Verizon FIOs Actiontec Router/Modem Settings for PSN and XBL

This is my first port so bear with me and add or take away what you like. In the NYC area and I'm sure Verizon FIOs across the USA we have the "Modem/Router" which also gives out set top boxes their internet for the TV guide, DVR, streaming movies, etc. So in a round about way with A LOT of trial and error I found the best settings for COD and gaming in general, so lets get to it.

First you must assign your NetDuma a IP off the Verizon router so we can then put it into a DMZ off the Verizon Router. To do this you must go into your Verizon Routers home page VIA 192.168.1.1 on the backside of the router it will show the user name and password, User name is usually admin and password is a bunch of letters, numbers and characters. Once "in" you will see the "Advanced" icon in the upper right of the routers home page, click that, it'll then ask you if your sure, click yes. Click "IP Address Distribution", then click "Connection List". You will notice your Set Top Box(es) listed her by "IP-STB#" the # showing which box you have, I have 3 so there are 3 IP-STB's. The one called "New-Host" is your NetDuma router, ohh, you should ONLY have your NetDuma plugged into the Verizon Router. To the far right next to new-host your see in the action column the middle icon is to adjust the settings, click that. The next window will show the routers IP (remember the IP, write it down) and MAC Address, on the bottom you will see "Static Lease Type" check that box so it is highlighted. You now assigned your NetDuma router a IP address, next is to DMZ the router.

To DMZ the NetDuma router we must return to the Verizon routers home page and on the top you will see "Firewall Settings" click that, it'll ask if your sure, click yes. In the firewall settings window you will see on the left you'll see "DMZ Host". Click that and put in your NetDuma's IP that I told to write down earlier, it should be something like 192.168.1.??, put that there and to the left of the IP click the box. You know put your NetDuma into a DMZ. so we are done, for now, with the Verizon Routers settings. next is a few NetDuma settings I messed with and felt like it made my gaming better.

~~From here down is my own settings, this works best for me~~~~

Go into your NetDuma router home page 192.168.88.1, I assume you already set your bandwidth and set your devices, if you haven't use NetDuma's instructions on how to. I have a PS3, a PS4 and a Apple Airport Router hooked up to my NetDuma.

Under "settings" and Miscellaneous Settings you will see "Enable upnp forwarding" UNCHECK this box, this will prevent the NetDuma from opening ports on the Verizon Router, there is no need to because the NetDuma is now in DMZ. Now turn on your console of choice, mine is PS4.

Xbox and PSN both use a very important port for gaming, 3074. So we need to make sure that port is open and flowing nicely for the consoles. Go back into NetDuma's Settings and UPNP, when that window is open UNCHECK enable, yes, turn it off, we're going to manually set the ports.

With your console on go to "Device Manager" on NetDumas page and you'll see your console(s) and their IP's, 192.168.88.??? remember your consoles IP or write it down, we're going to manually open and set the gaming port for the console.

Go back to Settings/Port Forwarding, for Rule Name you can put in what you want I use PSN for my Playstations and XBL for Xbox consoles. For start port put in 3074 and end port put 3074, for protocol click the drop down menu and put "TCP & UDP", then put in the last # of your console IP, and click "add rule" you now set your console gaming ports to be fully "opened".

Now to check a few things, go back into your Verizon routers home page and to the left you can see "port forwarding: Enable Applications: Games, IM & Others), if it is not there click "firewall settings" and to the left you'll see "port forwarding".  Once your in there you will see your STB's (set top boxes) and their IPs, you should NOT see your NetDuma's IP here, if you do you can click the box and "delete" it. It should not be there from us going into NetDuma's miscellaneous settings and turning OFF"Enable UPNP Forwarding".

Fire up your game, for me it's CODaw, make sure your "NAT Type" in the multiplayer page is "Open", if it is moderate or strict you must recheck the Port Forwarding in the NetDuma's settings, that the IP is your consoles and you opened port 3074.

~~disclaimer~~~

This took me some time from trial and error stuff. I been gaming since Intellivision, yes Atari era. I began online Multiplayer gaming when I found Counterstrike, played that from Spring of 99' v1.1 until CS:Source. I then got into CODmw when I bought a XB360 and was hooked. The game relies on connection (ping). The faster your internet was the more you suffered, after MW2... I tried everything, capping my internet speeds to almost DSL speed, even bought a "l*gb*ster" which made my games WORSE. That is until the NetDuma was released, I had to have it and been happy ever since. Their support is great in the forums and on Twitter, they get back to me within 30 mins with any questions I have. I hope my thread helps FIO's players, if you have any questions or comments please post and I will try and help you all as best as I can.

