VPN and Call of Duty Online Service

Hey guys,

I just got my netduma and after spending a few hours setting it up with my Verizon Fios Aciontec router I got my NAT open and connection to the router. Now I have come across another obstacle, setting up my VPN. When I enable my VPN in the router interface it looks fine, but when I load up call of duty I cannot connect to the online service. When I disable the VPN everything goes back too normal. The way I got my NAT to open before was that I opened the router ports 3074 and 3075. In the router interface it says “Connected” to my VPN. How do I enable my VPN AND connect to call of duty’s online servers?

P.S. random question. If I am playing a custom game in call of duty where the host is predetermined, does it do anything to reduce lag to the host? This probably sounds like a noob question but I am wondering what benefits the netduma has for reducing lag in custom games not just public games.

Hey guys,

I just got my netduma and after spending a few hours setting it up with my Verizon Fios Aciontec router I got my NAT open and connection to the router. Now I have come across another obstacle, setting up my VPN. When I enable my VPN in the router interface it looks fine, but when I load up call of duty I cannot connect to the online service. When I disable the VPN everything goes back too normal. The way I got my NAT to open before was that I opened the router ports 3074 and 3075. In the router interface it says “Connected” to my VPN. How do I enable my VPN AND connect to call of duty’s online servers?

P.S. random question. If I am playing a custom game in call of duty where the host is predetermined, does it do anything to reduce lag to the host? This probably sounds like a noob question but I am wondering what benefits the netduma has for reducing lag in custom games not just public games.

You should put the netduma in the Fios router's DMZ... Not sure which router you have but google is your friend here. That will make sure it gives you an open nat all the time. Also, going into settings>misc> and check the box that says UPnP forwarding should help.

edit: regarding Fios, you can request them to provision your ONT (the big ass box on the wall) to run without their router, letting you plug your netduma directly into it with an ethernet cable.

If you're playing in a custom game with a set host it can't really help since if you block that host then you can't connect... You can however request a different host. I use it to pick the host that is local to all players when playing gamebattles if a team has a bad connection.

As for the VPN, enable it on your pc or phone and see if you have internet access... More than likely the setup you're using isn't correct or it's missing something. Post your vpn provider as well as what you have entered into the advanced setup portion of the vpn

You should put the netduma in the Fios router's DMZ... Not sure which router you have but google is your friend here. That will make sure it gives you an open nat all the time. Also, going into settings>misc> and check the box that says UPnP forwarding should help.

edit: regarding Fios, you can request them to provision your ONT (the big ass box on the wall) to run without their router, letting you plug your netduma directly into it with an ethernet cable.

If you're playing in a custom game with a set host it can't really help since if you block that host then you can't connect... You can however request a different host. I use it to pick the host that is local to all players when playing gamebattles if a team has a bad connection.

As for the VPN, enable it on your pc or phone and see if you have internet access... More than likely the setup you're using isn't correct or it's missing something. Post your vpn provider as well as what you have entered into the advanced setup portion of the vpn

I already enabled the DMZ thing in Verizon, thats how I got the connection to work without the VPN. I also unchecked the enable upnp already too.

I already enabled the DMZ thing in Verizon, thats how I got the connection to work without the VPN. I also unchecked the enable upnp already too.

No, you want UPnP enabled in both settings- Settings>UPnP as well as Settings>Misc>UPnP forwarding.

No, you want UPnP enabled in both settings- Settings>UPnP as well as Settings>Misc>UPnP forwarding.

Hmmm, the other post that told people how to set up the Verizon Actiontec specifically had us disable that option and manually open the ports ourselves. Are you sure I should be enabling this option if I manually opened the ports? I will if you think that is definitely the problem.

Hmmm, the other post that told people how to set up the Verizon Actiontec specifically had us disable that option and manually open the ports ourselves. Are you sure I should be enabling this option if I manually opened the ports? I will if you think that is definitely the problem.

The problem with your vpn is it's probably setup wrong... Post the text here you have entered into the advanced setup box as well as your vpn provider.

UPnP will help if you decide to play another game that uses a different port besides 3074/5

As far as I know, the setup is put the netduma in your other router's DMZ and that's it. UPnP should be on so it can open the right ports on the netduma, and UPnP forwarding is just a precaution in case your netduma isn't in your first router's DMZ it will tell it to open the required ports.

The problem with your vpn is it's probably setup wrong... Post the text here you have entered into the advanced setup box as well as your vpn provider.

UPnP will help if you decide to play another game that uses a different port besides 3074/5

As far as I know, the setup is put the netduma in your other router's DMZ and that's it. UPnP should be on so it can open the right ports on the netduma, and UPnP forwarding is just a precaution in case your netduma isn't in your first router's DMZ it will tell it to open the required ports.

