Openwrt on xr500

Mitchie_OG

• Administrators

Best ask the OpenWRT forum. But not sure why you want to do this - you probably won't be able to get DumaOS back on it again, so not only do you not have any of our features, you won't be able to get any of our future features either. Your choice though!

On 11/11/2018 at 5:24 PM, Mitchie_OG said:

I’m looking to see if it’s possible to flash xr500 with openwrt but I’m not sure how to do it correctly. If it’s possible and anybody can help walk me through it I’d appreciate it. 

If 3rd party FW developers are doing anything, you'll need to check with them, i.e. DD-WRT or OpenWRT forums. 

No is the answer. It is not on the list of supported devices on the openwrt database.

As a side note and an important 1:  Installing third party firmware onto a router other than the router manufacturers software will invalidate your warrantee and guarantee so be warned! If you do not know what you are doing or how to do it then do not try unless you don't mind the possibility of bricking your router.

Guest Killhippie
On 11/14/2018 at 8:06 AM, Dialatech said:

I dont understand why you would want to do that tbh. 

You buy a router with the best software you could ask for and then you want to wipe it for openwrt.

Netgear is not the best software by a long mile. Thats why OpenWRT exists because companies like Netgear don't update their code and also at times refuse to publish GPL for current routers (R7800) for instance, so people like Voxel spend huge amounts of time replacing packages that are as I have mentioned before are years old,, in the case of the R9000/R7800 miniupnd was ten years old and just botched by netgear, not replaced and recompiled. There is no excuse for lazy firmware writing and for it to not be patched properly, not when people with full time jobs can fix things and add the latest packages that are not proprietary ones that Netgear cant be bothered to do themselves. Look on smallnetbuilder at how much Voxel replaces for the R9000 and R7800 and then you will realise that in all probability the same underlying issues are likely occurring with the XR700 and XR500 as they are just R9000's and R7800's with DumaOS as an overlay which is  the only part that is kept up to date, or as up to date as Netgear allow...

Just now, Killhippie said:

Netgear is not the best software by a long mile. Thats why OpenWRT exists because companies like Netgear don't update their code and also at times refuse to publish GPL for current routers (R7800) for instance, so people like Voxel spend huge amounts of time replacing packages that are as I have mentioned before are years old,, in the case of the R9000/R7800 miniupnd was ten years old and just botched by netgear, not replaced and recompiled. There is no excuse for lazy firmware writing and for it to not be patched properly, not when people with full time jobs can fix things and add the latest packages that are not proprietary ones that Netgear cant be bothered to do themselves. Look on smallnetbuilder at how much Voxel replaces for the R9000 and R7800 and then you will realise that in all probability the same underlying issues are likely occurring with the XR700 and XR500 as they are just R9000's and R7800's with DumaOS as an overlay which is  the only part that is kept up to date, or as up to date as Netgear allow...

Who mentioned netgear Software? Last time i looked im sure the XR500 was running DumaOS as the software?

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Dialatech said:

Who mentioned netgear Software? Last time i looked im sure the XR500 was running DumaOS as the software?

Nope The XR500 and XR700 run on Netgear firmware and DumaOS like a sandwich, Netgear provide the base firmware that controls the router, Open GPL and OpenSSL packages as well as the Qualcomm drivers etc. DumaOS is an overlay as such on top of Netgears firmware. They work in tandem, which is why it takes so long for updates, as Netgear have to make sure it all runs with their firmware too. A bit of a unholy union. The beta of the XR500 was in fact a R7800 with DumaOS as a download, they later released the XR500 with the same hardware but just added 128MB more flash and a new casing. That's also why the settings are Netgear settings. in the menu, its not a pure DumaOS device like the R1.