black ops 3 ping bar shows high latency.

Hi,

I am still playing black ops 3, although it has been too long now, it still my go to game.

I suddenly discovered today that in-game ping bar shows BIG difference from what DumaOS geo-filter peer ping shows.

the game now uses peer host connection system, I am playing all lobbies locally with Geo-filter shows 3-7 ms crisp latency. however, while that being showed in the Duma, the PS4 Pro shows WAY higher ping at 67 ms !!! the problem is what PS4 Pro seems to be the correct reading because a lot of stuttering, rubber banding and instant death do occur in the same game. 

I am now pretty sure that problem actually lies between my router and the PS4, everything seems to be good through my modem and until the router, it is clearly just between my PS4 and the router. 

when I speed test through PS4 browser on local server in speedtest.net, it shows 20ms to my first hop. while the same server show 1ms to my first hop on laptop test!

any suggestion what might be the issue?

thanks you very much in advance.

• Administrators

Hi Huth - how are you connected to the PS4? If wired, try switching out your Ethernet cable as you may have an issue. If wireless, then are you able to play wired?

Also - it’s not unusual for the ping reading to be different, although it shouldn’t be a significant difference, so you may have an issue as you said. 

20 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Hi Huth - how are you connected to the PS4? If wired, try switching out your Ethernet cable as you may have an issue. If wireless, then are you able to play wired?

Also - it’s not unusual for the ping reading to be different, although it shouldn’t be a significant difference, so you may have an issue as you said. 

thank you very much.

Yes I am playing wired, I am now investigating the issue, will follow up directly once I find something. 

Yeah I also play BO3. For me the ping on the Geo-FIlter for a local dedicated server shows 11-15 ms ping. However on the the COD BO3 in game ping, it shows either 17ms or exactly 34ms, nothing in between 17-34. At times during the game the in game ping jumps from 17ms to 34ms and then back to 17ms. Is that normal? BTW I play wired.

49 minutes ago, Torrance117 said:

Yeah I also play BO3. For me the ping on the Geo-FIlter for a local dedicated server shows 11-15 ms ping. However on the the COD BO3 in game ping, it shows either 17ms or exactly 34ms, nothing in between 17-34. At times during the game the in game ping jumps from 17ms to 34ms and then back to 17ms. Is that normal? BTW I play wired.

Hi, thanks for your input.

if the same was happening with, I mean that 5-10 ms difference, I would not bother, but I am seeing 4-7ms on DumaOS and 67ms on PS4.

by the way, I attached my Network Overview snapshot, showing strange signal during BO3 game play. 

network.JPG

• Administrators

That’s normal on the network overview. It’s called the ‘saw tooth’ effect on TCP connections (Google it if you’re interested). 

But one interesting thing from that image is that you’re using a chunk of bandwidth, probably a download. Make sure you set your Anti-Bufferbloat to 70% and High Priority Traffic Detected mode. Then see if that solves your issue. 

On 9/14/2018 at 4:02 PM, Torrance117 said:

Same here.  The server shows 11-15 ms but in game it shows 17 ms than jump to 34ms. 

When I connect my modem directly to my ps4 I get a 17 me stable never jump to 34ms. Any ideas why it jump from 17ms to 34ms using xr500?

• Netduma Staff

The odd ping spike is normal, though if they're frequent (more than once every 10 seconds or so) then you likely have a line issue. The best way to check is using Pingplotter - a free piece of software that can give you a clear reading of your line quality.

As a general rule, ping spikes / jitter are caused by your upstream equipment. It could either be your cables, your Modem or your ISP line. Very rarely can a router cause these types of issues.