XR500 Duma OS features Clarification

Love the power of the new router coupled with the Duma OS interface. I had the "R-App not loading" issue at startup, but the initial reset fixed it. No issue since.

I am however noticing some changes to the software functionality, in addition to some nice new features and much improved design (e.g., customizable dashboard is a godsend).  

- Am I correct that the ping assist seems to have been removed from the Geo-filter?  I found ping assist even more valuable than the distance restriction in that I could filter by my own ping to the host regardless of where it is.  "Close" games do not always equate to low ping or stable ping games for a variety of reasons.  Strange to remove this feature that exists and functions quite well on the existing Duma R1

- I also have not been able to use the Deny/Allow feature.  I can select an icon on the map and see the associated statistics.  However, even in the case of a player (rather than a dedicated server), the button to allow/prefer is not highlighted. Am I missing something?

- There is a rule listed in the Traffic Prioritization section called Duma OS Classified Games set for "All Devices".  I did not add this entry.  Can someone explain what this rule entails?  Is it just a general rule for all game related traffic on ANY device?  If this is "enabled", will my xbox traffic not be guaranteed priority above other gaming devices/apps?

- Lastly, the new traffic monitoring layout is great.  However, on the R1, you are able to get a closer look at the specific ports that traffic is passing over on a device rather than just the traffic type (VOIP, web, etc.).  I found that very useful analysis for understanding what ports the present game utilized most.  Was there a particular reason for removing this feature?

I appreciate any insight on these issues. Congrats again on the partnership!

• Administrators

Hi Scrizzy,

Thanks for the postive feedback really appreciate it. So firstly DumaOS was specifically designed to allow us to easily add features. We took some features out to improve usability. But as we the feedback from you guys we can bring back popular features and of course new ones!

So let's address your issues:

- we removed it but very easy to bring back. We'll aim to get it back. We'll put it in the advanced men of the Geo-Filter so it doesn't confuse noobs. Try get it into next firmware which is scheduled for late Jan

- you should be able to allow/deny non dedicated servers. We'll bring back temp ban for next firmware in advanced menu again

- this is to maks traffic prio behave like plug n play. It has all major PC games automatically priotised. And of course xbox and PS are automatically priotised. You can confirm by looking high priority traffic packets increasing while you play.

- On the R1 we did that because the DPI wasn't advanced enough to detect most traffic. We are now so we show the application not the ports.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Iain for the quick response and feedback. I was an early R1 adopter and Netduma has had hands down the best customer support I have ever seen or experienced.  Companies 10 times as large could learn a thing or two from your efforts and hands on approach to engaging your community here on the forums.

I look forward to seeing the return of Ping Assist.

Still having trouble Allowing and Denying in the geofilter.  I see the buttons, but they are not highlighted with an option to select them.  "Autoping host" does not seem to activate automatically for some reason either.  I have to manually pick the host to initiate the ping display.  I will continue monitoring and report back.  I don't know if others are having the same issues.

As someone who enjoys tinkering with every nuance to find those sweet spots for my particular setup, as well as just understanding and monitoring the finer points of what is going on with my network and gaming, I do enjoy having the option to dive deeper into the settings and features.  I must say, the automatic settings (for noobs or not) gave me a great experience, which is rare for me with any autoconfiguration options.  So great job with whatever new voodoo is happening behind the scenes there! :)

However, I would like the option of seeing the ports being used in the network monitoring for example, since I know that the ability already existed.  This can help with knowing what specific ports might warrant forwarding or what to target for manual hyper-traffic prioritization for a particular game.  I play the Division a lot and it is notorious for having some odd netcode/traffic and port usage [e.g., TCP rather than UDP for significant multiplayer game traffic according to Battle(Non)sense], so the standard COD approach to the Duma setup does not seem to apply.  I found it required some different settings to get the best connection.

