New Game Question on Ping

DumaRocks

So I have been taken a break from COD and picked up Overwatch. Pretty fun game but definitely different type of play. What was interesting is this game has no visible or noticeable lag and my duma settings read the ping between 10ms to 15ms with a few spikes here and there going upwards of 25ms but not much more. It basically plays flawlessly from what I can tell.

I remember reading on this forum that if you run a test in internet diagnosis that ping is the best you can expect to get based off of the equipment you are running. My results are basically as follows:

21ms and change with a couple 22ms and on 28ms. Ping: Good, Jitter: Exceptional, Spikes: Exceptional, Packet Loss: No Loss

So I was curious, if my duma settings are saying I am getting a ping connecting to a server in Souther California from Northern Illinois, the pings bounce on average between 10m and 15ms, is the internet diagnosis wrong in that case? Which ones are actually accurate? Are the difference between 10m and 21ms even something to be too worried about? It is nice to see the pings that low in the Overwatch games, I have to admit.

What is interesting to me is when I play COD, the best ping I seem to get is 35ms but quite often bouncing up to and above 65ms connecting to one state over but in Overwatch I get a ping that is substantially better from half way across the country. Speaks volumes about COD servers, at least from where I am sitting it does.

The Netduma ping test uses Googles nearest server to you this maybe further away than a host to you.

Overwatch's servers are silky smooth a real pleasure to play.

Might actually have to pick up Overwatch as I've heard nothing but good things about the way it plays.

Definitely a different type of play style, games aren't comparable so can't say one is better than the other outside of connection. I still like COD a lot despite the connection issues but Overwatch is a kind of a nice break from it. You have to accept the fact that Overwatch is basically going to control the game flow for you though, it might bump you out of a lobby into another one, I can only assume because of matchmaking and it almost kind of forces the team approach so the lone wolf, that you can do in COD, is not really much of an option. Has it's own issues but the game is a lot of fun and worth the purchase in my opinion.

If your using a Duma, you pretty much have to enable all of US to get a game (assuming your in the US), I am in Illinois and I connect to Southern California in Overwatch. In COD I connect to Iowa, one state over. My connection in Overwatch is like butter compared to COD so there is a noticeable difference. With COD I have to narrow my results to less that 1200km to get a decent connection but it is still only good about 60% of the time. Still get laggy games with COD about 40% of the time but that doesn't appear to exist with Overwatch which is almost flawless in most cases.

Hope that gives you some insight from my minimal experience.

Archived