Netduma Being Flaky AF

Had a service interruption which resulted in the Netduma being completely unresponsive. Did a reset on the back and router lost SID and neither the password previously set nor the default worked.

Got in via hard wired however now when I'm attempting to rename devices e.g. phone or tablet, the damn thing won't take it, it just flips back to General Purpose. What the hell? This router can be flaky as fuck. I try to get the router to update the bandwidth speeds on its own, never works. Try to get it to do an Internet DIagnostic, its sits there forever, never coming back with results.

This is the router software version out of the box. R1 debug version 1.03.6h running on rb-951g-2hnd .

Is this thing just a piece of sh-- or is there a more stable version of the OS. #notworththemoney

oh and after the reset.. can't get download speeds greater than 4mbs...  plug directly into the uverse router and 29mbs. factory resetting again.

Did a reset on the back and router lost SID

Got in via hard wired however now when I'm attempting to rename devices e.g. phone or tablet, the damn thing won't take it, it just flips back to General Purpose.

I try to get the router to update the bandwidth speeds on its own, never works.

Try to get it to do an Internet DIagnostic, its sits there forever, never coming back with results.

Is this thing just a piece of sh-- or is there a more stable version of the OS. #notworththemoney

A factory reset does tend to make routers lose the settings you put in. That's the point.

Don't factory reset with the button on the back except as a last resort, use the 'reset' option in the settings menu.

You'll need to provide a screenshot regarding this second point, not sure what you're doing, I've never heard of anyone having this problem before.

The router doesn't have an automatic bandwidth detection, you have to input your bandwidth manually.

I expect your Internet Diagnostics isn't working because of your setup. When you start to run it you disconnect, then you'll connect to the wifi on your ISP hub.

I'm only guessing because you've not provided much (any) information about your setup/settings (screenshots would be helpful).

No, it's not a p.o.s. #usererror #readthewiki

I normally would do a reset from within the settings but the router was not responding. So I didn't have any other choice. However after doing so, I attempted to connected via wireless to the Netduma, however the default (per the quick start guide which states use serial numbers didn't work). So reconnected via hard wire, and got in.

So, just to be clean, I did another factory reset from the gui. And I'm back in now. And no, not connecting to ISP hub via wireless because its disabled. To clarify when I attempted to click update bandwidth after the first reset (after entering in my settings, no response). Same for editing the wireless devices when the Netduma wireless was back up and running.

As per Internet Diagnostics, it has never come back with a result even when I first set this router up. Its sits there with the vertical bars... but nothing. And that's with just a hard wire laptop connected and no wireless connected.

So now I am at factory reset. Settings are below. This is not unlike how it was when I first unboxed it.

For reference, Netduma plugged into first port on back of u-verse router and other end into POE port. On ATT router, wi-fi disabled and set to pass through. I'm going to double check the ATT u-verse settings next, they should not have changed.

post-17308-0-78889300-1504398273_thumb.png

post-17308-0-79004700-1504398275_thumb.png

post-17308-0-98882300-1504398276_thumb.png

post-17308-0-56810400-1504398279_thumb.png

post-17308-0-95516000-1504398368_thumb.png

post-17308-0-46178000-1504398507_thumb.png

Checked the ATT router and the config is the same, (its a PACE 5031NV) and the Netduma is in the DMZplus mode with everything enabled less NetBios and all firewall on the PACE is disabled e.g. all attack detection.

This is the closest ATT has to bridge mode on their PACE and that which is recommended for a bridge setting.

And since I have some networking background... and the router has been flaky since I received it, my Google router works fabulously with the same settings, I'm thinking #notusererror

post-17308-0-24492600-1504399208_thumb.png

post-17308-0-18487800-1504399209_thumb.png

post-17308-0-35033900-1504399358_thumb.png

Use Chrome, turn off adblockers, virus scans, malware blockers, etc...

After making changes, reboot from the button in misc settings, this will force the router to save your settings.

After a factory reset your wifi password changes to netdumar1

Make sure to 'Enable Cookies' too or settings won't save.

Edited by ColonicBoom
cookies

Use Chrome, turn off adblockers, virus scans, malware blockers, etc...

After making changes reboot from the button in misc settings, this will force the router to save your settings.

After a factory reset your wifi password changes to netdumar1

using a mac, not a pc, so nothing like that is running. yeah, figured out the netdumar1 after the router prompted when doing the reset.

A factory reset does tend to make routers lose the settings you put in. That's the point.

Don't factory reset with the button on the back except as a last resort, use the 'reset' option in the settings menu.

