Congestion Control is increasing my ping on speedtest net

zombitroid

Ok, first of all, I would like to say that I am really enjoying this product. My KD has been spiking and I am able to win many more gunfights compared to before. I am really wowed with this router!! :)

Just a minute ago I wanted to make sure everything was ok and working correctly by doing a speedtest, so I did a speedtest, and I was shocked that my ping hit 50 ms, usually it is 22 or so. (at this moment my congestion control has my download and upload capped at 95%)

I restarted my computer, that didnt help, I turned off my phone's wifi, and that didnt help either. So I capped my download and upload speeds using the congestion control at 100%.

Strangely, that instantly put my ping back down to 22 ms!! I was really surprised, and immediately noticed that all my websites were loading much faster. I am shocked that 5% makes such a huge difference. I am particularly surprised that the congestion control feature on my net duma router is directly influencing my ping on my computer. I thought this only affected my bandwidth speeds.

I know that after I am done gaming that I am supposed to set my congestion control speeds back to 100%, but its just kind of a pain to have to do that every time. Even though it takes just a few seconds, I am struggling to develop this habit.

This is not a question or a complaint, just a comment, something I noticed that I thought I would share with all of you wonderful helpful people!!

Thanks for reading, happy gaming :)

Helo there.

To be honest with you i dont take the ping form speed test in to consideration. They servers can give different resoults. On a different time if a day etc.

R1 have a grate feature to tell you exactly whAT your pings are. Internet diagnostics feature is runig a proper test on you line disabaleing all wifi connection s etc. So it is very acurate as its a pure line test. If those resaults will be bad i would worry. If they are not thats fine.

Another thing ist to observe you in game ping while you game on the geo filter panel. If its nice low and stable. Thene there is nothing to worry. Even 60ms stable connection to the host its a grate on.

Now on to download speed. Here is few things to check. Depending on what you speeds are i would follow one of this guides to optimes your router according to your internet speeds

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_netduma

Try using reactive and always test from the netduma or cmd prompt in windows 8.8.8.8 speedtest.net is not a reliable source for pings.

• Administrators

Hi Zomb,

The only way I can see congestion control making your ping rise is if you have throttled too much. What is your up/down speed set to on the router? 

Also please try Zennons suggestion :)

Archived