Wired connections continuously disconnecting from XR500 after a few hours

So, I’m having an on-going issue with the XR500.

My setup is:

BT Smart Hub > Ethernet Port 1: XR500 > Xbox One (wired) PC (wired), Ethernet Port 2: TP-Link Archer C7 > 2 Now TV boxes (wired), laptop, Galaxy S8 plus other devices, bandwidth control is on 6 down/2up, DHCP is enabled on both the TP-Link and XR500

Both routers are getting internet access, as I’m connected to the BT Smart Hub, the routers don’t need to be configured for PPPoE to connect my ISP (which is BT) as the BT Smart Hub already does this.

Now this the issue I am getting with the XR500 is, the last few days, If I switch on a wired device such as my Xbox One next morning after being connected the previous night, there is no internet connection going to Xbox One to connect to Xbox Live from the XR500, but If I connect a wireless device to the XR500, it will connected to the internet with no issues and can view websites, the only way I can connect to Xbox Live from the Xbox One is if the XR500 is rebooted.

Now when I’m online connected to the XR500 and in particularly when I’m online with the Xbox One, I’m not getting any disconnections at any point I’m online, it seems that once I switch the Xbox off for a couple of hours then switched it back on I get the issue, but it doesn’t just effect the Xbox, it effects any wired device connected to the XR500, prime example of that is that today after switching the Xbox on and then having to reboot the router to connect to Xbox live, after about an hour online, I decided to go out for a couple of hours (I also left my laptop on which is also connected via Ethernet to the XR500), when I came back and switched the Xbox One on, on the dashboard it prompted me with “Connect to Xbox Live”, in Network Setting and below Current Network Status it said “Not connected, To connect: Plug in an Ethernet Cable or Set up a wireless network”, however my laptop wasn’t also able to connect to the XR500 via Ethernet but would connect wirelessly and was able to access the internet and web management page, it wasn't till I rebooted the XR500 that the Xbox and laptop connected to the XR500 via Ethernet.

Now I’ve done a factory reset of the XR500, updated to the new firmware, even done a factory reset after the new firmware, done another factory reset a day after I was still getting the issue, as the XR500 is connected to the BT Smart Hub (which is a Modem\Router), the XR500 has been given its own static IP address within the BT Smart Hub and is in the DMZ as well but as I’m able to connect to the internet through wirelessly then it can’t be an issue with my set up through the BT Smart Hub, IPv6 is disabled, one last thing to add so it can't be the setup, is that the 2 Now TV boxes that are connected to the TP-Link via Ethernet connections will connect to the internet with no issues when they have been in a state of idle.

• Administrators

Hi Toxic. Could you upgrade to the latest version here:

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24378-new-xr500-dumaos-upgrade-available-v22110/

Then disable IPv6 & factory reset and then continue to monitor to see if you experience it again please

I'm already on the the latest firmware, IPv6 is disabled and I've done a factory reset and still get the same issue, but I'll do another one.

Also as I'm connected to the BT Smart Hub, I don't have to enter any PPPoE info to the XR500 to connect to the internet as I'm already connected, also I have no problems if I connect a device using wireless as the internet will work even if the wired devices don't.

Devices that are wired stop connecting to the XR500 (I've had a different network name appear next morning on the laptop to what it was the previous night when connected to the XR500) and the only fix is to reboot the XR500.

• Administrators

Ok, thanks. This is strange then. Do you have any other wired devices or is this the only one?

Do you have a spare cable you can swap as well?

It would be good if we could rule out any causes.

The only other wired device that's connected to the XR500, is a laptop.

In Windows 10 when the laptop is connected to the XR500, it will show in the Ethernet adaptor in the attached image, when the XR500 then stops responding to any wired devices, the name will in the attachment will then change to the connection of the BT Smart Hub, not only that but in the BT Smart Hub Manager, the laptop will show under devices on the same Ethernet port as the XR500.

I don't think it's a cabling issue as if it was then this would be still happening after a reboot or whilst I'm online.

post-20615-0-93039500-1521931104_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Ok, thanks for the info Toxic. Based on this info it looks like the cause is highly unlikely to be anything in DumaOS. It sounds like it’s either a hardware problem or something in the Netgear settings. Could you contact Netgear’s 24/7 live support here and they will hopefully be able to diagnose the problem for you:

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

I think I might have fixed the issue, woke up to the same problem this morning, don't know what made me to this but went into Setting > Advanced Settings > VLAN/Bridge Settings, checked Enable VLAN/Bridge group and choose By bridge group and choose the port XR500 was connected to the BT Smart Hub (assuming that's what it meant), applied the setting and the internet's come back on both the Xbox and laptop, will monitor it over the next 24-48 hours to see if it works

please ignore still not sorted

• Administrators

I think I might have fixed the issue, woke up to the same problem this morning, don't know what made me to this but went into Setting > Advanced Settings > VLAN/Bridge Settings, checked Enable VLAN/Bridge group and choose By bridge group and choose the port XR500 was connected to the BT Smart Hub (assuming that's what it meant), applied the setting and the internet's come back on both the Xbox and laptop, will monitor it over the next 24-48 hours to see if it works

please ignore still not sorted

Have you contacted Netgear Support as suggested above?

I've has a response from Netgear and it was

"Going back to the reason of your contact,I do understand how frustrating it was for you to deal the intermittent connection on your hardwired devices.We do apologized for the inconvenience this has caused you.Rest assured that we will get this done.

As of now I do suggest to change the MTU size. You may refer to this link:https://kb.netgear.com/24015/How-do-I-change-the-MTU-size-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Hope this will help you out."

Is there a chance that there could be an issue of the lan ports when going idle failing to "wake up" unless the XR500 is rebooted?