You'll need to provide a screenshot regarding this second point, not sure what you're doing, I've never heard of anyone having this problem before.

The router doesn't have an automatic bandwidth detection, you have to input your bandwidth manually.

I expect your Internet Diagnostics isn't working because of your setup. When you start to run it you disconnect, then you'll connect to the wifi on your ISP hub.

I'm only guessing because you've not provided much (any) information about your setup/settings (screenshots would be helpful).

No, it's not a p.o.s. #usererror #readthewiki

didn't know about the quote thing. anyway, long story short, I've even taken it out of dmzplus mode... so everything is still in pass through but no dmz plus. can get to the Internet fine, but the speeds are still crap at factory settings compared to a laptop plugged into the hub.

and now the last check, just set to non-gaming, disabled bleeding edge... re-ran speed tests, can't get above 4mbs.

I guess this was a bad weekend to try this thing again. I'm thinking I'm going back to the google router and returning this. Too much work. Thanks all for replies.

and now the last check, just set to non-gaming, disabled bleeding edge... re-ran speed tests, can't get above 4mbs.

I guess this was a bad weekend to try this thing again. I'm thinking I'm going back to the google router and returning this. Too much work. Thanks all for replies.

I suggest you read through the faq and wiki

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022366-why-is-my-connection-speed-lower-

I read that before I purchased the Netduma... I read through most of the setup material before I even bought one so I'd have a bit of comfort when it arrived. But thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

• Netduma Staff

I read that before I purchased the Netduma... I read through most of the setup material before I even bought one so I'd have a bit of comfort when it arrived. But thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Hi, welcome to the forum. If you're within your 14 days you can return it if you wish, though it's worth noting that these issues are rare and most of our users are able to use the router as intended. I'm confident we could get rid of these problems if you'd want that :)

First off, could you try out these settings:

- 1000km Distance
- 0 Ping Assist
- Strict Mode On (Off if playing Destiny)
- If your speeds are less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood
- Put your console in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Enable UPnP and remove any Port Forwarding rules
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Disable IPv6 in misc, LAN and WAN
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.

As for your Internet Diagnosis not working, that can be a browser issue. If you're using Chrome, try following this link to clear your cache: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?hl=en-GB&visit_id=1-636400383173634711-2713604989&rd=1

That solution has worked for people with that issue previously. Likewise, you could try Firefox. This issue is either caused by the browser or a lack of Internet access, so I'm confident switching browsers would solve it.

I'll leave it at that for now - that's probably the best setup you can use. If you're more interested in gaming than connection speeds, set your Anti-flood sliders to 70%. Please let us know if that irons out any issues.

It's weird. Network diagnostic always ran fine on any device for me, but then it stopped working on the PS4 while it would still give me results if I tested from a phone or laptop; tests on the PS4 would just keep running ad infinitum and ultimately lock me out of the internet on all devices, forcing me to pull out the power cable since I wouldn't be able to access the reboot button on the GUI.

It works flawlessly on all devices again though. I ran a test on the PS4 browser just last night, but I've never been unable to finish the test on my mobile browser. Perhaps consider keeping 192.168.88.1 as a bookmark on your phone browser as I do so you can test from there. Results will always be consistent between devices because the test takes place on your router and the results are presumably relayed to whichever device you're using (even if you're on a phone while hooked up to Wi-Fi), rather than testing through the device itself like a mobile app Speedtest for example.

Little bugs like this (or bigger ones like hyper lane + port forwarding + geofilter causing awful GUI lag) are annoying but there are always workarounds. If we didn't have the new Duma OS coming out soon I probably wouldn't be so forgiving lol; let's hope these issues aren't so prevalent when that time comes.

In the mean time I hope you find my suggestion useful; it's served me well for a while now.

As far as fluctuating bandwidth goes... I'm not sure what to suggest short of making sure everything is behind the Netduma and not a modem or another router, making sure IPv6 is off in WAN/LAN/miscellaneous, setting to 100/100 reactive and hitting reset on device prioritisation (leave share excess TICKED), enabling turbo mode if it applies to you and then running a test again.

I've never had any speed drops with my 50/10 line either through the Netduma or otherwise, as I always receive my guaranteed minimum, so the only time I see lower bandwidth on tests is when I'm responsible for that by reducing my bandwidth sliders. Does it improve after a reset of your modem? Have you tried new cables assuming your current ones haven't already been tested? Sorry I can't help more as I've never experienced this particular issue!

