Just got netduma. Lag worse after setting up

Hello,

I just received my net duma today. I followed all set up instructions, did the tutorials and even set the recommended optimal settings.

Then I fired up my ps4 to try a game of COD WW2. At first I thought it seems really fast but then I started to yellow bar periodically and literally jump lag back in time! (never usually happens) 

I have a DSL service provided by Centurylink and pay for 25mb service (sadly fastest available in my area). My modem is a centurylink c2000t router/modem combo in which I only have the dsl line going into and then thats connected by WAN to the Netduma poe. All other devices are plugged into Duma.

I have a moderate nat type still even after DMZing my ps4 using the WAN ip address from my Duma device manager page. Im thinking maybe it just shows moderate in game because of the geo filters being on? Or should it say open even when filters in use? I have always had an open nat type prior to Netduma install.

The internet diagnostic test says good, excellent, excellent, no loss

But, actually I just ran the ping test again right now and it reads good, good, ok, no loss  and a 2nd try said poor, terrible, terrible loss, 5

Please help me understand what I may be doing wrong. Are there certain settings or specific things I need to do given my isp box is a router/modem combo and Duma being a router itself?

Thank you and I look forward to lag free gameplay someday

Have you bridged the ISP hub (or put it in 'modem mode')?

Or disabled the wifi on the ISP hub and make sure no other devices are wired to that ISP hub either?

You will probably need to screenshot your settings so that we can make sure that you have everything set up correctly.

The differences in the network diagnostics 'excellent', 'poor', 'terrible', suggests an issue with your line (an ISP issue outside of your control).

I would suggest running some tests on your line, direct from your modem, while nobody is using your network, to check the general health of your line.

I recommend some free software called Ping Plotter. But you can just run some pings through your Windows command prompt (or Mac Terminal) if you want to test that way.

I have not bridged my isp router/modem. I do not know what half of the setting in there even do or mean.  :mellow:

I went in to look but I did not see anything that said modem mode or bridge but I assume its something that is actually labeled one way but called bridging or modem mode. correct?

I clicked on my broadband tab and it says my:

Wan is ADSL2+Bonding 

Line mode is ADSL2+

Transportmode is ATM-LLC Bridged

MTU-1500

ATM parameter is 8/35 ubr without pcr

What all that means.... I have no clue lol

Under modem status it reads:

Downstream rate 29.3 mbps

Upstream 2.2mbps

ISP Protocol DHCP

I ran ping plotter and did not spike above 35 while hardwired into the Netduma.

• Netduma Staff

I have not bridged my isp router/modem. I do not know what half of the setting in there even do or mean.  :mellow:

I went in to look but I did not see anything that said modem mode or bridge but I assume its something that is actually labeled one way but called bridging or modem mode. correct?

I clicked on my broadband tab and it says my:

Wan is ADSL2+Bonding 

Line mode is ADSL2+

Transportmode is ATM-LLC Bridged

MTU-1500

ATM parameter is 8/35 ubr without pcr

What all that means.... I have no clue lol

Under modem status it reads:

Downstream rate 29.3 mbps

Upstream 2.2mbps

ISP Protocol DHCP

I ran ping plotter and did not spike above 35 while hardwired into the Netduma.

Hi, welcome to the forum! For instances where you're trying to mitigate lag in games, and you've got bad results from the Netduma Internet Diagnostics, I'd recommend gathering as much evidence via Pingplotter as possible and posting some screenshots here. (The easiest way to post screenshots is to upload those to a site like Imgur and post a link).

We could take a look at those results and let you know the next steps or what's happening. I imagine that while you're not having necessarily high ping spikes, you're getting quite a lot of fluctuation. This will cause the connection to feel laggy despite the ping staying below 35ms.

As ColonicBoom said, I'd recommend turning off WiFi on the modem. You can do this via the Wireless Setup tab on the Centurylink interface. Let us know how you get on :)