How complex my network is becoming

abc123

|--->Computer

|                     |--> Xbox One

|--->Netduma----|--> PS4

|--->WRT1900AC (Wireless AC on 5GHz and N on 2.4GHz)

-->Modem-->pfSense-->Netgear Switch----------->|

|--->Work Laptop

-pfSense running on ZOTAC ZBOX C Series

* Intel N3150 Quad Core

* 128GB Intel SSD

* 8GB Ram

-Netgear Switch

* NETGEAR ProSAFE GS116NA 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS116NA)

so really your only benefit with that set up(Netduma wise) is Host Filtering?

correct, it is the only benefit I get from the netduma.

The pfSense box provides all the other features.

SB6183

Current Known Issues:

- During large file tranfers the Ping time between modem and first node deviates from 5-8ms to 8-15ms...which is pretty horrible

How is the ping or overall performance for Ps4 pvp games like Destiny

Sadly this is a widely biased question, as it will be different depending on if i'm host or where the host is located.  The best information I can give is the ping time from modem to first ISP node.

This is: 7.779ms

With a standard deviation of 1.494ms

When I put the modem under load (speed test, large file download), 

The ping times get horrible:

Ping to first hop (node): 22.233ms

Standard deviation: 16.084ms

This is the bug that everyone is speaking of, when you put this modem under load it causes this error due to EEE.

Sadly this is a widely biased question, as it will be different depending on if i'm host or where the host is located.  The best information I can give is the ping time from modem to first ISP node.

This is: 7.779ms

With a standard deviation of 1.494ms

Ping to first hop (node): 22.233ms

Standard deviation: 16.084ms

This is the bug that everyone is speaking of, when you put this modem under load it causes this error due to EEE.

And this error with the SB6183 can now be avoided due to the new firmware version allowing EEE to be disabled? Or does this issue still persist?

And this error with the SB6183 can now be avoided due to the new firmware version allowing EEE to be disabled? Or does this issue still persist?

Time Warner hasn't released the updated firmware yet, thereby it is still broken...i'm switching to a Zoom 5370, to test if it still has this issue.

Time Warner hasn't released the updated firmware yet, thereby it is still broken...i'm switching to a Zoom 5370, to test if it still has this issue.

Hmm I was under the impression that there was features in the modems themselves like the sb6190 that allowed the individual to shut off EEE. Or that it was done with firmware updates from the modem manufactures.

I am looking at the TP Link TC 7610 and the 7620. Let me know if you get a chance to look at these two and how they stack against the Zoom.

I am thinking of going with the 7620 since it is 16x4 instead of the 7610's 8x4. Problem is I haven't come across anyone on here that has used the 7620 to tell me whether it has compatibility issues with the R1( like those caused by the EEE problems associated with the Motorola modems).

Heard nothing but good things about the 7610 so far though.

Thanks again for the response

I tried the Zoom 5370 it had the same issue like the SB6183 but the 5341J worked great for me.  I never tried the 5345 though.

I tried the Zoom 5370 it had the same issue like the SB6183 but the 5341J worked great for me.  I never tried the 5345 though.

Hmmm weird. Because it looks like the main difference between the 5341 and the 5370 is the amount of channels. I would think more channels would be better. At least thta's what I have always been told.

Maybe the 7610 would be the best option then since it only is 8x4. The 5370, TC-7620 and the SB1683 are all 16x4 and all have had reported issues. Oddly enough though, the SB 6190 is 32x4 and one guy claimed it worked great due to being able to shut the EEE off.

Hmmm weird. Because it looks like the main difference between the 5341 and the 5370 is the amount of channels. I would think more channels would be better. At least thta's what I have always been told.

Maybe the 7610 would be the best option then since it only is 8x4. The 5370, TC-7620 and the SB1683 are all 16x4 and all have had reported issues. Oddly enough though, the SB 6190 is 32x4 and one guy claimed it worked great due to being able to shut the EEE off.

I'm not an expert at this but I play one on tv (my attempt at humor) but I think it is more so an issue with the chipsets that are in the modems. Unfortunately there has not been a comprehensive list drawn up of all the chipsets with these issues.  Only thing we can do right now is going to be trial and error.  Just make sure where ever you purchase a modem from make sure they have a return policy.  

Sorry abc123 I hope I haven't misdirected your post.  

I'm not an expert at this but I play one on tv (my attempt at humor) but I think it is more so an issue with the chipsets that are in the modems. Unfortunately there has not been a comprehensive list drawn up of all the chipsets with these issues.  Only thing we can do right now is going to be trial and error.  Just make sure where ever you purchase a modem from make sure they have a return policy.  

