DNS override + pi hole.

Just the otherday i got myself a Raspberry pi 3 and i have set up pi hole on it to block ads for any devices on my network. I have it all set up and if i set any device manually to use the Pi Hole dns ip's it works great no problems.

The problem comes when setting Dns Override in network settings to the 2 internal ip's that Pi Hole uses as dns, so that any device connecting to my R1 via ethernet or wifi has ads blocked automatically. When DNS override is set to these internal ip's it defaults to my ISP dns on numerous tests, if i set Dns override to google dns or any other dns ip's they work great so now i'm assuming it's dumaos not allowing internal ip's to be used in DNS override, is this right?

thanks.

• Administrators

Possibly, I'm not certain though as it's not something we have tried before. It's a pain, but you could try downgrading back to the previous firmware and setting DNS override there. Then upgrade back to DumaOS again? Does it then work?

Keep in mind that going back to the old version will clear most of your DumaOS settings e.g. Geo-Filter and QoS.

http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000085792-downgrading-back-to-the-original-r1-firmware-from-dumaos

• Netduma Staff
On 3/10/2019 at 10:42 AM, Ziltoid Racer said:

i will try this once i can get to the R1, cannot access it at mo as we are having work done on house...

Ah okay, keep us updated :)