This is my first port so bear with me and add or take away what you like. In the NYC area and I'm sure Verizon FIOs across the USA we have the "Modem/Router" which also gives out set top boxes their internet for the TV guide, DVR, streaming movies, etc. So in a round about way with A LOT of trial and error I found the best settings for COD and gaming in general, so lets get to it.

First you must assign your NetDuma a IP off the Verizon router so we can then put it into a DMZ off the Verizon Router. To do this you must go into your Verizon Routers home page VIA 192.168.1.1 on the backside of the router it will show the user name and password, User name is usually admin and password is a bunch of letters, numbers and characters. Once "in" you will see the "Advanced" icon in the upper right of the routers home page, click that, it'll then ask you if your sure, click yes. Click "IP Address Distribution", then click "Connection List". You will notice your Set Top Box(es) listed her by "IP-STB#" the # showing which box you have, I have 3 so there are 3 IP-STB's. The one called "New-Host" is your NetDuma router, ohh, you should ONLY have your NetDuma plugged into the Verizon Router. To the far right next to new-host your see in the action column the middle icon is to adjust the settings, click that. The next window will show the routers IP (remember the IP, write it down) and MAC Address, on the bottom you will see "Static Lease Type" check that box so it is highlighted. You now assigned your NetDuma router a IP address, next is to DMZ the router.

To DMZ the NetDuma router we must return to the Verizon routers home page and on the top you will see "Firewall Settings" click that, it'll ask if your sure, click yes. In the firewall settings window you will see on the left you'll see "DMZ Host". Click that and put in your NetDuma's IP that I told to write down earlier, it should be something like 192.168.1.??, put that there and to the left of the IP click the box. You know put your NetDuma into a DMZ. so we are done, for now, with the Verizon Routers settings. next is a few NetDuma settings I messed with and felt like it made my gaming better.

~~From here down is my own settings, this works best for me~~~~

Go into your NetDuma router home page 192.168.88.1, I assume you already set your bandwidth and set your devices, if you haven't use NetDuma's instructions on how to. I have a PS3, a PS4 and a Apple Airport Router hooked up to my NetDuma.

Under "settings" and Miscellaneous Settings you will see "Enable upnp forwarding" UNCHECK this box, this will prevent the NetDuma from opening ports on the Verizon Router, there is no need to because the NetDuma is now in DMZ. Now turn on your console of choice, mine is PS4.

Xbox and PSN both use a very important port for gaming, 3074. So we need to make sure that port is open and flowing nicely for the consoles. Go back into NetDuma's Settings and UPNP, when that window is open UNCHECK enable, yes, turn it off, we're going to manually set the ports.

With your console on go to "Device Manager" on NetDumas page and you'll see your console(s) and their IP's, 192.168.88.??? remember your consoles IP or write it down, we're going to manually open and set the gaming port for the console.

Go back to Settings/Port Forwarding, for Rule Name you can put in what you want I use PSN for my Playstations and XBL for Xbox consoles. For start port put in 3074 and end port put 3074, for protocol click the drop down menu and put "TCP & UDP", then put in the last # of your console IP, and click "add rule" you now set your console gaming ports to be fully "opened".

Now to check a few things, go back into your Verizon routers home page and to the left you can see "port forwarding: Enable Applications: Games, IM & Others), if it is not there click "firewall settings" and to the left you'll see "port forwarding".  Once your in there you will see your STB's (set top boxes) and their IPs, you should NOT see your NetDuma's IP here, if you do you can click the box and "delete" it. It should not be there from us going into NetDuma's miscellaneous settings and turning OFF"Enable UPNP Forwarding".

Fire up your game, for me it's CODaw, make sure your "NAT Type" in the multiplayer page is "Open", if it is moderate or strict you must recheck the Port Forwarding in the NetDuma's settings, that the IP is your consoles and you opened port 3074.