I do not know what ports the Duma OS Classified traffic prioritization includes.  How would I know if the necessary ports for The Division are included for example?  It seems like most traffic from my console is getting the High Priority treatment from what I can see.  But does that mean giving party chat the same priority as game traffic?  Or Background server updates (stat tracking, etc.)?  My experience with the R1 was that my hit registration and lag in some games was best when I could isolate only particular ports for the Hyperlane.  So, 1) Seeing the relative port traffic for each game on Network monitoring might give a better sense of what is being used from game to game, and 2) a tutorial on proper configuration of the Advanced settings in Traffic Prioritization would clarify exactly how to set it up for the particular preferences of advanced users who wish to experiment.  I see that it has changed from the "Hypertraffic" settings layout on the R1 and I'd like to make sure that I am doing it correctly for my needs.

Again, thanks a lot.  Awesome work! 

• Administrators

Hi Scrizzy,

That is awesome to hear, thank you!

If the server is marked as a dedicated server (it will say so) then the allow / deny buttons will be greyed out. It’s similar to the R1 in that respect.

Auto Ping host will ping basically when you’re loading into the game, so if you’ve been expecting it before hand that will be why you think it may not be working correctly.

The Network Monitor request is certainly something that we could implement.

It uses a mix of DPI and ports. So PC games it will utilise DPI exclusively and consoles is based on ports. What platform are you playing the division on? Yes all traffic will be prioritised on the console, big downloads of games etc shouldn’t be however as it won’t be included in the rule. We can certainly do a tutorial for selecting your own ports for example, however in most cases that requires the user to look up what the game uses (is available on the game website usually)

After updating to the new firmware, the Allow/Deny option is now working.

I play the Division on Xbox One.

The Port Forwarding guide from Ubisoft suggests, 

Game ports:

TCP 80, 443, 27015, 51000, 55000 to 55999, 56000 to 56999 
UDP 33000 to 33499

Xbox Live ports
TCP: 53, 80, 3074
UDP: 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500

When monitoring the game on the R1, I saw most of the traffic over port 55000 and 3074 to a lesser extent.  But I experience strange lag (warping and rubber banding of other players and bad hit detection) in comparison to friends who have no clue about network settings and have never configured anything on their 20 dollar routers. I also tend to experience it worse when in party chat (particularly with multiple people), despite having 1 gig Fios Fiber internet, so it isn't a bandwith issue, and the geofilter usually shows me with less than 20ms pings to the game servers..   

I'd love to tinker with prioritizing only a few specific ports listed above and see if it helps with lag and hit registration (which is generally horrible for me in this game)

Thanks!

• Administrators

Thanks Iain for the quick response and feedback. I was an early R1 adopter and Netduma has had hands down the best customer support I have ever seen or experienced.  Companies 10 times as large could learn a thing or two from your efforts and hands on approach to engaging your community here on the forums.

I look forward to seeing the return of Ping Assist.

Still having trouble Allowing and Denying in the geofilter.  I see the buttons, but they are not highlighted with an option to select them.  "Autoping host" does not seem to activate automatically for some reason either.  I have to manually pick the host to initiate the ping display.  I will continue monitoring and report back.  I don't know if others are having the same issues.

As someone who enjoys tinkering with every nuance to find those sweet spots for my particular setup, as well as just understanding and monitoring the finer points of what is going on with my network and gaming, I do enjoy having the option to dive deeper into the settings and features.  I must say, the automatic settings (for noobs or not) gave me a great experience, which is rare for me with any autoconfiguration options.  So great job with whatever new voodoo is happening behind the scenes there! :)

However, I would like the option of seeing the ports being used in the network monitoring for example, since I know that the ability already existed.  This can help with knowing what specific ports might warrant forwarding or what to target for manual hyper-traffic prioritization for a particular game.  I play the Division a lot and it is notorious for having some odd netcode/traffic and port usage [e.g., TCP rather than UDP for significant multiplayer game traffic according to Battle(Non)sense], so the standard COD approach to the Duma setup does not seem to apply.  I found it required some different settings to get the best connection.

I do not know what ports the Duma OS Classified traffic prioritization includes.  How would I know if the necessary ports for The Division are included for example?  It seems like most traffic from my console is getting the High Priority treatment from what I can see.  But does that mean giving party chat the same priority as game traffic?  Or Background server updates (stat tracking, etc.)?  My experience with the R1 was that my hit registration and lag in some games was best when I could isolate only particular ports for the Hyperlane.  So, 1) Seeing the relative port traffic for each game on Network monitoring might give a better sense of what is being used from game to game, and 2) a tutorial on proper configuration of the Advanced settings in Traffic Prioritization would clarify exactly how to set it up for the particular preferences of advanced users who wish to experiment.  I see that it has changed from the "Hypertraffic" settings layout on the R1 and I'd like to make sure that I am doing it correctly for my needs.

