Geo Help

Clinton92

So Im just wondering why is it when i have added my brother to. My allow list he never comes up as a checked circle. I'm always having to re add people Which is getting frustrating. I thought as soon as there added to the allow list you will always be able to connect to them if there available. Here are some pics below as he always shows up as a solid green circle and i have to extend my geo to allow us to connect to play together 

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1431423204-U841.jpg

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1431423238-U841.jpg

Just a thought do they have a static or dynamic ip? , if it is dynamic it maybe the reason as their ip changes.

Also if they are within your geo-filter i do not bother adding them myself.

Just a thought do they have a static or dynamic ip? , if it is dynamic it maybe the reason as their ip changes.

Also if they are within your geo-filter i do not bother adding them myself.

Cheers zennon 

He has a dynamic ip address. I never thought of that lol thats why it changes all the time. Ok so i have some friends outside my geo and i add them. but when added i cant connect to them . What would you suggest to do then ? as i dont wanna keep on re adding all the time 

So the other friends are on a static ip and you can not connect even when they are in your allow list ?

Do you and your friends all have open Nat's at this point?

I ask to rule this out first as it can sometimes cause issue's.

Ask them if they are rebooting quite frequently or changing ip to get around download restrictions etc ( i used to do this instead of waiting an hour from a share site), to rule out the ip issue first, if not we can look at the duma side of things.

ive already asked them this and they say hardly ever. Do they reboot the modem so maybe the ip lease time just expires and gives a new one. Which maybe is causing the issue. But even then its it could be 5 hours later. I jump back on and ill have to re add them 

If its a lease issue I do not know what could be done about this apart from Iain coding a script for you that allows a certain range so as an example 88.XX.XX.XX .

I had to have this done for me when I was a member of an FTP with a dynamic IP.

This might not be the problem and if it is not can somebody who knows or has had this problem please would you post here, thank you :)

• Netduma Staff

If its a lease issue I do not know what could be done about this apart from Iain coding a script for you that allows a certain range so as an example 88.XX.XX.XX .

Isn't that basically just doing what the GeoFilter is doing though - auto-allowing people from a certain area? :)

• Netduma Staff

ive already asked them this and they say hardly ever. Do they reboot the modem so maybe the ip lease time just expires and gives a new one. Which maybe is causing the issue. But even then its it could be 5 hours later. I jump back on and ill have to re add them 

An easy way to check if it because their IP's are changing it to note down their ID when you click on their circle. Then when you have to re-add them to you allow list see if the ID has changed :)

An easy way to check if it because their IP's are changing it to note down their ID when you click on their circle. Then when you have to re-add them to you allow list see if the ID has changed :)

Hey crossy

you a right the host id is changing each time. Is there anyway to stop it do my mates have to have a static ip ?

• Netduma Staff

Hey crossy

you a right the host id is changing each time. Is there anyway to stop it do my mates have to have a static ip ?

Hi :) I don't think think there would be a way to do it. Do they have Netdumas? If they do then maybe a feature could be implemented that automatically updated each other on other peoples allow/deny or something like that.

Hi :) I don't think think there would be a way to do it. Do they have Netdumas? If they do then maybe a feature could be implemented that automatically updated each other on other peoples allow/deny or something like that.

Unfortunately they dont have duma's. It just causes issues sometimes trying to join each other. Unless I expand my geo and include them in it. I guess its no big deal :)

• Netduma Staff

Unfortunately they dont have duma's. It just causes issues sometimes trying to join each other. Unless I expand my geo and include them in it. I guess its no big deal :)

No way that I could think of. I don't think there is any other way of identifying an external network other that its IP address so I don't think it is possible to automatically update it.

• Netduma Staff

haha ok thanks anyway crossy and zennon :)

Also just a quick question why do i get faster speeds using reactive vs preemptive ? 

Because pre-emptive can only handle speeds to 60Mpbs. Reactive can handle everything above that.

By a certain range I mean ip range from an isp their ip will usually always start will the same first numbers.

With them being outside his geo a wildcard might be a way of getting around it.

Or trace them by mac address.

• Netduma Staff

By a certain range I mean ip range from an isp their ip will usually always start will the same first numbers.

With them being outside his geo a wildcard might be a way of getting around it.

Or trace them by mac address.

Can you view MAC Addresses from an external Network? I read this and it suggests not but I may have misunderstood it.

Lol I thought it was bull but he was so adamant. And he does networking for a living hum haha

I need the sack for thinking it may be true

• Administrators

Clinton, what ISP is your friend on? Its weird that it changes so often.

Crossy a MAC address is used at physical layer. Its the lowest layer in the network statck. Its only used for connecting to computers you're directly connect( as Akic said 1 hop ). That means any computers directly wired, directly wifi or directly connected via switch.

So when you want to communicate with a host connected directly. You ask "yo who has ip address x.y.z.w" and the computer will reply "I (aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff) have IP address x.y.z.w" the communication can start. The protocol is called ARP if you're interested. That's why MAC address must be unique to each device in the world(and why its 6 octets long not 4 octets). 

Octet - just means 1 byte which is 2^8 = 256 different numbers.

• Netduma Staff

Crossy a MAC address is used at physical layer. Its the lowest layer in the network statck. Its only used for connecting to computers you're directly connect( as Akic said 1 hop ). That means any computers directly wired, directly wifi or directly connected via switch.

So when you want to communicate with a host connected directly. You ask "yo who has ip address x.y.z.w" and the computer will reply "I (aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff) have IP address x.y.z.w" the communication can start. The protocol is called ARP if you're interested. That's why MAC address must be unique to each device in the world(and why its 6 octets long not 4 octets). 

Octet - just means 1 byte which is 2^8 = 256 different numbers.

Thanks for the explanation. I read this which explained lots but your 'yo, who has ip address' was funnier, haha :)

Archived