Sorry abc123 I hope I haven't misdirected your post.  

You didn't, you are always awesome.

My Zoom 5370 arrives in a couple hours...I'll then run it through the gauntlet and see if it is alive or bloody at the end.  If it is bloodied up i'll return it and move to the SB6190 because they have resolved the EEE issue on it.  The SB6183's newest firmware release has the ability to shut off EEE, however which firmware version you have is completely controlled by your ISP thereby my ISP (Time Warner Cable) doesn't provided this firmware and thereby this modem has the known issue of high ping times during load (+18ms increase) which is huge...

I'll be back with new information when I have it.

Note: This is extremely important to mention, DOCSIS 3.1 is going to be released by the end of this year (2016).  So unless you are having a serious issue with latency I do not recommend upgrading your modem at this time.  

Unless you are crazy, like me.

Note: This is extremely important to mention, DOCSIS 3.1 is going to be released by the end of this year (2016).  So unless you are having a serious issue with latency I do not recommend upgrading your modem at this time.  

Unless you are crazy, like me.

Would you recommend gaming with a pfsense setup? Because I was thinking of adding one to my setup or maybe even a ubiquiti erlite-3 edgemax. What are some of the pros and cons of having a commercial based routing setup?

Buck Nasssty I had a ERPoe-5 which i returned 2 weeks after purchase because it isn't a good piece of hardware...it cannot QoS above 80Mb/s...

Here is a whole post I made about that thing: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Issues-with-Edge-Router-EdgeOS-not-being-powerful-enough-being/td-p/1576843

pfSense Pros:

- can setup complex or simple routing rules and NAT

- it can use Snort to protect your network from known malicious attackers

- it has a higher max throughput depending on hardware

- it's webui on 2.3 and above is amazing

- it has an amazingly powerful CLI with SSH access

- it is extremely stable

- it has better protection against certain DDoS attacks

- it can handle QoS on high throughput networks (lowering bufferbloat)

pfSense Cons:

- it feels scary but isn't

- it is overkill for most users

- it doesn't make toast

Zoom 5370 Results

Idle Ping: 7.629ms

With a standard deviation of 1.344ms

Ping to first hop (node): 24.512ms
Standard deviation: 17.012ms

This modem is already on it's way back to amazon...DO NOT BUY THIS MODEM

I'm in the process of repurposing an old Gateway box (FX530S) into a pfense router. I just purchased some nic cards.

I think that is definitely a good test, feel free to ask questions on the pfSense forums.  They are extremely helpful, one thing they are going to ping you about it your Voltage use is high.  So if you run that box as a pfSense box for 4 years then you likely will spend more than buying a smaller wattage purposed box like:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNR4HE2

Zoom 5370 Results

Idle Ping: 7.629ms

With a standard deviation of 1.344ms

Ping to first hop (node): 24.512ms
Standard deviation: 17.012ms

This modem is already on it's way back to amazon...DO NOT BUY THIS MODEM

Few questions here.What ping times are ideal with Netduma? Do you know why the 5370 was having issues? And have you tried the Zoom 5341j? It seems like Netduma does not like 16x4 modems but 8x4 or 32x4 work ok.

• Administrators

Few questions here.What ping times are ideal with Netduma? Do you know why the 5370 was having issues? And have you tried the Zoom 5341j? It seems like Netduma does not like 16x4 modems but 8x4 or 32x4 work ok.

Obviously the lower the better. Base ping won't be something we can help with. Using congestion control you shouldn't have much variance at all in ping under load. 

I can look into that!

Obviously the lower the better. Base ping won't be something we can help with. Using congestion control you shouldn't have much variance at all in ping under load. 

I can look into that!

Well yes I understand that no ping would be ideal, but I am wondering at what level would he consider good. What level would he know he has found the right modem/netduma compatibility and so forth. To me it does seem that when someone posts a modem they re having issues with, it is a 16x4 version.

Which has me wondering about the TP Link TC 7610, an 8x4 vs the 7620 model which is a 16x4. I have seen that people have had great success with the 7610, but I read somewhere( can't remember which post on here) that a person said that 7620 was actually the better choice. I ordered the R1 and it should be arriving tomorrow. I just want to make sure I get the best choice in modem sent so I don't have to keep experimenting. Trying to set up a network to handle PSN's peer to peer nonsense has been hell and I am in much need of some straight forward solutions.

Archived