Wifi keeps dropping

Rosaria

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, Rosaria said:

ok i got to the settings, but i do not see anything that says AP mode? 

Righto, at least you're on the settings. Do you see a 'Bridge' mode anywhere? AP (Access Point) mode has a few different names.

• Administrators

Are any devices connected directly to the R1 at the moment? If so are they showing on the device manager? If not, are they connected to the other router? If so then the device manager is reporting correctly because it just has the one device connected. What is the router called and we can take a look at what settings it provides.

ok this is how i have it set up right now and only because when i had the R1 by itself it was kicking us off wifi no matter what device it was.

The R1 is plugged into my modem,  the R1 has an ethernet from it to my old router going into the WAN plug.   The wifi I connect to is not Netduma R1 it is what my old wifi name was called.  My device manager looks different tonight than the picture I posted previously, this is how my device manager looks tonight.  I have optimum and i have their smart router it has both 2.4ghz and 5.0 ghz.

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 10.38.15 PM.png

• Administrators

Okay that looks fine for the setup you have but we want to get the individual devices showing up if possible. Could you provide the name/model of the WiFi router you're using and I can research it for the best way forward

• Administrators

Okay so it doesn't have a native AP mode but there is a workaround you can do. Go to this guide:  https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/  and you'll want to read: Detailed steps (for the beginners) Step 1: Ignore Router B's WAN (Internet) port. 

It seems like quite a few instructions but in reality you don't have to do much in order for it to work. Then in theory all devices then connected to the Sagecom should show up on the device manager. That unnamed device based on the mac address indicates it was an Apple device. Did you connect an Apple device to it when doing initial setup?

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, Rosaria said:

ive completely mucked it up…i can't even find my wifi name anymore!  how do it reset everything?

Not to worry. The Netduma R1 has a RES button on the back of the router - that'll factory reset it. You need to grab something thin to press the button inside - hold the button down for 30+ seconds. You should hear a beep and see the lights go on and off etc when it happens.

Alternatively, if your wired to the Netduma R1 on a PC, you should be able to just access the UI and factory reset from there. I hope this helps :)

hi everyone I've tried to do what you suggested again, but its still not working, I'm following all the steps I just don't understand why I'm having an issue.  Is there anything else I can try, if not I'm sorry i am going to have to ask to return it

It didn't work as in I couldn't get the settings right, i change the iP address and I lose wifi.  Its very frustrating I even had my ex-husband come help me.  I had to reset my router and the netduma, I'm just not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong.  It would be fine if i could just run the netduma alone, but it was kicking us off the wifi.  is this the only router you all have? 

• Administrators

It would cause you to lose internet just briefly when changing the options but the WiFi should come back, would be easier to do on a wired connection. The R1 is the only router solely provided by us but there is the XR500 & XR700 from Netgear that also has DumaOS on, they have both 2.4GHz & 5GHz as well. https://www.netgear.com/npg/xr500 & https://www.netgear.com/npg/xr700

Thanks so much for your response! Would you suggest I try again or since I seem to be having no luck could I exchange it for one of the netgear routers?  It absolutely rocked and my son loved that there was no lag when I had it set up so I definitely want to be able to figure this out.  But I also can't keep spending so much time on getting it to work...

• Administrators

I would suggest you try it again, this time wired and wait for the connection to come back. Should only take a couple of minutes max. We can't exchange the router for a Netgear one as we are different companies. You would have to purchase it from them through one of their retailers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, I've tried the directions from the CNET link again.  I followed them, took my time and I never got internet to come back on wifi.  I've changed the IP addres I did it wired instead  of wireless and I am just having no luck.  I am really at a loss.

• Administrators

Hi there - what were you trying to achieve exactly? Which CNET link were you using (I read back through the thread but I could not see it). Thanks

Hi, thanks for the response! Not sure if you read the entire thread but long story short, when I had the netduma plugged in it was kicking me off wifi…sometimes I couldn't even see it in my wireless network listing!  I asked if i could use my old router with the netduma bc I never had any issues with my old router and was told that I could i just had to turn on AP but there was no way to do that so i was given a workaround with that CNET link.  I tried following the directions several times and i don't know what i am doing wrong but i can never get any wifi to come back so i have to keep resetting all the routers.  I am giving up, I've spent way to much time trying to get this to work.  Originally it was working great my son loved it bc of the lag, but when it started kicking us off the wifi it just became too much. Not sure if its because its only a 2.4ghz and my router from my cable company is dual band or what it could be, I'd really like this to work, I've spent a lot of time on it already. All that being said I am not what you would call tech savvy but I can usually figure things out.  Please see the link below.  I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed at this point.  I'd really love to just be able to plug it in and play but that doesn't seem to want to work for me.  Do I have the option of returning this item?

On 1/30/2019 at 6:47 PM, Netduma Fraser said: