No Internet

Hey guys,

My Netduma just arrived today, but I can't gt it working. Nothing fancy about my setup. Cat5 from my modem to the netduma, Cat5 out to my pc.

I'm getting limited network on my PC.

Modem is an Alcatel-Lucent?

Cheers

• Netduma Staff

Can you make sure that you haven't set a Static IP on the PC - the limited internet network error is usually caused by this.

Can you also check your modem is connected to port 1 (PoE) of the Netduma.

• Administrators

It sounds like a static IP, I think Crossy has just made an article on how to do this. What are you using? Windows, Mac, iPad, etc? Thanks

• Netduma Staff

I think its windows as thats the OS that you get that error on  :)

I haven't done a guide for Windows yet so for now if you follow this one and make sure you have everything set up as it describes.

I'm not sure if I follow what is being done there. How do I know if I have a static ip? Ipv4 and ipv6 are setup as obtain an ip address automatically.

Does that help?

And yes, I'm on PC. But eventually I want to hook up my systems as well.

• Netduma Staff

I'm not sure if I follow what is being done there. How do I know if I have a static ip? Ipv4 and ipv6 are setup as obtain an ip address automatically.

Does that help?

And yes, I'm on PC. But eventually I want to hook up my systems as well.

Ok, that means your not on a  Static IP if they are set up to obtain automatically. Could you go to a command prompt and type 'ipconfig' and then paste the output here please.

• Netduma Staff

No number after WAN IP. all ipv6 has been disabled.

Ok, thats the issue then. Can you do the following:

1. Turn off Netduma and your modem.
  2. Leave off for 1 min.
  3. Switch modem back on.
  4. Wait 30 seconds
  5. Switch Netduma on
  6. Wait 30 seconds
  7. try to access the internet.

Let us know how that goes :)

Long shot do you have another Ethernet cable you could try instead of the red one that came with the netduma by any chance to rule out a dodgy cable.

No number after WAN ID. I'm not actually using the cable it came with as the fit between my modem and it's battery pack (neither of which I can move) are too tight aND I can't fit the red cable in.

Could that be an issue? Seems a long shot since the other cable works wih my old router.

• Netduma Staff

No number after WAN ID. I'm not actually using the cable it came with as the fit between my modem and it's battery pack (neither of which I can move) are too tight aND I can't fit the red cable in.

Could that be an issue? Seems a long shot since the other cable works wih my old router.

It looks like your not being assigned an IP address. Could you try going to Settings >> WAN and setting a static IP? The details you enter there should be this:

IP Address: 192.168.*.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway IP:

Primary DNS:

Secondary DNS:

* = the number corresponding number off the gateway IP

Let us know if I've made that too confusing or you need help doing it :)

If once you've done that and it doesn't work - try restarting the Netduma from Settings >> Miscalls and pressing 'Reboot Router'. Doing it this way means that you won't lose the settings you've just changed.

EDIT:

After re-reading your post it looks like you are connected to a modem not a router? If you are, which modem make is it :)

Sounds like a tight squeeze it would be better not to have it set up like that do you have any other long cables say so not to cause them to pull

I see it happen a lot they have small copper teeth and sometimes the do not make connection fully with the lan port , sometimes not lining up correctly.

I'm wondering if it's how my IP sets up their network. I have fibre op, and it also runs my TV (so no matter what, I need the other router connected). I was going to do NetDuma >>> Other Router (and then throttle the TV as much as possible, as well as allowing folks to use the Other router's wireless). For the moment I've hooked the NetDuma up to the other router, and it's working, but my bandwidth is pretty throttled. Still 30/30, but not the normal 80/50.

Anyway, I'll play around with it, and see what else I can come up with. 

I may be back :) 

But honestly, thanks so much for all your help!

• Netduma Staff

I'm wondering if it's how my IP sets up their network. I have fibre op, and it also runs my TV (so no matter what, I need the other router connected). I was going to do NetDuma >>> Other Router (and then throttle the TV as much as possible, as well as allowing folks to use the Other router's wireless). For the moment I've hooked the NetDuma up to the other router, and it's working, but my bandwidth is pretty throttled. Still 30/30, but not the normal 80/50.

Anyway, I'll play around with it, and see what else I can come up with. 

I may be back :)

But honestly, thanks so much for all your help!

No worries :) If your having speed issues - take a look at this - it should get them up. You also might benefit from taking a look at the fine tuning guide but thats up to you.

if you need that router in your set up its is better to go wall /modem/ router /duma

Iain is working on a new firmware that allows bandwidth control on separate devices so you will not need that other router to throttle the tv :)

Archived