Setup with bridged modem and Netduma for Plusnet ADSL

Gamingcavalier

Hi all,

I've been using the Openreach(ECI) and Netduma on Talktalk fibre for the last couple of months without problems.  I have now changed ISPs and with that, gone back to ADSL.  The idea was to use an unlocked HG612 in bridge mode with the Netduma as main router(similar to what my fibre was)......for the life of me I can't get it set up to work as it seems a bit more complicated. Some of the parameters need changing for them to communicate or it might not even be possible.  I have basic networking skills but I feel this might be harder for me than I expected.  I have also tried with a few other modem/routers but have a similar situation.  Sorry for the lengthy post, I just want to be as clear as possible.  Does anybody here have a similar setup or have any ideas how I need to go about this?  It just feels like I am missing something and I don't want the trusty Netduma to become a paperweight  :(

Thanks in advance.

Not used this in ppoa but you could look it this

http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Huawei_HG612

Thanks for that,  I can't tell you how many times I looked at that website lol.  I can set up the Hg612 to connect as a modem/router on PPPoA but I am unable to make the two communicate here either.  What I am actually trying to achieve, is to use bridge mode so the Netduma handles all the rest....but this is where I become unstuck, in both cases somewhere inbetween the two is something I can't fathom 

Thanks for that,  I can't tell you how many times I looked at that website lol.  I can set up the Hg612 to connect as a modem/router on PPPoA but I am unable to make the two communicate here either.  What I am actually trying to achieve, is to use bridge mode so the Netduma handles all the rest....but this is where I become unstuck, in both cases somewhere inbetween the two is something I can't fathom

Ok I see ,yer not to sure on that then as I use fibre,however when I used adsl2 I had the draytek vigor 120 which allowed the router I had to control the Internet , I know there is this version available https://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-ADSL-Ethernet-Modem/dp/B00F9E5LQA

Or you could consider getting a new cheaper modem.

Maybe one of the other forum members like Zennon might be able to help.

Hi, the HG612 is a fibre modem.

Are you able to authenticate to ADSL and get a connection directly from the HG612? I can find no documentation where this is possible.

Ok I see ,yer not to sure on that then as I use fibre,however when I used adsl2 I had the draytek vigor 120 which allowed the router I had to control the Internet , I know there is this version available https://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-ADSL-Ethernet-Modem/dp/B00F9E5LQA

Or you could consider getting a new cheaper modem.

Maybe one of the other forum members like Zennon might be able to help.

Thanks for the link and your help again.  I have been thinking of going down that route but I feel I might be wasting money since I have a few ADSL routers laying around, it's just a matter of getting the configuration right.  I had another go last night with the Hg612,  it seems the BTagent has locked me out, tried reflashing etc. but now I can't access it at all....not with GUI or even Telnet so it's probably useless now on ADSL.  Any ideas?

I have tried a Hg635(Talktalk superrouter) in the same way with the bridge mode but no luck there. 

In my setup, what would be the best way to setup a modem/router and then the Netduma as doing all the routing?   

Hi, the HG612 is a fibre modem.

Are you able to authenticate to ADSL and get a connection directly from the HG612? I can find no documentation where this is possible.

Hi,

If unlocked it has an option for VDSL and ADSL.  Whether it works or not, I won't be able to tell you as it seems I've been locked out of accessing it before I could do any more. It did seem to work by looking at stats and accepting login details, just had problems between that and Netduma and unfortunately didn't try lan internet connectivity to my laptop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

follow the link in my sig the same should apply to adsl or at least give you some pointers

I have given up on the HG612 for now as I am unable to unlock it again, the latest Bt agent update seems to have got rid of the possibility to use a GUI and blocked telnet access. I have gone with the Vigor 120 that Sharpz mentioned and works perfectly.

Thanks again for your suggestion anyway

Archived