HideMyASS VPN is Slow... Any ideas?

BreedSuccess

Hello,

Just got my Netduma R1 Gaming Router yesterday.

Today I ordered 1 month of the HideMyAss VPN service, they have a server 9ms from my house... perfect, right?

No, when connected to any of the HideMyAss servers, close proximity or far, my connection speeds crap the proverbial toilet!

When Connected to VPN:

Computer Speeds:

• Download speed drops from 128mb/s to 15mb/s
  • Upload speed drops from 28mb/s to 18mb/s 

PlayStation 4 Speeds:

• Download speed drops from 36mb/s to 5mb/s
  • Upload speed drops from 6mb/s to 2mb/s 

The HideMyAss online support chat guy was unable to provide any insight.

Is there something I need to do within the router to make the speeds faster or is this just a problem with the HideMyAss VPN servers?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-BreedSuccess

• Netduma Staff

Hia BreedSuccess, welcome to the forums :)

It's likely that this is a limitation with the HMA servers. This is probably the maximum speed that it can handle - 15Mbps from my experience with VPNs is actually not too bad.

On a side note, don't rely on the Playstation Network speed test. They are not ver accurate and often provide incorrect results. It is much better to use speedtest.net or another reputable speed testing site from your PC :)

Thanks.. already went through that when I hooked up the router yesterday.. changed everything! The router is running at 128mb/s download speed.  

Exactly what I pay my ISP for and was getting on my old router.

Other than the cool software one of the main reasons I got the Netduma was for the ease of VPN access, I am constantly getting hit with DDoS attacks while competing online, so I do want the VPN.

Should I try using a different VPN provider?

Thanks,

-BreedSuccess

• Netduma Staff

Thanks.. already went through that when I hooked up the router yesterday.. changed everything! The router is running at 128mb/s download speed.  

Exactly what I pay my ISP for and was getting on my old router.

Other than the cool software one of the main reasons I got the Netduma was for the ease of VPN access, I am constantly getting hit with DDoS attacks while competing online, so I do want the VPN.

Should I try using a different VPN provider?

Thanks,

-BreedSuccess

I  don't think that you will get many that can handle high speeds like that. But your console doesn't need those high speeds so it isn't necessary for the VPN to handle that.

Remember that your just trying to hide your real IP so if you are DDOSED you can change server and carry on playing :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input... Canceling the HideMyAss VPN service and moving to a VPN advertised for online gaming.

VyprVPN

Any idea how to turn the below link into a useable "copy and paste" file for the VPN section of the Netduma Router?

Below is the link viper vpn gave when I asked for the config files.

https://support.goldenfrog.com/hc/en-us/sections/200628153-Tomato

Any help would be much appreciated. 

(FYI... in game the HideMyAss vpn had CRAZY ping up to 3000ms... yes, 3000ms.)

Thanks,

-BreedSuccess

• Netduma Staff

Any idea how to turn the below link into a useable "copy and paste" file for the VPN section of the Netduma Router?

Below is the link viper vpn gave when I asked for the config files.

https://support.goldenfrog.com/hc/en-us/sections/200628153-Tomato

Try pasting this config into the Advanced section. I'ver made it from the the information they put in that link. If it does works you can change the server you connect to to one closer to you. If it doesn't then there is something wrong with the config :)

• Administrators

Thanks Crossy, Breed that should work. Let us know if it doesn't. Also I recommend getting trials with VPN servers before purchasing so you can pick one you're happy with. 

Also a few further questions, are you using it for gaming as most of customers do? If so bandwidth is not important at all and remember VPN bandwidth will always be low I think the best you'll get is around 15mbits. So enough to watch videos and stream but basically depending on what you're doing I can assist you on which features to use.

Also we'll be doing a VPN trial very soon. Are you interested in participating? If so please let me know where you're from. Thanks 

Hi Crossy,

Thank you for your effort on this.  The link you made isn't working for me, tried it both with and without "client" at the top.  

"Failed to connect"

VPN Logs:

"Use --help for more information"

I am able to connect through their downloadable application, just not through the router.

Any other ideas?

Hi Iain,

Yes, learned my lesson yesterday... going through the trial pains now!  Will subscribe to a service when one works well. 

The reason I want a VPN is to play online and hide my IP is to prevent from DDOS attacks and "slow cooks" while playing on competitive websites. 

This packet flooding is an epidemic on the competitive sites that my team plays on and I would like to be a little more protected.

VPN trial? Sign me up... I live near Detroit, Michigan USA.

Thanks,

-Breed 

• Administrators

Hi Breed,

I'll help out with VPN config file but I'm a bit busy at the moment. How long have you got the trial for?

Also are you playing PC or console? If PC you should use our VPN-Hybrid so you get the ultimate solution :D 

Hi Iain,

I'm on the free trial forever! They just limit the actual usage to 500mb/month.

https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/buy-vpn

The limited plan.

I play on a console, PS4.

If you have a question for their support team about setting this up through the Netduma, let me know and I'll get in contact with them.

Thanks,

-Breed

• Netduma Staff

Hi Breed,

I've just jumped on their live support and grabbed a download link for all their prewritten config files. You can download that here.

Find one of the config files with a server name near you (from the 'OpenVPN160' folder) and open it with a text editor.

Copy and paste the whole thing into the advanced section on the Netduma and delete the line that says ';ca ca.vyprvpn.com.crt'. Then try to connect with your VPN credentials. This should work. If it doesn't please post the VPN log :)

Hi Crossy,

Thank you!  This works perfectly.

VyprVPN definitely has better Ping consistency than HideMyAss.

Only played 1 game so far and Ping avg. was around 40-50ms with random crazy spikes up to 250ms... so still not perfect but moving in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

-Breed 

• Netduma Staff

Hi Crossy,

Thank you!  This works perfectly.

VyprVPN definitely has better Ping consistency than HideMyAss.

Only played 1 game so far and Ping avg. was around 40-50ms with random crazy spikes up to 250ms... so still not perfect but moving in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

-Breed 

Awesome! Glad to hear that it is working :) As this problem seams to be solved I'll close this thread. If you have any more issues please feel free to make a new one.

Archived