Geo Help

Clinton92

• Administrators

anytime mate, I may start doing short videos on youtube about the network stack. Or a 1 on 1 with you if you like. I see you're learning a lot from the forum but its also wise to get a theoretical understanding I feel

• Netduma Staff

anytime mate, I may start doing short videos on youtube about the network stack. Or a 1 on 1 with you if you like. I see you're learning a lot from the forum but its also wise to get a theoretical understanding I feel

That would be awesome. This place is awesome for knowledge  :D Maybe when you get more time you can start those blogs you were doing again? Although very complicated they were interesting to read. http://blog.netduma.com

That would be awesome. This place is awesome for knowledge :D Maybe when you get more time you can start those blogs you were doing again? Although very complicated they were interesting to read. http://blog.netduma.com

Thanks for that link Crossy haven't seen the blog. That's my kind of reading :)

TCP/IP is such an interesting protocol I've studied it extensively but am always learning new stuff too. It's well worth investing some time in

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for that link Crossy haven't seen the blog. That's my kind of reading :)

TCP/IP is such an interesting protocol I've studied it extensively but am always learning new stuff too. It's well worth investing some time in

Iain has written up two nice entries in there :)

• Administrators

Yeah I'd love to start blogging again. Tbh the network stuff has been explained 100 times. I'll just recommend a book to you instead if you want. 

TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1 by W. Richard Stevens. Is the best overview of networking you'll find. The other two books in the series are fantastic but will not be useful for most people specfically volume 2 (one of my fav books). He is a fantastic author alongside Knuth which I already suggested. 

Volume 1 - great for overview and must read for anyone interested in networking

Volume 2 - This is way too complicated and most people won't be interested. But if you want to implement seriously low level networking i.e. kernel level. This is the best there is. 

Volume 3 - This is more about general network programming, I never read it as I'd already a good understanding of this stuff by the time I found it.

So I'd suggest volume 1 and 3. Then you can start network research which is fascinating in particular congestion control loops etc

• Administrators

The blogs I wrote were more in algorithmic space which is my other passion outside of "systems & networking"(i.e. low level CS engineering).

The cache oblivous algorithms one went miniature viral with over 50k views in a day. I never expected that at all lol

• Netduma Staff

The blogs I wrote were more in algorithmic space which is my other passion outside of "systems & networking"(i.e. low level CS engineering).

The cache oblivous algorithms one went miniature viral with over 50k views in a day. I never expected that at all lol

Lol, thats epic. 50k views - good Netduma advertising!

I am in awe of your understanding Iain :)

Dan says he though I was meaning on the same network so I will let him off but I am not letting myself off for editing my original post to include the line trace the mac lol

Clinton, what ISP is your friend on? Its weird that it changes so often.

The isp my friends have is bigpond. There the biggest in Australia its weird that it changes so frequently. That ive always got to re add them :(

Archived