Geofilter, players

RobReapz

• Administrators

You won't always see the players. Reason being they are not connecting to you, they are connecting to the server and vice versa. You're communicating with them through the server not directly so you just see the server.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You won't always see the players. Reason being they are not connecting to you, they are connecting to the server and vice versa. You're communicating with them through the server not directly so you just see the server.

That wasnt the case with the old firmware though so whats changed? is it just BO4 or are all the cods like this on DumaOS? That kind of makes DumaOS redundant for me now then as being able to see the players that your playing against locations is probably the most important thing, not which server your connected to imo.

• Administrators

It was, mostly just saw the players being blocked when searching for a game and you still see it to an extent now. The server is what you can control, you can't control the others connecting to the server. The ping to the server is the most important thing there

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It was, mostly just saw the players being blocked when searching for a game and you still see it to an extent now. The server is what you can control, you can't control the others connecting to the server. The ping to the server is the most important thing there

I am in spectating mode fraser, geofilter not in use.

Just tried out BO3 and thats working fine i see all players in the lobby populate the geofilter and stay showing on the map during game.  Why does this not work for BO4 then? Kind of limits the functionality of the geofilter for me personally. 

• Administrators

If its running P2P that will be the case. I've explained why that doesn't happen as you're connecting to the server in game. Not sure why, can you clarify? The host of the game will determine your ping to it, seeing player info is nice but ultimately doesn't help you get a low ping game

Unfortunately getting the lowest pinging server in COD doesnt mean a thing, its more important knowing if someone is 1000's of miles away connecting to the server with most likely a 100ms+ ping as that will massively affect your game play with the way cods net code is. Hence why i used geofilter in show hosts/spectating mode only which allowed me to see all players connected even when on a dedicated server. This has worked for me on every cod apart from now with BO4.

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, RobReapz said:

Unfortunately getting the lowest pinging server in COD doesnt mean a thing, its more important knowing if someone is 1000's of miles away connecting to the server with most likely a 100ms+ ping as that will massively affect your game play with the way cods net code is. Hence why i used geofilter in show hosts/spectating mode only which allowed me to see all players connected even when on a dedicated server. This has worked for me on every cod apart from now with BO4.

Hi Rob - I'm going to see if I can clarify what you're seeing. First off, Black Ops 4 works in an entirely different way to previous CoD titles. What you will see in previous CoD titles is a Player to Player connection, meaning all the players in the game are effectively communicating to each other and to the game host (who will be one of the players). On the Geo-Filter, this communication will be visible - you'll see the other players in the game shown on the map sometimes.

On those same games you can end up connected to a Dedicated Server. If you connect to one of these, the Geo-Filter will look the same as it would in Black Ops 4 - not a whole lot going on, you can only see the server and maybe one or two players if you're lucky.

Black Ops 4 works differently, meaning you only really get the latter. They reworked their networking presumably to support Blackout better. Saying that the lowest ping server doesn't matter is a misunderstanding - you probably wouldn't be saying that if you frequently got connected to servers with over 200ms+ ping. Other players in the game with high pings have always been unavoidable - even in previous CoD titles and previous Geo-Filter versions. It's kinda' sad that you can't see them any more due to the new BO4 setup, but you still have as much control as you always have.

I hope this helps :) 

I will explain how i have used the geofilter in the past, there is method to my madness honest. I would mostly use the geofilter (In the OFF mode) for visual reference of who is connecting to the host. I will attach 2 pics showing a scenario which i mocked up earlier on BO3, as you can clearly see the geo is not enabled and i can see all players in the lobby, this happens from the moment i search for a lobby and enter the map staging area where i will be mostly connected to a dedicated server as you can see from the pic, and still be able to see predominately everyone who is connected to said dedi, and this carries on through the entirety of the match, they dont dissappear like they do if the Geofilter was enabled . So for example in picture 2 whilst waiting for the game to start i notice a 4 man german party join and see that there is a saudi arabian and someone from greece so i can safely back myself out of that lobby and save my self getting high blood pressure, even though its not the worst example I know. This way i can kind of control who i play against and avoid those high ping players which helps massively in an online shooter with crap netcode lol. I am sure most people would happily play the pic with localish players but bet they would back the hell out given the chance if they saw players from miles away connecting to their local server. Anyway just my 2cents, rather disappointed at how it works now for BO4 as i definitely have less control and if theres nothing you guys at netduma can do about it then fair enough, cheers anyway. 50114738_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.366cd6e7b59ddd4fc57df798150652ff.png354265051_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.08653c023c46c12fbd3242a3bb245ce4.png

• Administrators

Don't think I've ever seen anyone use the Geo-Filter like that before so props for doing so! Hence why my answer was related to it being enabled in which you wouldn't see all the players. Maybe they kept the connection alive despite using the game server in case the server went down, hard to say. Either way it was never something we implemented, the map just reports the connections that are happening so if its not working the same way then nothing we can do on that aspect unfortunately