~~disclaimer~~~

This took me some time from trial and error stuff. I been gaming since Intellivision, yes Atari era. I began online Multiplayer gaming when I found Counterstrike, played that from Spring of 99' v1.1 until CS:Source. I then got into CODmw when I bought a XB360 and was hooked. The game relies on connection (ping). The faster your internet was the more you suffered, after MW2... I tried everything, capping my internet speeds to almost DSL speed, even bought a "l*gb*ster" which made my games WORSE. That is until the NetDuma was released, I had to have it and been happy ever since. Their support is great in the forums and on Twitter, they get back to me within 30 mins with any questions I have. I hope my thread helps FIO's players, if you have any questions or comments please post and I will try and help you all as best as I can.

Great thread m8, could even be worth a sticky :)

No problem, I feel as if most people buying the NetDuma are COD players like myself. I don't have much time to play games, but when I do I like them to play well, thats why I bought the NetDuma. I live about 20 miles from NYC, I set my Geo-Filter to 86 miles and Ping Assist (PA) to 10. Before I did these settings I posted I had to open up my filter to like 300-400 miles and PA to 25-30 to get good games. Now I set it real "tight and low" and get into games right away, even Ground War, which is hard. Low ping is great but with COD a good way to know your in a good game is if you "see" bullets. Everyone has the "I dumped 20-25 rounds INTO him and he did not die?!?", when your playing and shooting, look to see if you can "see" your bullets leaving your gun, maybe only 50-75 percent will be seen, but that is how you know your in a good game.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Cheers KAC, really informative post thanks for taking the time to write it. I'll move it to modems forum for other people in future.

I'm just going to say for most people I recommend just leaving UPnP on with our router and let it open the NAT itself. 

EDIT: I see you've done that already :D  

Yes, you can leave the NetDuma's UPNP "enabled", but I felt as if it will only open either upd or tcp for the 3074 port, where I like to open both TCP & UDP. That is why I disabled it and opened the ports "manually". Also under misc. there is a "enable upnp forwarding", I un-ticked "disabled" that because the Verizon Router already DMZ'd the NetDuma, with it ticked it will open port(s) on the Verizon router that are not needed to be opened.

• 3 weeks later...

I too have verizon with my r1 dmz. I also have the r1 upnp forward enable.. I wonder if this may cause me issues because my Verizon has now a lot of ports open as well as my r1. I think only one should have the ports needed open.

Yes, if you go to settings/miscellaneous and the 4th one down called "enable upnp forwarding" UNTICK that so the box isn't highlighted, that will prevent the Verizon router from opening the ports it doesn't need to

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Kohloff

Ok, been playing with it for a few weeks now, mostly with CODaw, and found a few tweaks and updates to "change" and do. Leave your NetDuma router in a DMZ off the Fios Actiontec router (where you had to go into your FIO router, assign the R1 a IP and DMZ it in the firewall settings). This is what needs to change OR your going to get a moderate NAT, these settings will also work with a X360, X1, PS3 and PS4. In your NetDuma's home page 192.168.88.1 go into Settings/UPnP and ENABLE it, I know I had it disabled before, just opening the ports manually wont open some ports for your consoles network (eg PSN or XboxLive). If you followed my ways before go into Settings/PortForwarding and delete the rules I set for the 3074 ports. I'm sorry for any confusion, like I said this a trial and error thread, kinda like my "beta" thread. Now where I got some real performance gains... Congestion Control and where you should set it.. Using "Network Monitor" in your Netduma's home page, set it to just monitor your console your currently playing. Assuming under congestion control you already "Set Bandwidth", I pay for 35/35, but for some reason its 40-43/28-30sh, so I put 40/30. Back to Network Monitor, when playing if you have a laptop or tablet that you can have near you while gaming, try and keep a eye on the percentage of bandwidth your console is using. watch for peaks, keep a eye on that #, mine was peaking like 15% sometimes 17% in CODaw before and after maps, so I round it up to 20%... Now go into Congestion Control "Anti Flood". NetDuma has been setting them at 70% for the rule of thumb, I set mine to 80% giving that extra 20% for my console. If your using more that one console at the same time, monitor them both and find their combined peaks, round the # up, subtract it from 100 and thats what you set your flood meter at, bye bye lag, hello hit detection...

Guest chris regan

I'll have to try that out but let me see if I understand I have 50/50 and only use 1 to 3%so I should set cc to 75%? I'm posting from my phone so I'll have to try this later when I get home

yea, Bandwidth is funny like that, if you use Speedtest.net you'll notice it takes a few to "max" the meter out, especially in upload speed. Thats why I say "round up", I have two smart phones on my network, a laptop and a iPad. Doing this my COD was right on target, no emptying shots into the enemy with only 1 out of 3 of them "counting". This is my question now as far as the "Anti Flood" is concerned, if we were to set it at 0% and had a console "active" would that console now be allowed to take 100% of your network speed?

