VPN especially ExpressVPN

Hi,

I am trying to set up ExpressVPN on the Netduma, as its based on OpenWRT it should work. Here are tutorials for differen routers, which one should work with the Netduma?

https://www.expressvpn.xyz/support/vpn-setup/

please help :)

The one that says Netduma :P

https://www.expressvpn.xyz/support/vpn-setup/setup-expressvpn-openvpn-netduma-router/

• Netduma Staff

Now I see it it’s the little Box beside general on the left side. You just cant read what you enter. Cmon guys no one reported this?

Nope, don't think I've seen that before. My guess is one of your devices has lots of IP addresses listed that had made the box small. If that is the case - rebooting the router will fix this.

OK I completely misunderstood virtual private networking here. In fact I think the name is misleading. I had a long talk with ExpressVPN. The Service is brutally fast I get 25ms of ping and 10Mbit per second down. 

Now I wanted to tunnel my iphone through their services to have the phone in my home network all time so I don't need to open ports on my router. Its nice to access the whole home network from within with the actual Ip adresses. Now this is not what a VPN offers. I would not connect to my network but to theirs so no tunneling. 

So to have my own VPN I still have to set up my mac server VPN. 

Well I get it now.

Interestingly they said if my router would have feature of Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPSec (L2TP/IPSec) , then I could do the trick over their Service. Would that be something Netduma could do? Would it be useful in any way?

• Netduma Staff

OK I completely misunderstood virtual private networking here. In fact I think the name is misleading. I had a long talk with ExpressVPN. The Service is brutally fast I get 25ms of ping and 10Mbit per second down. 

Now I wanted to tunnel my iphone through their services to have the phone in my home network all time so I don't need to open ports on my router. Its nice to access the whole home network from within with the actual Ip adresses. Now this is not what a VPN offers. I would not connect to my network but to theirs so no tunneling. 

So to have my own VPN I still have to set up my mac server VPN. 

Well I get it now.

Interestingly they said if my router would have feature of Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with IPSec (L2TP/IPSec) , then I could do the trick over their Service. Would that be something Netduma could do? Would it be useful in any way?

The VPN on the Netduma is a VPN client. To do what you want to do you need a VPN server. I'm sure this will be added at some point as others have requested it before.

Archived