Bandwidth bottleneck with Netduma R1

Can you all explain to me why when my Netduma R1 is connected directly to my cable modem, it bottle necks my speeds?  I have 2 routers, the Netduma R1 and a Nighthawk AC1900 (R6900v2).  The Netduma has been completely reset to factory default settings and it still bottle necks my speeds.  However when my Nighthawk is connected everything works as intended with no issues.  I've adjusted numerous settings and disabled numerous settings as I've seen in the Netduma forums.  Nothing helps.  This thing just simply won't allow my full speeds to go through.  Can you please tell me why this is happening?

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, TrillGates2k6 said:

Can you all explain to me why when my Netduma R1 is connected directly to my cable modem, it bottle necks my speeds?  I have 2 routers, the Netduma R1 and a Nighthawk AC1900 (R6900v2).  The Netduma has been completely reset to factory default settings and it still bottle necks my speeds.  However when my Nighthawk is connected everything works as intended with no issues.  I've adjusted numerous settings and disabled numerous settings as I've seen in the Netduma forums.  Nothing helps.  This thing just simply won't allow my full speeds to go through.  Can you please tell me why this is happening?

Hi, welcome to the forum! I believe I responded to an email you sent or something similar, so make sure to check that in case I say something different here!

First off, what are your speeds? If your speeds aren't higher than 100mbps then this is very likely to be a configuration issue. The Netduma R1 can handle a max of 600mbps throughput, so if you have more than that you won't be able to reach your full speeds.

Try out these settings and let me know how you get on:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% anti-flood
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Enable UPnP and remove any Port Forwarding rules
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Disable IPv6 in misc, LAN and WAN
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I've tried all of this.  I also failed to mention that I'm also a Network Engineer.  CCNA, Network+, Security+, A+ and a B.S. in Computer Science.  I am very well versed in troubleshooting as well as network analytics.  Trust me, if it were a configuration issue, I would've found it long ago.  I'm starting to think this is just a device issue.  Like I said before, I have another router that hits my top speed of 550 Mbps with no issues.  I connect my R1 and it barely gets 150 Mbps.  I've factory defaulted this thing as well.  The weird thing is, I used to be able to get those speeds with my R1.  Which further leads me to believe that the product itself has possibly failed.  Even with the new DumaOS upgraded firmware, I still get the same speeds.  And I always have had IPV6 disabled on LAN and WAN and had turbo and super turbo enabled.  Congestion Control is always on Reactive and I've pushed the Download and Upload sliders all the way to 100%;  Moved them down to 97%, 95%, 90%;  I've literally played around with every setting the router has to offer thinking that maybe it was just a configuration issue.  All to no avail.  I'm confident it's the box itself.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you're on DumaOS now, have you disabled QoS in Anti-Bufferbloats options and still see the same issue?

The speed was tested with and without the QoS disabled.  I saw no real change in speed.  At the time, no other devices were connected to the R1 except the device conducting the speed test.  And it was connected via LAN cable.  So there were also no other devices that could have possibly been competing for bandwidth.  But it was tested both ways.

I'm just going to be honest.  I'm not real happy with this product at this point in time.  If there's nothing you all can do about it, just say that.  Does this thing still have a warranty on it?  I mean, why not just swap it out.  Maybe you all will find something wrong with it that is probably affecting other people who may not even realize it's an issue yet.  I'm just over it to be honest.  $200.00 paper weight at this point.  It's doing me no good.

• Administrators

I'm trying to assess if there is an issue or not, if QoS was disabled and full speeds then great working as expected if not then something else is going on. It seems like you've had the issue for awhile but waited over a month to seek help again so we want to be sure of what is happening. If you used to get the speeds but don't now then yes either it could be the router or something else in your setup may have changed that could have affected it, do you know of anything else thats changed in your setup since then? If you purchased within a year then you can email [email protected] 

On 11/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm trying to assess if there is an issue or not, if QoS was disabled and full speeds then great working as expected if not then something else is going on. It seems like you've had the issue for awhile but waited over a month to seek help again so we want to be sure of what is happening. If you used to get the speeds but don't now then yes either it could be the router or something else in your setup may have changed that could have affected it, do you know of anything else thats changed in your setup since then? If you purchased within a year then you can email [email protected] 

My router was purchased on January 19th 2016.  I've been having these issues for months.  Initially I thought it was an issue with my ISP.  And it actually took months for them to actually come out and resolve an issue with a faulty cable splitter.  Once that issue was resolved, I was then able to pinpoint that the issue with the bandwidth coming from the WAN was the Netduma.  These issues occurred on the older Netduma R1 firmware as well as the newer DumaOS firmware.  The router had been factory defaulted several times during the troubleshooting of the issue.  Any setting you can think of has been modified and changed several times over trying to gain higher speeds.  There's just no rhyme or reason to it.  It's not a setting issue, I do truly believe it's a hardware issue.  I get full speeds with no router connected.  I also get full speeds with my Netgear Nighthawk Router connected.  The R1 is just a paper weight.  What can be done at this point?

