I took advantage of a promotion to upgrade to 1G/1G and with the default out of the box DumaOS setting maxed out at 300. 

I've reverted back to my Orbi setup as the router and AP. My main attraction of the R1 was the prospect of apps and modularity. 

I'll take a look at the Netgear offerings.