Hi, welcome to the forum. If you're within your 14 days you can return it if you wish, though it's worth noting that these issues are rare and most of our users are able to use the router as intended. I'm confident we could get rid of these problems if you'd want that  :)

First off, could you try out these settings:

- 1000km Distance

- 0 Ping Assist

- Strict Mode On (Off if playing Destiny)

- If your speeds are less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm

- 100% anti-flood

- Put your console in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)

- Share excess enabled

- Reset device prioritisation & apply

- Enable UPnP and remove any Port Forwarding rules

- Disable deep packet in misc

- Disable IPv6 in misc, LAN and WAN

- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps

- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps

- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.

As for your Internet Diagnosis not working, that can be a browser issue. If you're using Chrome, try following this link to clear your cache: https://support.goog...2713604989&rd=1

That solution has worked for people with that issue previously. Likewise, you could try Firefox. This issue is either caused by the browser or a lack of Internet access, so I'm confident switching browsers would solve it.

I'll leave it at that for now - that's probably the best setup you can use. If you're more interested in gaming than connection speeds, set your Anti-flood sliders to 70%. Please let us know if that irons out any issues.

Actually I have every one of those settings less host filtering as its disabled and I wasn't gaming during trouble shooting.

I will try Chrome though thanks. That said plugged in a Google router and voila, with the Netduma disconnected it makes a nice night light.

Thanks for the reply.

It's weird. Network diagnostic always ran fine on any device for me, but then it stopped working on the PS4 while it would still give me results if I tested from a phone or laptop; tests on the PS4 would just keep running ad infinitum and ultimately lock me out of the internet on all devices, forcing me to pull out the power cable since I wouldn't be able to access the reboot button on the GUI.

It works flawlessly on all devices again though. I ran a test on the PS4 browser just last night, but I've never been unable to finish the test on my mobile browser. Perhaps consider keeping 192.168.88.1 as a bookmark on your phone browser as I do so you can test from there. Results will always be consistent between devices because the test takes place on your router and the results are presumably relayed to whichever device you're using (even if you're on a phone while hooked up to Wi-Fi), rather than testing through the device itself like a mobile app Speedtest for example.

Little bugs like this (or bigger ones like hyper lane + port forwarding + geofilter causing awful GUI lag) are annoying but there are always workarounds. If we didn't have the new Duma OS coming out soon I probably wouldn't be so forgiving lol; let's hope these issues aren't so prevalent when that time comes.

In the mean time I hope you find my suggestion useful; it's served me well for a while now.

As far as fluctuating bandwidth goes... I'm not sure what to suggest short of making sure everything is behind the Netduma and not a modem or another router, making sure IPv6 is off in WAN/LAN/miscellaneous, setting to 100/100 reactive and hitting reset on device prioritisation (leave share excess TICKED), enabling turbo mode if it applies to you and then running a test again.

I've never had any speed drops with my 50/10 line either through the Netduma or otherwise, as I always receive my guaranteed minimum, so the only time I see lower bandwidth on tests is when I'm responsible for that by reducing my bandwidth sliders. Does it improve after a reset of your modem? Have you tried new cables assuming your current ones haven't already been tested? Sorry I can't help more as I've never experienced this particular issue!

Generally I find the product flaky at best but I will try the phone browser for the Internet diag. Thanks for the reply!

• Netduma Staff

I just tidied up the formatting on your responses, hope you don't mind. Did you try another speed test using the settings I suggested? If so, did you notice an improvement? If you still wanted to use the Netduma then we can help you maximise its potential. You should definitely be able to get the speeds you pay for. Could you let us know your setup?

• 3 weeks later...

I just tidied up the formatting on your responses, hope you don't mind. Did you try another speed test using the settings I suggested? If so, did you notice an improvement? If you still wanted to use the Netduma then we can help you maximise its potential. You should definitely be able to get the speeds you pay for. Could you let us know your setup?

Actually, if you read the response from September 3rd... "Actually I have every one of those settings less host filtering as its disabled and I wasn't gaming during troubleshooting."

The most recent responses around September 3rd were relatively simple sentences, I'm not sure they needed tidying. 

Actually, if you read the response from September 3rd... "Actually I have every one of those settings less host filtering as its disabled and I wasn't gaming during troubleshooting."

The most recent responses around September 3rd were relatively simple sentences, I'm not sure they needed tidying.

• Netduma Staff

And we can close this thread, I switched over to the Google wi-fi router exclusively and no issues since.

I always let people know whenever I edit posts; I likely would have just grouped a couple together, nothing major :)

I'll lock this thread at your request. Please let us know if you require anything else and we'll be happy to help.