Best ADSL/VDSL Cord from internet socket into modem????

Jettman

I got mine off eBay. Rather than a flat ribbon cable - the cheap crappy kind that are made for peanuts - it was a twisted pair solid core VDSL2 cable, which I bought on Zennon's recommendation.

I don't actually know of any websites that do anything similar, and unfortunately I can't find the guy on eBay anymore. Do you know if your socket and modem take only RJ11 or can the socket take RJ45 (a regular ethernet type plug) too? Our VDSL2 wall sockets can take both and RJ45 is recommended on the socket end for a better fit, while of course it's RJ11 on the modem end. Or does your gear use completely differently plugs? If you let me know what your socket takes I'll look around for something of similar quality for you.

Edit: actually I found something similar on eBay. The guy is based in London but he posts to Australia. If you don't order it because of delivery costs or whatever, you can use that product as an example of what to look for https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-Cat5e-Modem-Cable-ADSL2-VDSL-RJ45-RJ11-Twisted-Pair-Lead-High-Speed-Broadband-/162952885504

Edit 2: here's a cat6 example (which I have). They're generally thicker and sturdier, but they're not hard to manage and hide away since you want a short cable (<1m) from wall to modem anyway :) https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cat6-BT-Infinity-3M-Modem-cable-VDSL-RJ11-RJ45-High-speed-Broadband-Gaming-/323140372200

Edit 2: here's a cat6 example (which I have). They're generally thicker and sturdier, but they're not hard to manage and hide away since you want a short cable ( https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cat6-BT-Infinity-3M-Modem-cable-VDSL-RJ11-RJ45-High-speed-Broadband-Gaming-/323140372200

You can actually have a bit of length to the twisted pair RJ11 with no loss and the same noise protection :)

I can not have my modem right next to the master socket as their is no power in the hall so I pipe twisted pair RJ11 into the living room which is the closest room with power knowing there is little to no noise being sucked up like a cheap flat cable would.

Even if the modem was right next to the master I would still use twisted pair and don't get me started on ferrite cores haha :)

You can actually have a bit of length to the twisted pair RJ11 with no loss and the same noise protection :)

I can not have my modem right next to the master socket as their is no power in the hall so I pipe twisted pair RJ11 into the living room which is the closest room with power knowing there is little to no noise being sucked up like a cheap flat cable would.

Even if the modem was right next to the master I would still use twisted pair and don't get me started on ferrite cores haha :)

Ah fair enough. I thought it was DSL cables that were more prone to performance issues over anything more than tiny lengths. Well, compared to ethernet anyway :P

As long as it's good quality I guess that's what matters when using a longer cable. Luckily the guy who installed my socket placed it below a double power socket so I can afford to use a 0.5m twisted pair cable and then I run a 15m ethernet cable upstairs to my R1. The other power socket is reserved for a lamp lol.

Ah fair enough. I thought it was DSL cables that were more prone to performance issues over anything more than tiny lengths. Well, compared to ethernet anyway :P

As long as it's good quality I guess that's what matters when using a longer cable. Luckily the guy who installed my socket placed it below a double power socket so I can afford to use a 0.5m twisted pair cable and then I run a 15m ethernet cable upstairs to my R1. The other power socket is reserved for a lamp lol.

RJ11 twisted pair is in essence RJ11 terminated Ethernet cable and we know how good that is :)

I got mine off eBay. Rather than a flat ribbon cable - the cheap crappy kind that are made for peanuts - it was a twisted pair solid core VDSL2 cable, which I bought on Zennon's recommendation.

I don't actually know of any websites that do anything similar, and unfortunately I can't find the guy on eBay anymore. Do you know if your socket and modem take only RJ11 or can the socket take RJ45 (a regular ethernet type plug) too? Our VDSL2 wall sockets can take both and RJ45 is recommended on the socket end for a better fit, while of course it's RJ11 on the modem end. Or does your gear use completely differently plugs? If you let me know what your socket takes I'll look around for something of similar quality for you.

Edit: actually I found something similar on eBay. The guy is based in London but he posts to Australia. If you don't order it because of delivery costs or whatever, you can use that product as an example of what to look for https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-Cat5e-Modem-Cable-ADSL2-VDSL-RJ45-RJ11-Twisted-Pair-Lead-High-Speed-Broadband-/162952885504

Edit 2: here's a cat6 example (which I have). They're generally thicker and sturdier, but they're not hard to manage and hide away since you want a short cable (<1m) from wall to modem anyway :) https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cat6-BT-Infinity-3M-Modem-cable-VDSL-RJ11-RJ45-High-speed-Broadband-Gaming-/323140372200

will the cat 6 one work for aus

Yes mate. Cat5/5e/6 etc are just different quality grades. Basically cat6 is thicker, less prone to interference/crosstalk and it can maintain the same amount of bandwidth over longer distances or more over shorter distances.