High priority traffic stuck on

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie

Since updating to the latest firmware 2.3.2.40  after a couple of days the high-priority traffic setting gets stuck as if it were set to always in Anti-Bufferbloat. I have that setting as "when high priority traffic detected” because that’s the best solution for me and has worked fine since I’ve had the Router.  Since this update after using my PS4 pro for a couple of days when I finished gaming, high-priority traffic stays on. I can unplug literally every device from my network and still it stays on. I tried to disable DumaOS classified games. no luck it stays on. I removed the console from DumaOS too and it still was detecting high priority traffic and limiting my connection as per the Anti-Bufferbloat slider settings. The only way to stop this is to reboot the router. I’ve already factory reset the router, reloaded the firmware reset the router and turned it off and on and after a couple of days it did it again, so I had to reboot the router yet again to stop this behaviour.  

Its late, 3am and the last thing I needed to be doing is rebooting my network at this time of night, the only way to get full speed back is to set the sliders to 100% but even then for some reason the red dot stays on even if I set traffic high priority to never it didn't stop. I literally have tried everything I know and it keeps happening. I’m guessing there is a bug, which isn’t great Just before Christmas. Also guessing this is to do with the DPI engine. So just putting it out there, any ideas would be great. :( 

slightly off topic but since the update, i ran a ping plotter test on my mates Pc to test the Xr500 on 3 x Fifa (EA) servers and noticed that regardless of what qos settings were used, i got the same spikes on all 3 graphs ... ? Almost as if qos was doing nothing ....?

Tested with xbox one  and ps4 being given traffic priority and tried all 3 qos settings on, off and when high priority traffic detected. and 70 / 70

EA servers tested; easo.ea.com , utas.fut.ea.com and utas.s2.fut.ea.com. Streamed 4k and downloaded a huge torrent while testing.

I watched the graph for an hour and graph showed absolutely no difference with any qos settings used ? (same 7 or 8 spikes throughout the hour)

very strange....?

• Administrators

@Killhippie During the time when it was on when it shouldn't have been did you notice any high priority packets updating? Even if it was just 1 packet every 30s-1min or so?

@xIr8r if you could start a new topic for a different issue that would be good thanks. However, we would never recommend using game servers on Ping Plotter to test your connection, they can be unstable. You want to use a stable destination to ping and then test your connection. So I would recommend redoing it with that in mind.

Guest Killhippie
On 12/20/2018 at 6:49 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

@Killhippie During the time when it was on when it shouldn't have been did you notice any high priority packets updating? Even if it was just 1 packet every 30s-1min or so?

@xIr8r if you could start a new topic for a different issue that would be good thanks. However, we would never recommend using game servers on Ping Plotter to test your connection, they can be unstable. You want to use a stable destination to ping and then test your connection. So I would recommend redoing it with that in mind.

Yes but it seemed everything was high priority traffic tbh. Sorry for the long title, now edited. Pain, Morphine and sleep deprivation isn’t a good mix. 

Guest Killhippie
12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay so it was detecting something, so the packets were updating rapidly even when high priority was disabled?

When I disabled all devices they stopped, Zero traffic. Setting high priority traffic to never did not stop revert the behaviour, disabling classified games did not stop it, basically nothing did. Even with the sliders at 100% and set Anti-Bufferbloat set to ‘never’ it was still registering high-priority traffic yet there were no devices downloading or uploading at the time apart from my iMac and then only a few packets. It was basically like it was stuck, after a reboot it seems to work for a few days absolutely fine and then it doesn’t and it gets stuck.

Oh and the iMac was asleep and in sleep mode there is no traffic going through it, so it wasn't the iMac. After my gaming session I just noticed FaceTime on my iPhone was glitchy and I did a speed test and the results were the same as with the Anti-Bufferbloat sliders set at 70%, and as I said if you move the sliders you get more throughput but everything remains high priority. I only had my iMac connected at this point  but high-priority traffic had remained stuck since my last gaming session a few hours previous. 

Guest Killhippie
47 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When it happens if you look in Network Monitor at the active device click on the total usage bar and see if gaming or anything else that could be prioritized appears in the pie chart please

Okay will do. Tbh with Christmas coming up I may have to swap routers over for a while as I need the stability but I’ll give you the info ASAP. :) 

Guest Killhippie
10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay great thanks, let us know!

Don’t worry I will, this needs fixing, whatever it is. I  may leave the router in place wait for it to go into high priority lockdown then get the info to you and then swap routers afterwards so you have the info ASAP  :) 

you sure the dot wasn't just cached in the browser or something silly like that?

Seems like it's working for me other then PC fortnite not being detected..

I thought it was working earlier, but an xbox decided to turn itself on by itself and fooled me -- ghostly

Guest Killhippie
On 12/21/2018 at 1:18 AM, xr500user said:

you sure the dot wasn't just cached in the browser or something silly like that?

Seems like it's working for me other then PC fortnite not being detected..

