Any new firmware

Hey, just logged in to the router for first time in 2 months,great to see it’s got an uptime of 60 days with no dc ,solid as a mars rock,anyway my firmware is .10 ,just wondering if there’s a new firmware as been away working for 2 months so drinking lots of beer and to be honest I’m gonna drink more after being in Saudi that long ....cheers and thanks as will do it if it’s available.

• Administrators

Hi Sharpz - hope you're enjoying the beer! There is a new version which has server blocking and multi-zoom on the Geo-Filter. It was posted temporarily this morning but it looks like a bug with UPnP slipped through testing so NETGEAR are just working on that now before making it available again. It shouldn't be too long.

You can see the latest version by going to this page and scrolling down to 'Firmware and Software Downloads': https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download

Hi Sharpz - hope you're enjoying the beer! There is a new version which has server blocking and multi-zoom on the Geo-Filter. It was posted temporarily this morning but it looks like a bug with UPnP slipped through testing so NETGEAR are just working on that now before making it available again. It shouldn't be too long.

You can see the latest version by going to this page and scrolling down to 'Firmware and Software Downloads': https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download

That’s great thanks

Guest Killhippie

V2.3.2.18 is still available for download, UPnP seems to work but it just does not show you what ports are being opened. I doubt Netgear will pull the firmware for that. It will be fixed in the next release I imagine, whenever that is. It was posted yesterday and available yesterday and as i mentioned is still up on the Netgear site now.

https://kb.netgear.com/000058866/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-18

Guest Killhippie

I will wait then if there’s a bug with upnp... cheers

You may be waiting a long time. For myself UPnP works tbh its a security risk and business class routers tend not to even have UPnP but its convenient instead of port mapping all the time. All my games play just fine, its just I cant see the ports being opened in the mapping table, now considering the previous version had that working but the firewall was not in stealth mode as port 22 showed as closed not stealth (fixed in latest version) and with the new Geo filter stuff you have to balance what you want. Personally I don't spend a huge amount of time checking what's opening in UPnP (it looks like a GUI big tbh but we need a definitive answer on that) but I like my firewall to be as all other Netgear routers are which is getting a nice true stealth on shields up even though they will still get port scanned and the bug fixes and the change to the VPN are important to. Its up to you but I can only speak for myself and that's to say this version is fine after a reset, and if you want to use the VPN feature you need the new update anyway. Choice is yours but generally it's always better to run the latest firmware, as I said the old one had a few bugs but people still used that. ;)

You may be waiting a long time. For myself UPnP works tbh its a security risk and business class routers tend not to even have UPnP but its convenient instead of port mapping all the time. All my games play just fine, its just I cant see the ports being opened in the mapping table, now considering the previous version had that working but the firewall was not in stealth mode as port 22 showed as closed not stealth (fixed in latest version) and with the new Geo filter stuff you have to balance what you want. Personally I don't spend a huge amount of time checking what's opening in UPnP (it looks like a GUI big tbh but we need a definitive answer on that) but I like my firewall to be as all other Netgear routers are which is getting a nice true stealth on shields up even though they will still get port scanned and the bug fixes and the change to the VPN are important to. Its up to you but I can only speak for myself and that's to say this version is fine after a reset, and if you want to use the VPN feature you need the new update anyway. Choice is yours but generally it's always better to run the latest firmware, as I said the old one had a few bugs but people still used that. ;)

I’ll just update it then and do a 30/30/30 as always,not bothered about seeing the ports open as long as they do which looks like they will from what you are saying,cheers for the info hippie

Well, upnp specifically won't respond to manual port forward requests from a qnap. Synology, any version of plex or my make shift Linux web server , previous versions would open ports via upnp fine, they just do not open/ fail the requests on this firmware so is a bigger issue than just the gui.

But for gaming, a moderate Nat should suffice for most games

Guest Killhippie

Well, upnp specifically won't respond to manual port forward requests from a qnap. Synology, any version of plex or my make shift Linux web server , previous versions would open ports via upnp fine, they just do not open/ fail the requests on this firmware so is a bigger issue than just the gui.

But for gaming, a moderate Nat should suffice for most games

I have been told by two people one here and one in Netgear to roll back as the firmware si pulled (even though its still up on Netgears site) its been pulled from the auto update too so that would indicate caution is probably the best way forward. If it works for you fine but if you have any doubts or or issues just roll back and await the update to this. I miss my zoom on the Geo filter, a stealth Firewall and the ability to ban servers already  :(