Again, thanks a lot.  Awesome work! 

Hey Scrizzy, seems like Fraser has answered your questions well. I'll respond with any extra info I have:

• Thanks for the kind words about support.
  • Ping assist definitely seems popular so we'll prioritise its return
  • When you don't have the option to allow/deny what is the host classified as? It should say dedicated server or peer. When it's peer you should be allowed to allow & deny
  • The auto-ping as been pretty well tested. Are you testing on Chrome? Also what game are you playing? Finally autoping only starts after you play a game. It won't ping matchmaking servers or anything like that
  • Glad you're enjoying the automatic settings, I'd highly recommend upgrading to latest version if you haven't done so already. It improves with usability, here is a link: https://kb.netgear.com/000053269/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-1-0-4
  • For console we prioritise all game and voice traffic. Background downloads/uploads will not be part of the prioritisation. To be specific consoles are easy to prioritise as all UDP traffic above 1024 must be either game or voice traffic. So console prioritisation rule is ports 1024-65535. You can tell if it's working because the High Traffic Prio feedback panel will show high priority packets increasing while you play
  • If you wish in high priority traffic section you can after selecting a device you can select the advanced section which allows port selection for a device
  • Finally I'll look into allowing the user to see port info for traffic in the network monitor

Hope that helps :)

• Administrators

After updating to the new firmware, the Allow/Deny option is now working.

I play the Division on Xbox One.

The Port Forwarding guide from Ubisoft suggests, 

Game ports:

TCP 80, 443, 27015, 51000, 55000 to 55999, 56000 to 56999 

UDP 33000 to 33499

Xbox Live ports

TCP: 53, 80, 3074

UDP: 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500

When monitoring the game on the R1, I saw most of the traffic over port 55000 and 3074 to a lesser extent.  But I experience strange lag (warping and rubber banding of other players and bad hit detection) in comparison to friends who have no clue about network settings and have never configured anything on their 20 dollar routers. I also tend to experience it worse when in party chat (particularly with multiple people), despite having 1 gig Fios Fiber internet, so it isn't a bandwith issue, and the geofilter usually shows me with less than 20ms pings to the game servers..   

I'd love to tinker with prioritizing only a few specific ports listed above and see if it helps with lag and hit registration (which is generally horrible for me in this game)

Thanks!

Hi Scrizzy,

If you'd like to have specfic ports I'd suggest you do:

• Disable DumaOS classified games in traffic prio
  • See my second last point in last post which explains how to set port range for your console

Does that help?

Hi Scrizzy,

If you'd like to have specfic ports I'd suggest you do:

• Disable DumaOS classified games in traffic prio
  • See my second last point in last post which explains how to set port range for your console

Does that help?

Despite good ping to the game server, I still get odd hiccups and rubber banding, regardless of whether I use Duma OS classified games rule or my own custom rule for prioritization..

Interestingly, as I monitor the device traffic when playing The Division, the majority of traffic is under the category "VOIP" and the application breakdown says "Skype".  However, I am not in a party and game chat via VOIP is disabled.  Is that strange?  Why is the traffic showing up as VOIP?

This is one of the reasons I was hoping for port and protocol breakdown rather than these category types.  Clearly "Skype" must reflect some more general protocol in use because I do not even have that application installed and was not using any VOIP at the time.  Any thoughts?? 

• Administrators

1. When you are playing your game, does the High Priority Traffic Detected light appear in Traffic Prioritization? By default, the DumaOS Classified Games will not prioritise Skype, so you can be assured it will only prioritise your game.

2. Also, what are your anti-bufferbloat settings? What % do you have them set to and which mode e.g. Always?

3. Which device is showing the VOIP/Skype protocol? Is it the same as the device you are playing The Division e.g. your gaming PC?