Router giving less speed than modem

When connected directly to my modem I get 500 down and 40 up. Once I connect the router it goes down to 170 down and 16 up. My QOS is disabled when I am performing the test. Any help would be most appreciated.

• Administrators

Hi Deez - are you performing each test via a wire or wirelessly? What device are you using to test?

if QoS is disabled it means the difference is in the hardware so it’s good to know your setup. 

• Administrators

Using Xbox One’s speedtest is probably the reason. It’s notoriously unreliable. Could you connect to a PC instead and use speedtest.net. Hopefully then you’ll have the same result.

Using Xbox One’s speedtest is probably the reason. It’s notoriously unreliable. Could you connect to a PC instead and use speedtest.net. Hopefully then you’ll have the same result.

Riddle me this,  If this particular user is able to get his normal speeds via the Xbox one X every time using just the modem but can't get his full speeds when using the XR500, it must be an Xbox one issue???  That makes no sense.  I use my Xbox one X all the time to check speeds and is accurate every-time.  It is even more reliable than my PC.  

I mean we download games that are over 50 gig and if the XR500 can not use our ISP full speeds to do it that is an issue, don't you think?

My Ethernet port on my laptop does not work which is why I use the OneX. In the past running speedtest on the OneX always gave me correct speeds for the tier I was in. So I do not think that that is the issue. Any other ideas on how to possibly address the issue? I also use speedtest.net on the OneX and get the same result.

• Administrators

Riddle me this,  If this particular user is able to get his normal speeds via the Xbox one X every time using just the modem but can't get his full speeds when using the XR500, it must be an Xbox one issue???  That makes no sense.  I use my Xbox one X all the time to check speeds and is accurate every-time.  It is even more reliable than my PC.  

I mean we download games that are over 50 gig and if the XR500 can not use our ISP full speeds to do it that is an issue, don't you think?

Completely understand your logic, but from experience we have often seen wacky results from console speedtests that it's so much better to check using a PC to see if the results are the same. Then you can isolate where the issue might be.

My Ethernet port on my laptop does not work which is why I use the OneX. In the past running speedtest on the OneX always gave me correct speeds for the tier I was in. So I do not think that that is the issue. Any other ideas on how to possibly address the issue? I also use speedtest.net on the OneX and get the same result.

Does your modem have an option for 'modem mode' or 'bridge mode'? If yes, could you enable this and see if speeds return to max when connected to the XR500.

If not, does your modem have a 'DMZ' option? If yes, try putting the XR500's WAN IP address into a DMZ on your modem. You can find the WAN IP by going to the System Information page on your XR500.

And just to double check, when you say you have 'disabled QoS' on the XR500, did you open the advanced options on Anti-Bufferbloat and check the 'Disable QoS' button. That is the only way to do a full disable of the QoS.

Riddle me this, If this particular user is able to get his normal speeds via the Xbox one X every time using just the modem but can't get his full speeds when using the XR500, it must be an Xbox one issue??? That makes no sense. I use my Xbox one X all the time to check speeds and is accurate every-time. It is even more reliable than my PC.

Riddle me this .... you and bimmer should hang your head in shame around these parts stealing software. If you had a brain you wouldnt have done it using the same user names as here you fool, go and do your high and mighty guru somewhere else.

Guest Killhippie

The reason could be that antibufferbloat is set to always on, the sliders are maybe set to 70% (recommended default) and the OP did not adjust QoS to give higher percentages to devices that needed it. So the XR500 is doing what its meant to because if antibufferbloat is set to 'always' your bandwidth is reduced by the amount set by the sliders, hence adjusting in QoS gets you what you want, or you just don't go as low as say 70% on a low speed line. Also download does not have to be as as low as say upload for gaming anyway.

So the XR500 doing is doing its job, users may not fully understand how antibufferbloat works and because nobody knows what percentage a wireless printer should have over a wireless speaker (Netgear or Netduma come on a guide would be useful for this stuff ) people just leave them all on the same percentage for both up an down and share that amongst all devices equally in QoS.

If you have 10 devices and only 70% the bandwidth of a say a 55Mbps line thats 38.5Mbps for all devices, not much really. It would be great if DumaOS could set these parameters on the fly for best throughput when gaming and not gaming, Like Streamboost does. I think If unsure set it to maybe 87% down and 70% up or whatever works best for your line, just experiment as each line is different don't stick with defaults. I still think a guide for common devices and rough percentages for them would be helpful though. I mean if you have say 30Mbps down 10Mbps up you can always leave it on 'detect high priority traffic' so you get your full download unless you are gaming and if bufferbloat on your line is not bad anyway you wont see much effect on streaming say Netflix even in 4K anyway.

Riddle me this .... you and bimmer should hang your head in shame around these parts stealing software. If you had a brain you wouldnt have done it using the same user names as here you fool, go and do your high and mighty guru somewhere else.

Get your facts straight, i did not steal anything. I use my same user name every where because i am not ashamed of or trying to hide anything, you fool. You probably need to calm down and relax. You're like a basket case. Lol

The reason could be that antibufferbloat is set to always on, the sliders are maybe set to 70% (recommended default) and the OP did not adjust QoS to give higher percentages to devices that needed it. So the XR500 is doing what its meant to because if antibufferbloat is set to 'always' your bandwidth is reduced by the amount set by the sliders, hence adjusting in QoS gets you what you want, or you just don't go as low as say 70% on a low speed line. Also download does not have to be as as low as say upload for gaming anyway.

So the XR500 doing is doing its job, users may not fully understand how antibufferbloat works and because nobody knows what percentage a wireless printer should have over a wireless speaker (Netgear or Netduma come on a guide would be useful for this stuff ) people just leave them all on the same percentage for both up an down and share that amongst all devices equally in QoS.

If you have 10 devices and only 70% the bandwidth of a say a 55Mbps line thats 38.5Mbps for all devices, not much really. It would be great if DumaOS could set these parameters on the fly for best throughput when gaming and not gaming, Like Streamboost does. I think if If unsure set it to maybe 87% down and 70% up or whatever works best for your line, just experiment as each line is different don't stick with defaults. I still think a guide for common devices and rough percentages for them would be helpful though. I mean if you have say 30Mbps down 10Mbps up you can always leave it on 'detect high priority traffic' so you get your full download unless you are gaming and if bufferbloat on your line is not bad anyway you wont see much effect on streaming say Netflix even in 4K anyway.

Good point!

Get your facts straight, i did not steal anything. I use my same user name every where because i am not ashamed of or trying to hide anything, you fool. You probably need to calm down and relax. You're like a basket case. Lol

Using pirated software from a company then use said company's website with no shame hay. Such a nice guy.

Lets keep in topic. What others do with there own bought hw is of no concern of yours. If your going to post, be helpful in postings and not a troll. I dont see you over on the linksys forums complaining about how the wrt users made the wrt32x Firmware work on the wrt1900acm when they found out the two router hardware was the same. Shame shame basketscase!!!

I’ll recommend that the moderators please remove basket cases posts as there not helpful at all and siting his trolliness!