• 3 weeks later...

So I been messing around more with settings, following Simjc74 on both twitter and youtube, his videos actually sold me the NetDuma. He came across a tweak with disabling IPv6. I came across this little tidbit in the NetDuma wiki as well

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=disable_ipv6

But when I disabled all 3 IPv6's I was having issues getting online, so a little trial and error I concluded you only disable 2 of them, the WAN and the miscellaneous, NOT the LAN (local areal network) one. check it out, try it out and let me know if it helps your gaming. Like I said I play CODaw on PS4 and CODmw3 (which I think is the best COD) on PS3.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I been messing around more with settings, following Simjc74 on both twitter and youtube, his videos actually sold me the NetDuma. He came across a tweak with disabling IPv6. I came across this little tidbit in the NetDuma wiki as well

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=disable_ipv6

But when I disabled all 3 IPv6's I was having issues getting online, so a little trial and error I concluded you only disable 2 of them, the WAN and the miscellaneous, NOT the LAN (local areal network) one. check it out, try it out and let me know if it helps your gaming. Like I said I play CODaw on PS4 and CODmw3 (which I think is the best COD) on PS3.

Only WAN and Misc? Could this work for everybody?

My MTU is set at "automatic" for both the Actiontec (FIOs router) and the R1 (NetDuma). I been doing a lot more "trial and error" testing with the routers features and trying my best to tweak the settings for COD and I came across some great settings. In the original post I mentioned how to make your R1 DMZ'd off the FIOs router, now if you have ANYTHING else please make it go through the R1, I have a PS3, a PS4 and a Apple Airport extreme that feeds wifi to my house and my daughters WiiU. Everyone has heard and came across the videos of people capping their speeds to "eliminate" and "work around" COD evil lag compensation, SIMjc74 has a few youtube videos giving ways to do it, and a great thread in the NetDuma forums under "techbabble".. In the thread a few member brought up "bufferbloat", bufferbloat is evil for multiplayer FPS games.. What raised my brow was in a COD game having Blindeye perk on with a heavy guy emptying rounds into a gunship I will "hear" hits not making it, and I was wondering where they went??? It bothered me and I wanted to find why.. I live outside NYC on a fiber connection, I can ping a California server at 75ms which is good, anything under 100 is good IMO. In SIM's thread a few members brought up DSLreports speed test.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Using it I found ai had a poor rating for bufferbloat and a poor rating for quality? I have a 50/50 fiber connection, wtf... This is where playing with the NetDumas Congestion Control settings and Algorithm truly showed why this router is the best gaming router.. When I lowered my Congestion Control (CC) to 70% 9which is what NetDuma's wiki recommends for my connection my ratings went up for both, but not A+ which is what I want. Upon changing my algorithm from Reactive to Preemptive I got A+ for both bufferbloat and quality, speed went down, but who cares? you can survive on a low DSL almost 56k to play COD.. my 50/50 was now a 30/30, big deal... I still have fiber... 

Now is a part where I might get bashed in the forums, I DO NOT use geo filter, I have my home location pin on my location, but geo filter is disabled. I will monitor my host's ping to see if it is jumpy. The reason I don't is I live on the east coast, there are A LOT of people playing COD so the farthest player might be in Chicago or even Texas (pinging like <50ms, good enough for me. When I use Geo Filter I get host a lot and I feel as if I get more lag comp'd in game. It's almost like I am playing with people that are "closer", but have capped bandwidth (the wrong way) or people that are stealing their neighbors wifi 4 houses down the road. When I click "peer ping" I noticed the lobbies pings were ALL OVER, one guy was pinging 300!! wtf, how can I hit someone when I am .3 seconds behind them? With Geo Filter off the whole lobby is under 50, 4 bars, game on..

The reason I keep everything on my network "behind" the R1 is So Congestion control can do its thing, along with the algorithm. 

I hope this helps, I know I had ideas I was all over the place with, everyone is different, fiber, DSL, cable, etc. and then there is location's UK, USA, Canada, South America, I'm sure their connections are all over. This is what works for me with Verizon FIO's 50/50 using their router, ohh the wifi is disabled in their router too, if I can help a few players great, if I can't I'm sorry, this is how I roll.

Archived