Refurbished Router?

The_Waffler

I received my R1 router today, and there are a few things that have me a little concerned about whether I got someone's returned router.

First the router had some weird debris on it. All around it actually. They looked like dark little fibers. I thought nothing of these and simply dusted them off. Secondly the router itself was not very secure in the box and the power supply was not bagged( not sure it is is suppose to be), but the Ethernet cable was. The router box itself was had no security seal sticker on it either when I opened it.

When I go into the VPN settings, there is a name that already exists under the first screen that pops up ( Advanced VPN Connection Settings).

The name is Marie Hamn. When I hit the fast set up option, there is already a provider listed called "hide my ass". Spelled just like that.

I am completely new to this router and I'm sorry if I am totally off on anything. I am  not trying to cause problems or complain just to complain. If all is well then awesome. I just want to make sure no one had this router before me, and if they did, what should I do about it. Thank you.

• Netduma Staff

Hey :) From the description you've given of the software it sounds normal. The basic VPN section has "hide my ass" as the default VPN service - so that's normal. I did a quick search and I think Mariehamn is the name of a place that HMA has a server so that's probably what you were seeing in the advanced section.

Hey :) From the description you've given of the software it sounds normal. The basic VPN section has "hide my ass" as the default VPN service - so that's normal. I did a quick search and I think Mariehamn is the name of a place that HMA has a server so that's probably what you were seeing in the advanced section.

Very good to hear thank you. Just wanted to make sure if I did have a returned router, that there wasn't something that I needed to do to secure it. Thanks again

• Netduma Staff

Very good to hear thank you. Just wanted to make sure if I did have a returned router, that there wasn't something that I needed to do to secure it. Thanks again

No worries :) Fraser should be able to confirm for definite in the morning but I'd be surprised if it was a refurbished one.

• Administrators

We don't send out refurbished routers. The debris is likely from the box we took it out of or the box we put into it. Power supply won't have been bagged. Router should have been pressed in so it couldn't move, ethernet & power cable keep it in from the side. There is no security seal. VPN has been answered above!

No worries about asking, good to know you had these thoughts so we can look into them :)

Archived