I thought it was working earlier, but an xbox decided to turn itself on by itself and fooled me -- ghostly

Alas I wish, my PS4 Pro was haunted. Speeds were down to 39Mbps and 11.2 Mbps which is the 70% marker on my setup, if I increased the sliders towards the 100% mark I got my max rate back. Nope the router was stuck on high priority traffic when it should have gone back to not detecting any, as I was not gaming and had not been for several hours and the PS4 Pro was off, along with my entire network at the end and it still behaved this way. The only thing I've done since resetting it again is to turn off the Hybrid VPN and see if that makes a difference, a few days will tell. If not I'll capture the info Fraser wants and then slide a R7800 back in using Voxels firmware.

Guest Killhippie
On 12/20/2018 at 9:56 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay great thanks, let us know!

Its happened again, high priority got stuck on after playing on the PS4 Pro for a few hours, no traffic in network monitor is classified as high priority and no high priority packets were updating,  just background packets were updating slowly on the upload and download side, a few here and there but not fast just every now and then. Uncategorised static
 Its just as if the router gets stuck after you end a PS4 session and does not switch back to not detecting high priority traffic, and this is only happening on this version of firmware (2.3.2.40)  I have turned off QoS for the time being as It does not work for me as it has in previous firmware versions where detect high priority worked fine. It makes the router pretty unusable for QoS this way but I still have the Geo Filter still. I hope this gets fixed, whatever is causing it.  I didn't really want to go back to using another router. Missing antibufferbloat already  because my speeds are not that great and I need 'when high priority traffic detected'  on. Oh on a side note the Ookla speedtest app on the iPad was recognised as VPN traffic. In fact all traffic from my iPad was until I rebooted it after removing that app, if that helps. 

• Administrators

Just want to make sure I understand:

1. The red HPTD ‘light’ is staying on even after the High Priority Traffic has stopped? We’ve seen this before if a console (for example) uses a lot of bandwidth e.g. updating a game. It can take a few minutes to switch off 

2. Speedtest on IPad was recognised as VPN traffic - could you explain exactly what you mean by ‘recognised as VPN traffic’?

Whats the reason for disabling QoS completely? Might be easier just to toggle between Always and Never. 

Have you added any manual rules to Traffic Prioritisation? Or changes any non-console devices to be consoles in he Device Manager?

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Just want to make sure I understand:

1. The red HPTD ‘light’ is staying on even after the High Priority Traffic has stopped? We’ve seen this before if a console (for example) uses a lot of bandwidth e.g. updating a game. It can take a few minutes to switch off 

2. Speedtest on IPad was recognised as VPN traffic - could you explain exactly what you mean by ‘recognised as VPN traffic’?

Whats the reason for disabling QoS completely? Might be easier just to toggle between Always and Never. 

Have you added any manual rules to Traffic Prioritisation? Or changes any non-console devices to be consoles in he Device Manager?

The RED HPTD stays on and will not go off causing bandwidth to stay at say 70% when its meant to return to giving me my full bandwidth, and there are no updates in the background at all, in fact I can turn the PS4 off and that indicator stays on! After a factory reset it runs for a while smoothly then randomly when you shut the PS4 down after a few hours gaming the HPTD ‘light’ stays on, and never goes off and your bandwidth gets stuck at what the sliders are, even though detect high bandwidth has been selected. Fraser asked me to look in Traffic Monitor to see if anything is registering as Gaming traffic and its not when this happens and high priority traffic is not updating either when like this, just background traffic.

On the last firmware I had the system set to detect high priority traffic with no issue, on the new firmware this works for a few days then glitches out, needing a reset to sort the problem out. This did not happen on the last version of firmware at all this is new behaviour. Also the Ookla speedtest app on my iPad if you use it is recognised by the XR500 as 'VPN traffic" in network monitor and stays that way until you reboot the iPad! (I'm not using the Hybrid VPN feature)  Basically instead of turning on when its needed and off when its not Antibufferbloat gets stuck and you have to switch it to 'never' manually and even then the HPTD indicator remains on when it should go off as there is no high priority traffic as I literally turned my PS4 Pro off at the mains. In fact I turned my entire LAN off and high priority traffic stayed stuck on.

This did not happen in the last firmware at all. I have a great line (bufferbloat A,B) without antibufferbloat on, and only use it to control lag/spikes etc when gaming, its set to 70% but at the moment this feature is not working as it should. Antibufferbloat gets frozen in a always on state and thats with no high priority traffic at all, the PS4 literally was turned off at the mains as I said and it still continued this behaviour. No other devices are registered as a PlayStation, its the same set up as last time but with the new firmware applied (three times now and factory reset) and this new odd bug still occurring. I am a bit fed up or resetting/rebooting my router tbh to stop this as there is no other way to make the HTPD "light" or the slider settings go off apart from apply never, and even then the indicator remains lit untill I reboot the router or reset it. I just want it to register high priority traffic when gaming, not get stuck doing it continually when there is no high priority traffic. <sigh>

• Administrators

I think this is probably something for the developers to look into now. I'll pass it on to see if they can reproduce it, if not they may want to conduct a 1 on 1 with you. Due to the time of the year this probably wouldn't be until at least next week. 

Guest Killhippie
41 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think this is probably something for the developers to look into now. I'll pass it on to see if they can reproduce it, if not they may want to conduct a 1 on 1 with you. Due to the time of the year this probably wouldn't be until at least next week. 

No worries Fraser. Can’t do 1 on 1 though but I’ll hand all the info over. Have a great new year.