Netduma Tech Support - Latency at night

I've been having latency issues in the evenings for the past 6-7 weeks.  This issue is currently being tracked down by my ISP.  All the techs that have visited have basically eliminated my home network and equipment from causing the latency and packet loss issues.

I'm posting here because the ISP support is having trouble isolating the cause (suspect it's ingress from other users in my area/cable internet) and I don't want them to start over at the beginning and suggest that I disconnect my Duma.  Frustrating part is the issue is always in the evening hours when local techs are off the clock, so I'm not certain that Comcast is even seeing what I'm seeing.  My modem specs during the time in question are within Comcast's suggested levels.

Can someone on the tech team please remotely access my Duma and run some sort of diagnostic tests and share the results with me?  I have ton's of data (pingplotter, modem specs, tracerts) suggesting the latency issues are on outside Comcast infrastructure and not my home network, but I want some more data to back it up.

I can share any/all information, but I want to do it in a private setting as I have not edited any ip or mac addresses.  I just want to show the engineers that my equipment is not the cause.

Thank you for your time-

• Netduma Staff

Hi Keith - could you please share your tests with us if you have screenshots? It's usually the case that technical support officers from big ISP's like Comcast either over-complicate the issues or blame the other network devices that don't point back to them. In our experience, ISP issues are usually a dodgy modem, an over-subscription to that ISP in your area or a bad line.

First off let's go through your setup and issue. Which model of modem do you have supplied by Comcast? Is your setup Modem > Netduma > All Devices as it should be? Are there any other routers / switches in the mix?

What latency issues are happening specifically? (i.e spikes, jitter, packet loss, increased base ping, sawtooth-pattern ping spikes etc?) We can derive that info from any PingPlotter test you share with us :)

Have you tried another modem? Do the issues happen with the Netduma disconnected?

Hi Keith - could you please share your tests with us if you have screenshots? It's usually the case that technical support officers from big ISP's like Comcast either over-complicate the issues or blame the other network devices that don't point back to them. In our experience, ISP issues are usually a dodgy modem, an over-subscription to that ISP in your area or a bad line.

First off let's go through your setup and issue. Which model of modem do you have supplied by Comcast? Is your setup Modem > Netduma > All Devices as it should be? Are there any other routers / switches in the mix?

What latency issues are happening specifically? (i.e spikes, jitter, packet loss, increased base ping, sawtooth-pattern ping spikes etc?) We can derive that info from any PingPlotter test you share with us :)

Have you tried another modem? Do the issues happen with the Netduma disconnected?

My equipment is SB8200>Duma>devices

I bought my own modem (Comcast leased modems are trash/ have Intel Puma chipset)

Every night, usually starting at 8:30pm est, my ping fluctuates all over the place.  Lasts anywhere from 1-6 hours.  Techs have terminated all my ends on splitters, put a new drop to the tap from my house, and all of my testing has included my previous leased gateway, a replacement comcast gateway, and now my new modem that I purchased.

The following pingplotter charts are with modem>duma; wired only connections.

https://share.pingplotter.com/ZkbWPxqkZHa

https://share.pingplotter.com/EuPs4kbs8yR

Now the latency is bad, but it used to be even worse a few weeks before these recent links.  The techs have been in my area placing filters on homes putting too much ingress back on the line, but it is still not ok in the evening.

I'm going crazy trying to get techs out here while this is happening so they can isolate the noise.  Almost not possible to tell where the noise is coming from if they are not monitoring it while it's happening.  Pulling my hair out knowing they will soon start over and blame my home network.  Posting here to see if a remote session on my duma will provide me information to make sure it isn't my Duma causing these latency spikes-

EDIT:  here is a link to full PingPlotter session.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i4XCEO498vGCInKcIT4nOckQV6eXODn3

Wow! That’s rough mate, it must be really frustrating. It could be that your ISP is majorly over subscribed in your area and there’s not enough bandwidth to go round at peak times.

Put your Comcast modem back in, connect directly to it and run PingPlotter again, that way you can show your ISP that the problem is theirs and nothing to do with your home network.

Wow! That’s rough mate, it must be really frustrating. It could be that your ISP is majorly over subscribed in your area and there’s not enough bandwidth to go round at peak times.

Put your Comcast modem back in, connect directly to it and run PingPlotter again, that way you can show your ISP that the problem is theirs and nothing to do with your home network.

Yeah, I would do that, but then my wife will be upset with me for taking the wi-fi down.

The speeds i pay for (100mb down, 10mb up) are not slowed during these problems, so I don't think it's an overloaded node.  I do think it's noise on the lines.  I'm going to continue to be a pain in the ass with Comcast until they get techs out here during the time it happens.

I do have pingplotter charts that show me testing directly from the modem only, so I already have that ready for Comcast if they come at me.  I couldn't find people reporting ping issues caused by their netduma, but want to eliminate that. 

Yeah, I would do that, but then my wife will be upset with me for taking the wi-fi down.

The speeds i pay for (100mb down, 10mb up) are not slowed during these problems, so I don't think it's an overloaded node.  I do think it's noise on the lines.  I'm going to continue to be a pain in the ass with Comcast until they get techs out here during the time it happens.

I do have pingplotter charts that show me testing directly from the modem only, so I already have that ready for Comcast if they come at me.  I couldn't find people reporting ping issues caused by their netduma, but want to eliminate that.

That’s good that you’ve already got evidence of you testing from the modem to show them, that rules out the Duma 100%, continuing to be a pain in the ass is definitely the best way with problems such as this :) I hope you manage to get it resolved soon though mate.

• Netduma Staff

Yeh the only way to really get through to a big ISP is to complain A LOT. Don't feel like you're being rude about it - persistence is key. With the right PingPlotter tests you should have enough evidence to prove that Comcast are causing the issue.

Either that or you could switch provider - it'll be the Comcast line causing your issues. If that's not on the table then definitely run tests through the modem with nothing else connected to prove the line itself is at fault. Let us know how you get on :)

Update:  After tons of complaining and filing an FCC complaint, I was finally able to get a crew out here to see the noise on my line while it was happening.

I am supposed to have 4 upstream channels; only have 3, and then during peak times, the overload is causing packet loss and upstream is only functioning on 2 channels....

The CMTS needs to be looked at.  Any cable internet users know how long it takes for these types of issues to be repaired at the headend?  

• Administrators

Update:  After tons of complaining and filing an FCC complaint, I was finally able to get a crew out here to see the noise on my line while it was happening.

I am supposed to have 4 upstream channels; only have 3, and then during peak times, the overload is causing packet loss and upstream is only functioning on 2 channels....

The CMTS needs to be looked at.  Any cable internet users know how long it takes for these types of issues to be repaired at the headend?  

Good to hear they're looking into it Keith. Personally have no idea how long it will take them to fix but hopefully it will be asap!

• Netduma Staff

Fixed, and running better than ever! On 4 upstream channels now-

I'm glad that's all sorted Keith, good stuff! Please let us know if you have any more issues or questions, we're happy to help :)