From 14ms to 143ms ping, "Open NAT", yet "yellow bar-ing" in Cod WWII on PSN

I have had the Netduma R1 basically since its launch and loved it, never had issues so because of that fact, I purchased the XR500 as soon as it became available to purchase via Amazon.com. The problem that I'm having is, multiple times throughout my daily 2 hour long gaming sessions on CoD WWII I will have a match that ranges from a 14ms ping to a 23ms ping and then out of nowhere my ping skyrockets as high as 143ms and I'm lagging and yellow bar-ing. All with an "Open NAT type" and on dedicated servers. This has been going on for about a week after I received and setup the router itself but has occurred more frequently, bringing me to the point of writing this. I will say that my internet connection as a whole as well as gaming is phenomenal until the issue occurs. The XR500 is setup to have my PS4 in DMZ, UpNp is disabled, as well as port forwarding and port triggering. I have tried all of the above options individually eg: only UpNp enabled, only port forwarding enabled, only port triggering enabled and obviously, only DMZ enabled. Tomorrow after work, I will be setting up my R1 to see if the problem persists however, this issue had never been an issue using the R1.

• Administrators

Hi Rick - welcome to the forum and thanks for being both an R1 and XR500 user. 

I assume you are playing wired (correct me if I’m wrong) and your NAT is open, my thinking is one of these three things is the cause:

1. You occasionally have congestion, so your QoS Settings need to be optimised
  2. You have a problem on your Internet line
  3. A WWII dedicated server is playing inconsistently for you

So to check each, could you:

1. set your Anti-Bufferbloat to 70%/70% and to ‘Always’ or ‘High Priority. Make sure there are no manually added rules in Traffic Prioritization and that DumaOS Classified Games is checked
  2. Check your Internet line is ok by following this guide: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/?hl=pingplotter
  3. 3. Whenever the spike occurs, look at the Geo-Filter ping panel. What’s the ID and domain name of the server?

I think of the three, the last is the most likely cause (a bad server), so let us know how you get on and hopefully we can isolate the problem. 

Thanks

I appreciate the fast response! With "Always" enabled, anti-bufferbloat is set to 70%/70% also, using the automatic setup, my download speeds are around 110Mbps down and 12Mbps up, but I have manually entered 100 Mbps down and 10Mbps up with "Goodput" still enabled, and set device prioritization to 55% for both upload and download for my PS4. Once I get home I will download ping plotter. Oddly enough, the server I have noticed the issue with the most is also the server I have had the best connections on, it is also the closest server to me. I'll also get the server domain name and ID as well, thanks again for your help!!

I'm not sure if the picture is going to display properly but I'm new to this so please bare with me. I installed Ping Plotter and ran mutiple tests both with ipv6 enabled and without, the attached screenshot is with ipv4 only and shows the type of ping spike that I described in my first post.  

• Netduma Staff

Ping Plotter-Modem Only https://imgur.com/a/d8fW5

This Ping-Plotter test definitely proves that there are multiple major issues on your line. You've got bad packet loss indicated by those red bars on the bottom graph, as well as varying ping spikes. Your ping also seemed to rise dramatically towards the end of the test and remain there - did you begin a download or notice anything different when that happened?

These issues might be related to your modem itself, in which case I'd recommend looking up some better alternatives that are compatible with your ISP. It could also be an ISP line issue, in which case I'd recommend conducting more Ping-Plotter tests to collect evidence to show your ISP engineer.