The setup is through hidemyass so I just used the quick setup and logged in with my HMA login.

Even xbox live party chat does not work when VPN is enabled. It is giving me the error "your network settings are blocking party chat."

The setup is through hidemyass so I just used the quick setup and logged in with my HMA login.

Even xbox live party chat does not work when VPN is enabled. It is giving me the error "your network settings are blocking party chat."

I don't know anything about HMA except for the fact that they keep logs which pretty much makes a vpn pointless for anonymity

yeah HMA is useless and pointless really. I have PIA( privateinternetaccess.com) which i use on the duma........using a vpn to play on a console is not really rexommended and can cause an increase in lag. I use vpn for all my other devices but not my console.

if you really insist on using HMA then you need to go into setup and insert it's openvpn certification......but for consoles a vpn is not really advised......think of it this way......the data has to be encrypted as it is being generated thus causing unnecessary lag...........i am sure i will be corrected if I am wrong by a vpn guru on here!

if you really insist on using HMA then you need to go into setup and insert it's openvpn certification......but for consoles a vpn is not really advised......think of it this way......the data has to be encrypted as it is being generated thus causing unnecessary lag...........i am sure i will be corrected if I am wrong by a vpn guru on here!

That's accurate, I tried this in the past when experimenting with BO3, VPNs cause more trouble than good as far as trying to game with them even when using a local server.

If you stream, apply the VPN to the PC, leave the console(s) alone.

Also HMA passes over logged info to any official body requesting logs, so this tells you that they log and that your security isn't taken seriously.

Given the guilty parties were irresponsible ass hats, a good VPN doesn't invest their resources in tracking their users or logging their activity...

https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-mull-fraudster-database-in-wake-of-lulzec-fiasco-111006/#disqus_thread

• Administrators

Hey guys,

Hey, welcome to the forum!

When you try to connect online with the VPN enabled do you see anything being blocked on the Geo-filter?

I wouldn't advise using HMA if possible. The issue you may have is that they do not have the necessary ports forwarded for an open NAT as they are not a gaming vpn.

You won't be able to use the Geo-filter but you can use congestion control to ensure that others in your home do not cause you to lag.

• Administrators

If you get a gaming VPN that you can connect to a close server with it shouldn't be add loads to your ping, the only one I've had experience with is VyprVPN. 

If you talk with any of the people you're going to play with on Skype or anything before hand you could VPN your PC.

you do not need a vpn for console gaming. call of duty has dedicated servers so therefore your ip address will not be trackable. if theres a ddos attack it will be the server that goes down and not your console.

you do not need a vpn for console gaming. call of duty has dedicated servers so therefore your ip address will not be trackable. if theres a ddos attack it will be the server that goes down and not your console.

I am not worried about that. Everyone keeps telling me why I should not get a VPN. I do not care, I have already made up my mind. I am getting a VPN to ensure I do not get hit offline when I am in a tournament.

Yes, my ip address is still traceable on call of duty. My friend who can boot people offline can track where I live and my IP.

Now if someone can please answer my question, will buying VyprVPN (or if someone can suggest a gaming VPN) allow me to mask my IP while playing xbox AND maintain my open NAT.

i think turning on stealth in duma can hide ur ip, but i aint too sure! I dont car if i got booted by my ip, i aint on a dedicated ip address and can change it if needed!

i think turning on stealth in duma can hide ur ip, but i aint too sure! I dont car if i got booted by my ip, i aint on a dedicated ip address and can change it if needed!

Can anyone confirm if stealth mode hides your IP? If so this is exactly what I need. Thank you big dog!

Can anyone confirm if stealth mode hides your IP? If so this is exactly what I need. Thank you big dog!

Nope, you're online you can't hide your IP besides a VPN but the odds of you getting booted offline while in a tournament are probably .00001% likely compared to the amount of times you're going to be screwed over by a VPN's lag.

I am not worried about that. Everyone keeps telling me why I should not get a VPN. I do not care, I have already made up my mind. I am getting a VPN to ensure I do not get hit offline when I am in a tournament.

Yes, my ip address is still traceable on call of duty. My friend who can boot people offline can track where I live and my IP.

Now if someone can please answer my question, will buying VyprVPN (or if someone can suggest a gaming VPN) allow me to mask my IP while playing xbox AND maintain my open NAT.

VPN will mean you'll be disadvantaged in your tournaments, if you don't care then get a VPN to mask your IP but the reality of it is, if someone wants, they'll DDOS the VPN IP and you'll have a shit game because of it anyway...

Also, if the VPN doesn't allow port forwarding you'll have a strict NAT...

Archived