Constantly connecting to a server 4416km away

Anyone have any idea why I keep getting connected to this dedi in Seattle, Washington even when I exclude it from the filter range and turn strict mode on? Surely there are plenty of other viable hosts between where I am in Nova Scotia and the west coast of the USA. I have attached a screenshot of before I enabled strict mode and after and it shows the padlock with strict mode on but still connected to it anyway at which point I promptly rage quit and wrote up this post. Any suggestions on how to fix this or even logical explanations as to why it's happening would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-1767-0-77226500-1430263033_thumb.jpg

post-1767-0-18275900-1430263038_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Hi nightstorm, I'm just about to sleep so I won't respond till the morning after this.

The padlock you see is mostly likely not in Seattle. Try click it when you see it appear and ping it. I bet its way lower then it should be to Seattle. If so can you post the ID as requested in this thread: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/1723-cloud-incorrect-locations/

A cloud will be run next Tuesday that will move them to their correct location. In the mean time I suggest setting ping assist to at least 50ms probably more due to your location so you can connect to incorrectly located hosts OR disable strict mode just when you're about to enter a game.

Once its moved next week the issue will be fixed for you. Cheers 

Hey Iain thanks for the quick response. I already did post this one on that thread the other day so when I saw your post on there saying those had been updated and to turn on bleeding edge mode in order to see it that's exactly what I did. Still showed up in Washington though. That's why I made this thread; I figured if post-update it's still showing up there then it must be actually in Washington which means something else is wrong. I Also wasn't sure if 50ms was realistic for a ping to Seattle or not.

To test this I just did some continuous pings to one of my ISP's Cisco 10k UBRs in Delta, BC just a little ways north of Seattle and getting results around 100ms so it does look like it might be incorrect geolocation still. If there was a way to get the IP address to display I could look some more into geolocation issues myself. Any plans to make IP's visible in the R1 software in the future? Little off topic but would come in mighty handy. Also, what geolocation database do you use?

Anyway thanks for the suggestions I will give those a try and await the cloud update on Tuesday.

PS: definitely impressed by the level of support so far, not just for myself but for other posts I've seen on here too. Keep up the great work!

I think it's important to let everyone know that the map isn't 100% accurate and that's why ping assist was invented. I ping 15-25ms to most dedicated servers I connect to, but they are all on the other side of the country. That's impossible...

Also, not everyone's IP can be mapped to a location. For some reason my friend shows up in Kansas even though he lives in Michigan. When he geolocates his IP it shows him in Kansas. It's just an issue with geolocating in general. It's not 100% accurate.

Many times on my phone the speedtest app showed my location in Kansas. Imagine how many people who's IP can't be mapped to a location is showing up in Kansas and we are blocking it, or a server with an unknown location and we are blocking it. That's why setting ping assist to 30-40ms is kinda important.

• Administrators

Its not a good idea for us to let you see IPs as people could easily use them for malicious means. Its not difficult to do without an R1 you just need wireshark and a hub(if the device doesn't support packet tracing). However we don't want to make it easier for people.

As Maz said that's the goal of ping assist, since you live quite far out from othe hosts I'd sugget maybe even 70ms for ping assist. 

One last thing servers usually come in clusters, so there may be multiple IDs in the wrong location. That's why its a good idea to continually just post in that thread when you find an incorrectly located IP. Don't worry about duplicates when I run the cloud it will detect that.

Cheers mate

Yeah I guess I'll have to mess around with ping assist values a bit. 70 seems kinda high though doesn't it? I mean it's not like I live on some island in the middle of the ocean. I'm really not that far from some of the most highly populated cities in North America (Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, New York, Boston, etc). You would think I'd have it fairly easy. Well couldn't hurt to try it out and see what happens. Strangely enough I never see any hosts at all in Quebec or Ontario and very rarely in NS/NB/NL. I guess east coast Canadians don't play AW :P Can't say I blame em... I must just be a glutton for punishment.

• Administrators

lol nightstorm!

Getting ping assist was very difficult so its a bit flakey so I always add a bit of buffer to make it work. For example I typically get 20-30ms hosts, so I set my ping assist to 50ms so it has a better chance of catching them. Hope that helps man 

Archived