XR700: Can't ping/resolve/anything from LAN <--> WLAN

Hello guys: I've got a fairly stable XR700 running here: no ISP dropping issues through the various firmwares, and pretty stable other than a single lockup and few quirks (auto update firmware/plex doesn't work).

However, I just noticed that my laptop on WLAN-5G can't reach my desktop on LAN and vice-versa.  I've searched for wireless isolation settings that I may have inadvertently set, but haven't found any.  While troubleshooting this, I've gone ahead and completely disabled my guest SSID, so that's not it either.  Both can provide, advertise, and receive external services (Netflix, Windows Admin Center, RDP, Powershell Remoting, whatever), but can't seem to use services between each other on the internal network without transiting to an external IP.  The router has DHCP enabled for these and most other devices.  They cannot resolve using DHCP normally, resolve via manual NSlookup, or ping each other.  The only other device between them is a dumb switch.

I've been sequentially going through every menu hunting for something I could have missed, and I brainstormed unsuccessfully over the weekend.  Does anyone have any ideas?

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum!

That's odd - If they're both on LAN or both on 5GHz, can they ping each other? In other words, is the issue definitely caused by the fact they're on different connection types to the router?

Alright, so more information:

• Internal IPv4 + IPv6 addresses are leased by devices supporting dual mode
  • On IPv4, a device can't ping itself (Win10v1803) although IPv6 can ping itself
  • IPv4 can't ping even when on same wifi (can't test wired here, but expect that to work based on other device behavior)
  • IPv6 ping works fine, even across the bridge to WiFi
  • Chrome 72.0.3626.109 reports it's blocked from accessing the router via IPv4 address.  "Your internet access is blocked"

Now this last bit got me thinking, along with the IPv4 general failures.  Perhaps I've mis-configured something previously and left it as-is on the laptop?  But I've been doing research on that laptop - aside from local/self/router behavior it works just fine.

It must be the laptop.  I can ping my mobile phone from LAN and vice-versa.  Can't ping the laptop from the phone.  More digging ahead, or maybe time for a wipe :(

Update: full uninstall + reinstall of NIC plus a full network reset from command line didn't change behavior.

53 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are devices receiving an IPv4 & IPv6 address each? I'd be concerned that they were getting both and then being confused about what to use. Is your laptop connected via ethernet and wifi at the same time?

They're all receiving both addresses and the laptop is very likely confused about which to use.  I also need to double-check that the laptop correctly categorized the network as private.  The laptop is only on WiFi, as is the mobile, of course.

Even after the network reset and driver reinstall, the laptop still can't ping it's own IP - although loopback is ok, curiously.  The laptop continues to get a general failure when pinging the desktop, whereas the desktop gets a ping timeout when attempting to ping the other direction.  It also continues to offer the access blocked message when attempting to reach the router page from the laptop.  As a result I'm even more convinced it's a laptop issue, but would love to continue to get ideas....

On 2/26/2019 at 1:57 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

If you disable IPv6 in the router settings does that resolve the issue at all?

Is that option explicit or buried, maybe a misleading label?  I can't find it at the moment.

22 hours ago, PharmDawgg said:

Go to settings> Administration> IPv6. It should allow you to disable it there. 

There is no IPv6 under Administration, only under advanced settings.  Under Advanced, it does not have an explicit option to disable.  These are the two places I was checking before, unfortunately.  My firmware is version 1.0.1.8.

XR700 V1.0.1.8

administration.JPG

ipv6.JPG

• Administrators

Hmm, never knew this was laid out differently to on the Xr700! Learn something knew every day eh?

If you click auto-config, is there an option to disable it? 

It looks like it’s currently enabled and this may be the cause of the problem. 

On 3/5/2019 at 3:12 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That shouldn't be the case if you disabled it fully as that IPv6 page covers external/internal. Do you have IPv6 manually setup on your PC ethernet/wifi adapter?

No, all static assignations are from the router and are in IPv4.  I've run into occasional issues doing otherwise, so I avoid it.  As per the picture, that page at least in verbiage appears to focus on external IPv6, but I'm still getting those link-local IPv6 addresses.

Right now I'm trying to look into whether this is a self-assigned address or if this is a router-assigned address.

I quite strongly prefer the toggle for IPv6 internal and external (ISP IPv6 address/DNS etc) functionality be discrete.

• Administrators

It has LAN Setup for IPv6 on that page so it should be disabling both. I think at this stage I'd recommend you contact Netgear directly through a ticket or phone call: http://support.netgear.com/ there are not many options you can disable on DumaOS itself that could possibly cause the issue and we've exhausted those. Netgear handles the settings so they should be better able to answer your query. Sorry we weren't able to help!

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It has LAN Setup for IPv6 on that page so it should be disabling both. I think at this stage I'd recommend you contact Netgear directly through a ticket or phone call: http://support.netgear.com/ there are not many options you can disable on DumaOS itself that could possibly cause the issue and we've exhausted those. Netgear handles the settings so they should be better able to answer your query. Sorry we weren't able to help!

I'm considering waiting for the latest update - I think I heard one is around the corner...?