Info for Netduma Team.. XR500 Issues..

Hello Netduma!  I just wanted to pass some info along after my results of downgrading to the original firmware this router had when new out of the box. This would be the original firmware this had when new.. There is some good news from my results thus far.. To be fair ive only had this up and running for about 16hrs.. One major reason for downgrading was when I would do a basic reboot the reboot process would start but the router would never make a reconnection after.. In fact it was very difficult to even get the router to reestablish a connection at all.. Well with this original firmware this is no longer a problem.. It now makes a clean reboot as it should and reestablishes a connection after the reboot like it should.. Very good news there.. Also the Device Manager is showing things proper at this current time.. By this I mean Devices show when online and offline as they should.. And they also are showing the correct status of being wired or wireless.. Good new there! I also noticed in my log I no longer am getting a ARP table Error.. The only Error I am getting is the HTTP 404 Error.. But I will attach one log with the most current firmware and one log with the original firmware this router had new out of the box..  To be fair also one would likely not have to go all the way back to the original firmware but that is what I wanted to do just to see if these issues were present even then.. Again there maybe issues that pop up so I will monitor this and give feedback as things arise.. While currently I know you (Netduma) were saying some of these issues were cosmetic.. But I feel they did have a small impact on performance.. So I hope we can at least keep an open mind about that and not wright it off as just cosmetic until fully sure.. One last thing also I want to add which likely means nothing but I figured id share is that the CPU usage is extremely lower with the original firmware verses the newest firmware. Which could be because the original firmware doesn't have the features the newest does.. But the router seems to be much more responsive and doesn't seem to get sluggish when logged into it to make adjustments..  If you have any questions for me please feel free to ask.. There are things I do question yet but want to take this a step at a time so we can keep things straight and not to confuse one issue to another..

Thanks Netduma!!

Zippy.

Netduma Log1.pdf

Netduma Log Orig firmware..pdf

• Administrators

Great to hear you're having a good experience, just a thought on the original issue was DHCP disabled or static WAN used? Could explain issues with device manager also. CPU probably due to less features but if you get sluggish UI I'd generally recommend clearing cookies and cache, closing browser then opening each page of interface to allow it to cache again and then should be faster after that.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Great to hear you're having a good experience, just a thought on the original issue was DHCP disabled or static WAN used? Could explain issues with device manager also. CPU probably due to less features but if you get sluggish UI I'd generally recommend clearing cookies and cache, closing browser then opening each page of interface to allow it to cache again and then should be faster after that.

Hey Fraser I have a new question about my router.. On my router there is a sticker on the bottom of my router that says its MAC address. And that MAC address is also on the box my router came in.. Both match.. So is that the MAC address that my router uses? And if so is that the MAC address that is suppose to be the default address when logged into the router and looking at the internet setup page? So basically should it be shown also there under default? Sorry if im asking this in a confusing way..lol.  

Thanks!

Zippy.

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey Fraser I have a new question about my router.. On my router there is a sticker on the bottom of my router that says its MAC address. And that MAC address is also on the box my router came in.. Both match.. So is that the MAC address that my router uses? And if so is that the MAC address that is suppose to be the default address when logged into the router and looking at the internet setup page? So basically should it be shown also there under default? Sorry if im asking this in a confusing way..lol.  

Thanks!

Zippy.

The MAC address is the identifier for the hardware itself, I believe. So different types of devices have different MAC address codes. It's not really relevant to the software side of things; typing it into the URL bar won't do anything and I don't think you can find it on the UI.

6 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

The MAC address is the identifier for the hardware itself, I believe. So different types of devices have different MAC address codes. It's not really relevant to the software side of things; typing it into the URL bar won't do anything and I don't think you can find it on the UI.

Thanks Jack! :) I was just wondering if it would be the same as whats in the UI..

Zippy.

Hello Netduma, I just wanted to share something interesting with you all.. I currently went back to the most current firmware.. And was always baffled why my gaming was so poor with this router.. Over and over I tried several things. Some from you guys and some from reading around on the forum.. Well I discovered something that others have reported but I never checked for myself on my router..Until today.. And that is bandwidth.. No matter what I would do in my QoS my speeds were all way to low.. Even when I would set my initial speeds to what they should be they were again way to low even with my sliders set to 100% both up and down and share excess across all devices.. So I inflated my speeds way above what they should be.. 1000mbps both up and down.. Finally I got my download speed close to what it should be but still not perfect.. But yet my upload was still way to low.. Its still short by a good 8mbps..But was better then what it use to be.. All my tests are with QoS on..  Even with QoS off my speeds wouldn't recover to what they should be or what I would get testing directly at my modem. I double checked and triple checked everything.. Even with share excess bandwidth up and down nothing seemed to work.. Updating the flower for bandwidth allocation did nothing either.. So I did a test on my xbox for the heck of it.. I noticed my download was very close to what it should be and what my computer was getting..Both which are hardwired.. But my upload was still way too low.. Up to this point my bandwidth allocation was spread evenly over my 4 devices..with share excess across all devices..  Here is where it gets interesting.. So I figured since my upload speed was still to low(2mbps) I would just give my Xbox more bandwidth on the upload by allocating more bandwidth by increasing my speeds in the flower..  Well it had just the negative effect.. The more I increased my bandwidth the lower and lower my upload got for my xbox which made absolutely no sense.. During each time I updated the allocation.. So It dawned on me what is going on.. Even though my xbox is shown on the flower it no longer is that device even though it says Xbox.. Something happens and QoS stops tracking the displayed device.. So likely what is happening as I increase the xbox it likely is increasing another device behind the scenes.. To test this I did just the opposite.. Instead of increasing I went the other direction and decreased my bandwidth in the flower for my xbox .. sure enough my speeds started to go up on my xbox.. as I bring my bandwidth down it increases my other three devices on the flower..Finally after all this time something that makes sense with this router.. Since I got speeds back up to close to what I should be getting my gaming experience is night and day difference..  So at this point its likely one would have a better experience with this router if they do a hard reset and not turn the QoS on. At least until a new firmware is out in hope to sort this out.. Also when I do test directly to my modem my download speed is 232mbps and my upload speed is 23mbps.. Currently with this router im at 201 down and 11up.. Still way short of what I should be getting.. So likely even I will do another hard reset and not turn QoS on.. My only question is if I keep QoS off does packet prioritization function not work at all then? Or can we just enable Duma classified games?  Thanks!

Zippy..

• Netduma Staff

Hey Zippy - that sounds... Peculiar, to say the least. I'll get a developer to take a look and see if they can replicate what you're seeing. You could be onto something, but then again every network is different. Lets see what happens!