Wifi questions/issues

hello, on dumaOS currently only seeing all mobile devices reach up to about 20-25mbps download over wifi... all settings are default. bandwidth is currently 300mbps down 20up.

on speed test tried different servers and set to mbps.. only seeing 20mbps. when first installed the router, all mobile devices seen 100bmps plus... after a day it went to 20mbps.. is there any settings to toggle to fix this? cheers

(fyi, over hardwired i receive full bandwidth, only seeing the issue with mobile devices/tablets etc...)

Edited by mountainping
add

• Administrators

Hi there - go onto the router interface and click Settings and Wireless Setup. Is Smart Connect enabled? If it is not, please enable it, disconnect your mobile devices from WiFi and then reconnect them. Try the speedtest again. 

17 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi there - go onto the router interface and click Settings and Wireless Setup. Is Smart Connect enabled? If it is not, please enable it, disconnect your mobile devices from WiFi and then reconnect them. Try the speedtest again. 

Yes,  Smart Connect is & has been enabled. Where would you recommend going from here?

• Administrators
7 hours ago, mountainping said:

Yes,  Smart Connect is & has been enabled. Where would you recommend going from here?

OK - if you go to Device Manager and look at the Network Map, are your mobile phones on the 5GHz branch (they need to be connected to the router to show this).

I'm trying to confirm that they're definitely on the 5GHz channel because the 2.4GHz is a lot slower.

Do you have a laptop you can test wirelessly as well? Would be good to know what speeds they hit.

17 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

OK - if you go to Device Manager and look at the Network Map, are your mobile phones on the 5GHz branch (they need to be connected to the router to show this).

I'm trying to confirm that they're definitely on the 5GHz channel because the 2.4GHz is a lot slower.

Do you have a laptop you can test wirelessly as well? Would be good to know what speeds they hit.

Hello, yes when checking device manager they all show 5ghz as well as laptop which also gets about 19mbps over WiFi and full speed via Ethernet. I’m not 100% how to appropriately address this. Also if it helps , it’s worth to note that I am I fact on the latest firmware also. What else might I enable or disable to achieve more output from WiFi? 

Like I mentioned earlier, everything is set to default settings , I have not changed any WiFi or qos settings. Not sure why the speed over WiFi dropped dramatically since initially installing the router in the home. First time I ever did a speed test it was giving us over 100mbps over WiFi for downstream and our maximum upstream. Please inform what next step to take? Thank you :)

• Administrators

Could you go to >Settings >Wireless Setup

Could you set your channels and mode to the same as this please  

If they are already like this, then I recommend contacting NETGEAR's official support. They may know something we do not, and it's possible you'll need a hardware replacement.

On 11/14/2018 at 1:37 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Could you go to >Settings >Wireless Setup

Could you set your channels and mode to the same as this please:

If they are already like this, then I recommend contacting NETGEAR's official support. They may know something we do not, and it's possible you'll need a hardware replacement.

yes   these are current settings except for 5ghz channel . and ok 😕

• Netduma Staff
11 hours ago, mountainping said:

yes   these are current settings except for 5ghz channel . and ok 😕

Thanks for letting us know. You've been really patient, thank you for that. Netgear Support might have some great advice for you and even be able to replace your router. I'd recommend telling them every step you tried so you aren't repeating yourself to them too much :)

Ultimately, Netgear built the settings suite, hardware and WiFi capabilities. If there's a bug there then unfortunately we can't fix it ourselves, but we try our hardest to find the cause.

On 11/15/2018 at 2:57 AM, Netduma Jack said:

Thanks for letting us know. You've been really patient, thank you for that. Netgear Support might have some great advice for you and even be able to replace your router. I'd recommend telling them every step you tried so you aren't repeating yourself to them too much :)

Ultimately, Netgear built the settings suite, hardware and WiFi capabilities. If there's a bug there then unfortunately we can't fix it ourselves, but we try our hardest to find the cause.

image.thumb.png.e44882e042afe81a824e7a5a3fa1d477.pngimage.png.e7f4c25c1e600493204c3a2c9ee18351.png

Lastly, forgot to mention that I have everything set to default except for these (as shown in second screenshot) in the settings (more specifically the advanced wireless tab). I cant imagine enabling these will fix the issue, though please inform if in your expereince this will infarct correct the output issue . Cheers

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would actually recommend enabling MU-MIMO

I went ahead and enabled and no improvement.. bummer.... no worries, hopefully in next firmware update it will coprrect itself..

any idea if the next FW update will include the vpn support for any vpn?

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, mountainping said:

I went ahead and enabled and no improvement.. bummer.... no worries, hopefully in next firmware update it will coprrect itself..

any idea if the next FW update will include the vpn support for any vpn?

Okay that's annoying, let us know if it does. I would imagine so as our latest DumaOS code has it but can't promise

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay that's annoying, let us know if it does. I would imagine so as our latest DumaOS code has it but can't promise

I will try and updated the forum if the issue ever subsides. Thank you very much for your support so far, fingers crossed for next fw update. 😄