Anti-Bufferboat...Can I keep it on 70% all the time?

thisisreallife

I was reading the help on Anti-Bufferboat and it states this:

"High Priority Traffic Detected will only apply Anti-Bufferbloat when games are being played (all console games and most PC games are automatically detected by DumaOS). Your total bandwidth speeds will only be reduced when games are detected."

So does this mean I can keep it on 70% for both download and upload all the time, and click it on "High priority traffic detected"? Does this mean as soon as I turn my PS4 off, it goes back up to 100% in the background? 

Also some people say to put it on 70%, whilst others state to put it really low, like 5 - 10%, to handicap my connection and cause some 'lag compensation' on my end.

Also, this is my Internet right now:

Ping: 23ms

Download: 20MB

Upload: 1MB.

Next question, why is my upload so low? Is this normal? Can this cause issues?

Secondly, With my internet connection at this level, what shall I set my Anti-Bufferbloat and Bandwith Allocation?

Thanks! 

38 minutes ago, thisisreallife said:

"High Priority Traffic Detected will only apply Anti-Bufferbloat when games are being played (all console games and most PC games are automatically detected by DumaOS). Your total bandwidth speeds will only be reduced when games are detected."

So does this mean I can keep it on 70% for both download and upload all the time, and click it on "High priority traffic detected"? Does this mean as soon as I turn my PS4 off, it goes back up to 100% in the background? 

Also some people say to put it on 70%, whilst others state to put it really low, like 5 - 10%, to handicap my connection and cause some 'lag compensation' on my end.

Secondly, With my internet connection at this level, what shall I set my Anti-Bufferbloat and Bandwith Allocation?

Thanks! 

hi and welcome to the forum.

sliders at 7-/70 are a guideline and should be used as such. I personally use 86/86 as that is optimal for my connection. I have mine set permanently and have it set to "Always" when gaming and "Never" when I am not gaming but I never alter my sliders!

What are your speeds you should be getting? set QOS to "Never" and run a speedtest to see your actual speeds and if so add them to the QOS.

If set to "When high priority traffic detected" it will only lower your speeds and apply the QOS when gaming.....I personally set mine to always just to make sure!

3 hours ago, thisisreallife said:

Thanks! 

Bandwidth has absolutely nothing to do with "lag comp" (I'm tempted to write an essay on here dispelling the myths once and for all, but someone already shared the Denkirson networking guide and apparently nobody read it so maybe I won't waste my time headbutting a wall...) and it'd just make you lag, worsening everyone else's experience, so you can just go ahead and use 70%, or higher if a number like 80 or 90% suppresses bufferbloat just as well. However with just 1Mb upload you'd likely need a number higher than 70% just to prevent you from going too low if another device starts uploading or syncing for example. Luckily games take little more than 100Kb upload to run properly so you should have a little breathing room if you're just playing a game. 

Is your connection type DSL or cable? You should check with your ISP to see if there's a better package available, because if another device is uploading while you play it could prove problematic regardless of your upload QoS value.

As above, set your QoS to "never" and run a speed test to see if your max is actually 20/1. Press the three white lines next to "Anti-Bufferbloat" and put those numbers in the spaces, then just click or tap elsewhere on the page for the changes to take effect. Now you can tweak your QoS accordingly. 

With "when high prio traffic detected" you will indeed go back to 100% as soon as you stop playing! 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, thisisreallife said:

why is my upload so low? Is this normal? Can this cause issues?

Do you usually get 1mps (do a speedtest on 'Never' mode to confirm)? If so, this is just how much your Internet Provider gives you. That's pretty low speeds, so make sure you use Anti-Bufferbloat to ensure there's always room for your PS4. 70/70 is a good amount on those speeds.