Geofilter map icon key

Dmaune

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, Dmaune said:

Is there a key you can publish that lists what each icon on the Geofilter map stands for?

Hopefully we'll have a Geo-Filter legend on DumaOS itself one day! Best place to look at the moment is probably the online user guide. Try page 4 of this guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/93csxo1y2cx21vu/DumaOS_R1_User_Manual.pdf?dl=0

I have a couple questions regarding this.  Keep in mind I play Destiny 2 so I'm not in strict mode.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

Sometimes a player icon appears to be larger than other play icons?  Am I imagining this or does it mean something?

What is it when there is a dashed circle around a player icon?

I have yet to run across a player icon that shows I have denied them though it seems I'm constantly denying the same players.  Same goes for the servers.

A friend of mine who lives not more than 10 miles from me, joined my fireteam last night but it never showed his icon on the map as we were floating around in orbit.  Why is that?  I wanted to approve him so we never ran into issues but he didn't show up.  The only icon on the map that was there when it was just him and I in orbit was about 200 miles away.  Was that most likely him?

• Administrators

Hi Dmaune, 

14 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

Sometimes a player icon appears to be larger than other play icons?  Am I imagining this or does it mean something?

The larger the icon, the more data is being sent by that connection to you. So for most games, this is the host of the game. In Destiny everyone connects to everyone, so normally you would expect the icons to be of a similar size. So in this moment one player was sending more data to you than the others, perhaps because of something happening in-game (e.g. they were shooting you) but I'm not too sure on the cause

16 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

What is it when there is a dashed circle around a player icon?

This means they are either in your Allow list, or they are below your Ping Assist value (if you own the Netduma R1)

16 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

I have yet to run across a player icon that shows I have denied them though it seems I'm constantly denying the same players.  Same goes for the servers.

That's useful for us to know, we're looking into testing Deny further as it may not always be applying. We might use Destiny as the tool now to figure this out. One thing to keep in mind - Deny will kick in after the initial connnection with the player or server is over, so the next time you run into them they will be blocked. It's not instantaneous because otherwise people could use this in-game to boot someone from their game

18 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

A friend of mine who lives not more than 10 miles from me, joined my fireteam last night but it never showed his icon on the map as we were floating around in orbit.  Why is that?  I wanted to approve him so we never ran into issues but he didn't show up.  The only icon on the map that was there when it was just him and I in orbit was about 200 miles away.  Was that most likely him?

I suspect this is how this part of the game is networked. You were most likely just playing on a server-hosted game, with no ping between the players within the game. I imagine if you went to Crucible he would then show up. Perhaps try that next time to verify

13 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi Dmaune, 

The larger the icon, the more data is being sent by that connection to you. So for most games, this is the host of the game. In Destiny everyone connects to everyone, so normally you would expect the icons to be of a similar size. So in this moment one player was sending more data to you than the others, perhaps because of something happening in-game (e.g. they were shooting you) but I'm not too sure on the cause

This means they are either in your Allow list, or they are below your Ping Assist value (if you own the Netduma R1)

That's useful for us to know, we're looking into testing Deny further as it may not always be applying. We might use Destiny as the tool now to figure this out. One thing to keep in mind - Deny will kick in after the initial connnection with the player or server is over, so the next time you run into them they will be blocked. It's not instantaneous because otherwise people could use this in-game to boot someone from their game

I suspect this is how this part of the game is networked. You were most likely just playing on a server-hosted game, with no ping between the players within the game. I imagine if you went to Crucible he would then show up. Perhaps try that next time to verify

Thanks for the quick reply!

1.  In the case of the larger Icons I only notice it when searching for a match.  I never look over to the computer screen while I'm in a match so I really couldn't tell you if there are larger icons at that time.

2.  So the players with the dashed circles are usually a good thing?

3.  Yeah I totally get why there is a delay on the deny feature.  How long is the delay?  I often get paired with the same people over and over even after I exit search and then go back in.  Is there a plan in the future to try to show everyone in the match on the geofilter map?  If we could see everyone it would be really easy to test if deny works.  Simply deny everyone and see if you get paired with any of them again.  

4.  We were playing crucible but it's impossible to tell which player icon is his when you're searching for a match or in the middle of one.  

• Administrators
  1. Ah that makes sense if you're seeing it when searching - that player has probably just joined the lobby so is sending more data than the others at time
  2. It's certainly not a bad thing! It's just confirming they're low ping (below your Ping Assist) or that they're a friend in your Allow list
  3. Delay is about 2 minutes. It's actually up to the game's netcode to decide how many you can see on your Map. Anyone that you are sending or receiving data from within the game will appear on your Map. So if you join a Fortnite game for example, you just see the Dedicated Server because you do not communciate directly with the other 99 players. In Destiny, usually you can see everyone else, but their netcode is quite complex so it may not always work out like that
  4. Perhaps try zooming into the Map where you think he might be (you can increase the Zoom strength in the Geo-Filter Map Options)? If you click on the different players and look at the ping graph below, you might be able to use the Domain name to see if it's him - it usually shows their ISP in the domain name e.g. VirginM or BTCentral