Power outage broke the router

This is the first time any of this has happend to me is there anyway to prevent this from happening again?

In my opinion, no... Although some people claim really expensive surge protectors will help.

I want to say this has happened before to someone else's router. Duma Army beware of power outages/surges.

i cant even play any games without the duma no stop lag on my connection hopefully that was just a one time thing but im gonna purchase some new surge protectors off amazon

In my opinion, no... Although some people claim really expensive surge protectors will help.

actually thats a bit of a myth, surge protectors are not that good at Ethernet surge suppression.

for that it's really better to use a surge suppressing in-line shunt ( http://bit.ly/1Wt0HzCand http://bit.ly/1Vr6RBt $22 and $29 respectively ) which shunts any surge voltage or current directly to ground in the event of abnormal line conditions.

only caveat is they need to have a direct line to either a grounding rod out side or to the ground pin of a electrical outlet; so obviously this is not the best solution for people with little to no experience doing low power electrical work (so circuit design or troubleshooting or basic wiring skills) due to lack of skills and/or knowledge.

but these do arrest surges with an almost 95% success rate (extreme surges can still get by and fry everything but that is usually only from a direct lighting strike or something of that nature; nothing can protect from that once it hits a circuit)

one or two of these on the main lines to the router and to the modem is a pretty good defense when combined with quality surge protectors on all the outlets to connected equipment (which should be done anyway)

If you are home when there is a power outage the best course of action always pull every device out of all the sockets and just leave one light on so you know when it's back on.

It's normal for it to come back on the off again so I wait a good 10 minutes before I turn the devices back on.

• Administrators

Ive emailed you i really appreciate the help and a replacement of my unit you guys really are the best

No worries at all!

I've changed the title of the thread to convey the issue more accurately. I'll now close this thread as this will be resolved via email now. 

Archived