• Netduma Staff

I'm thinking it's simply that the hardware can't reach the speeds you require it to reach. Bear in mind that the hardware is older than the Nighthawks. It should really be able to get higher than 150mbps, but I'd be surprised if anyone managed to get 550mbps out of a Netduma R1. It's simply not built for high speeds.

The R1 was built for gaming, and many streamers enjoy it as well. Since games only use <0.5mbps, there's usually more than enough bandwidth to cohesively stream and game at the same time - especially if you're using Anti-Bufferbloat to stabilise your connection.

With QoS disabled, what speeds do you get exactly? What about with it not disabled?

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

I'm thinking it's simply that the hardware can't reach the speeds you require it to reach. Bear in mind that the hardware is older than the Nighthawks. It should really be able to get higher than 150mbps, but I'd be surprised if anyone managed to get 550mbps out of a Netduma R1. It's simply not built for high speeds.

The R1 was built for gaming, and many streamers enjoy it as well. Since games only use <0.5mbps, there's usually more than enough bandwidth to cohesively stream and game at the same time - especially if you're using Anti-Bufferbloat to stabilise your connection.

With QoS disabled, what speeds do you get exactly? What about with it not disabled?

That doesn’t make sense though because my Netduma used to reach those speeds with no issue. And I have other devices in my house that require the higher bandwidth. So it’s imperative that I can reach those speeds 

• Administrators
16 hours ago, TrillGates2k6 said:

I’m still waiting guys

I've moved this to the support forum - this is why your reply was missed.

Are you on DumaOS now? If so, please go to Qos and click Anti-Bufferbloat's options (burger menu in top left). Then check Disable QoS.

You will then reach speeds up to 700mbps wired. The wifi is limited to about 70mbps because of the hardware.

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

I've moved this to the support forum - this is why your reply was missed.

Are you on DumaOS now? If so, please go to Qos and click Anti-Bufferbloat's options (burger menu in top left). Then check Disable QoS.

You will then reach speeds up to 700mbps wired. The wifi is limited to about 70mbps because of the hardware.

That has already been tried as seen in the previous comments 

• Administrators

Have you connected all the same equipment into your modem? And when you do, do you get full speeds?

If so, this has to be a hardware issue. Please email [email protected] if this is the case and we can take it from there. 

10 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Have you connected all the same equipment into your modem? And when you do, do you get full speeds?

If so, this has to be a hardware issue. Please email [email protected] if this is the case and we can take it from there. 

All of that has been done already. I will email them 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so here we are.  I have the Netduma R1 that you all sent to me.  I went in and made sure that the firmware was up to date.  So I upgraded it to the newest version of DumaOS.  I made sure IPV6 was turned OFF on both the WAN and LAN side.  I set the Anti-Bufferbloat to NEVER.  I made sure the check box for Disable QoS was checked.  So at this point, this thing should be wide open.  I still got mediocre speeds.  It's crazy.  I literally don't know what's going on.  I'm just starting to think that this R1 isn't capable of achieving high speeds.  And I have my Netgear Nighthawk sitting right next to it.  I literally take the WAN cable out of the R1 and plug it into the Nighthawk and the speeds go from 190 Mbps to 580 Mbps.  There's just no comparison.  And I've tested at least 10 different servers on Speedtest.  I have the SPEEDTEST app downloaded onto my PC because it's more reliable that way.  And I tested the same servers on each router.  The R1 gets really low to mediocre speeds each time.  So tell me, am I missing something here?  Am i not doing something right?  Is there a setting that needs to be changed that I didn't change?  I have literally been to almost every setting on the R1 and have changed them back and forth in between testing to see if there was some sort of significant speed change.  And there was not.  At this point, I think I'd rather have a refund.  Or if you all have a better idea, I'd like to hear it.  But there is no reason why I pay my ISP for 550 Mbps every month and my router can't pass it along to even 1 single device.  There was no other devices connected to the R1 during testing, only my laptop via a LAN cable.  That's it.  And it still couldn't reach 500 Mbps.  It didn't even reach 400 Mbps.  It's pretty sad.  But then I remove the cable from the WAN port and plug it into my Nighthawk and this think is getting 580 Mbps on the same exact servers that I just tested with the R1 on the same laptop using the same app.

• Administrators

What speeds are you getting on this new R1?

Could run a speedtest on your R1 and take a screenshot of the System Information page please while it's happening? The CPU should be maxed out, as the hardware is the limitation. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

What speeds are you getting on this new R1?

Could run a speedtest on your R1 and take a screenshot of the System Information page please while it's happening? The CPU should be maxed out, as the hardware is the limitation. 

Thanks

I’m in bed currently. But the speeds are right around 170 - 180 Mbps most often. They should be around 550 - 580 Mbps

To be honest with you, I'm a little tired of the whole back and forth.  I think what I'm going to do is, I'm going to set up a tripod with my phone recording the entire speed test.  That way you can see my baseline with no router attached at all, then you can see my test as it passes through the R1 and then through the Nighthawk.